The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 14, 2008, 03:54 PM   #51
MeekAndMild

Nothing like walking out of the woods in the dark and the night animals stop making noises. Then you start smelling cat pee where it wasn't when you went in the woods in daylight. The bobcats here run in size from slightly bigger than a house cat to one Mrs. Meek and I saw which was the size of a pit bull. So I'm really afraid to meet one in the dark.

Quote:
I don't know, but it mumbled like an old grumpy man as it circled the tent, in the woods, 12 miles from a dirt road.
Sounds like it may have been an armadillo. They make weird noises. First time I heard one it sounded something like Popeye the Sailor talking to himself.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old December 17, 2008, 01:08 AM   #52
wyobohunter

A "whoof" sound when I'm battling my way through an alder jungle... Also any noise at all when I'm on a solo backpack hunt laying in my tent at night. Little critters tend to grow into big critters in the minds eye and you hear every stinking one of them when there's nobody to talk to.
Old December 17, 2008, 03:20 AM   #53
Viking Josh

Spiders give me the creeps, snakes are a bit intimidating, but a grizzly, I'd s**t bricks if one snuck up on me.
Old December 17, 2008, 03:38 AM   #54
freakintoguns

let me put my fear of spiders liek this: iud rather box a grizzly bear barehanded and covered in honey then see a spider in the woods. when i was 16 or 17 we went campign and had a black widow crawl on my arm, im 6'1" and then i was 275 and could bnch 495 lbs to give you idea about my build....i screamed lieka 2 year old girl and booked it from the tent to my truck, and was back in town in 30 minutes. we were camping a hour and half out from town.
Old December 17, 2008, 03:58 PM   #55
wyobohunter

I have to admit, I was pretty squeemish about spiders for most of my life. The military helped with that though. I've walked through lots of Banana spider webs while on night (training) patrols in Asian jungles, that sucked esp. when you can feel the bugger crawling on you.
What was worse was sleeping in the sand every night in Kuwait during the summer... Lots of critters really "get to know you" and are "there to great you" in the morning. Snakes haven't really bothered me too much, we used to eat lots of Rattle snakes when I was growing up in Montana. I did however "drop trou." in Kuwait only to have a pit viper appear and start chasing me. Maybe he wasn't actually chasing me but when you are back peddling with your pants around your ankles it sure seems like the chase is on. After about 6 swats with my e-tool the "chase" was over.
To me, something that can pick me up and shake me in its' mouth is really scary.
Old December 18, 2008, 02:57 PM   #56
Noonan

This guy scared the hell out of me

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=312428
Old December 18, 2008, 04:17 PM   #57
grymster2007

I'm fearless!

The aliens thing bothers me a bit though. I know aliens have never visited Earth and they probably aren't coming in my lifetime either, but my little brain stem always say "what if" when I'm in the dark woods or driving a desolate section of road at night.

Alien is the only movie that ever scared me. None of the sequels did and no other movie has come close. I'm always looking for another scare that would equal that. Tried "Fire in the Sky" but it just didn't do anything for me.
Old December 18, 2008, 06:44 PM   #58
Huntergirl

Grizzley bear, beautiful, but not near me.
Old December 18, 2008, 08:50 PM   #59
Swampghost

Don't really have one.

Had a Puma sneak up on me once, that would have been a H*** of a fight.

Got charged by a big boar hog, that was pretty intense for a few seconds.

One that really raised the hackles was finding two pairs of of non-human footprints that were still filling with water when my youngest bro and I were rabbit hunting south of SR84. We were both carrying 12ga's so not too much to worry about but we both went on full alert. I have believed in the Skunkape ever since.

Those Banana spiders will put a hurtin' on you. I had a buddy got bit on the belly and he sported a purple patch the size of a dinner plate for about two weeks. I walk the dark with a small branch in front of me.
Old December 18, 2008, 11:20 PM   #60
scorpion_tyr

Had a puma near me. Didn't know it. All I knew was it got really quiet and I got really scared. Walked away and didn't sleep well. Found the tracks about 50 yards from where I had been hanging out. That's not all that close, but it was close enough to scare the hell out of me. And they say there's no mountain lions in East TX. Not many, but they're there. That's what scares me most in the field. The unknown.
Old December 18, 2008, 11:39 PM   #61
JonnyReb

Whenever i get spooked by whatevers going bump in the night, i will start planning how bad i'm going to mess it up if it's dumb enough to try me. I'm no badarse but the war cry it'll hear before we tangle may be enough to send it packin. Always helps to know you've got a plan. *

*this would not include alligators
Old December 18, 2008, 11:45 PM   #62
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Reb, Them lizards are one of the less *spooky* critters to me. While I am not a gator wrestler, I know I can't out run them so a side step and pounce is my only planned defense... Yeah I hear ya'll now... "Hey H-dogs, lemme know how that pounce works for ya..."
Brent
Old December 19, 2008, 01:45 AM   #63
onthejon55

Sasquatch...
Old December 19, 2008, 09:01 AM   #64
JonnyReb

Well i guess you gotta do something...pouncing's a heckuvalot better than fainting. Maybe.

I'm not afraid of gators to see one from a boat or even eyeing each other from a bit of a distance.....it's the thought of the "jaws" effect. Your wading in some 3 ft deep water, in a florida canal, trying to slay some peacock bass. All of the sudden you feel a bump and a 10 footer grabs your leg and starts spinning. Pouncing at that point would be hard if not impossible so at that point either dig your kershaw out of your pocket and filet the sob or faint

Not that you'll ever find me wading around in florida freshwater...If i ever do a guided fishing trip in florida and the guide shows up with some of them belly boats...we ain't goin!!
Old December 19, 2008, 09:23 AM   #65
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Wading in a florida canal is a dicey situation... When hog hunting it is forced on us to stay with the dogs quite often... But I do not just decide all willy nilly to wade in one! That is kind of up there with a fluffy pomeranian entering one of my otherwise dog friendly bulldog's chain circle and yappin in her face while she has a t-bone in under her face... No sir I am high up on the ladder of predators and don't intentionally step down a rung or 3
Brent
Old December 19, 2008, 10:56 AM   #66
Kreyzhorse

Snakes totally freak me out....... Almost stepped on a rattler in Wyoming so that really cranked up the snake fear factor.

A close second is spiders. My buddy found a black widow spider while turkey hunting this spring..... Hate spiders but now that black widows are hiding in open fields, it's even worse.
Old December 20, 2008, 01:49 AM   #67
T. O'Heir

I don't like snakes, but I'm bigger than they are so I get over the scare quickly. The bush, up here, is decidedly gentle when compared to some places. Venomous snakes are extremely rare(Massasauga rattlers are endangered and their bite doesn't kill. You'll get really sick. Just seeing one is a thrill. I think I saw a wee one, once. He was asleep streched out on a rock.), no nasty spiders(you bunch of sissies. You weigh a billion times more than any spider. Geez!) nor big cats. Yogi is smart enough to stay away from people for the most part. Stupid people moving into Yogi's back yard and not taking measures with their garbage, etc are encountering him seemingly more, but left alone, Yogi will just go about his bear life and leave you alone too.
The night is your friend if you learn to deal with it.
What does he think an owl is going to do?
Old December 20, 2008, 01:16 PM   #68
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned skunks. They're absolutely fearless (with good reason ) and rule the night.

I was sitting in a field under a full moon one night when I heard rustling in the grass and saw a white patch moving right beside me. I froze and it walked down to my feet and proceeded to chew on my shoestrings . I discovered a whole new meaning to "cold sweat" . It fooled around for eternity (a whole 10-15 seconds) before deciding the smell from my feet wasn't, in fact, coming from a relative and moved on.

If you've ever received a direct blast from one of these guys, you know it's a fate worse than death .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 20, 2008, 09:38 PM   #69
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Capt.C, You know the one time I use mommas cherokee to hunt and one of the dogs got a full face shot... It is my general way to just load the dogs as I ain't ever done any good after a dog gets sprayed. Junior wanted to hog tie the dog to the roof rack:barf:
Brent
Old December 21, 2008, 03:10 PM   #70
grymster2007

Quote:
before deciding the smell from my feet wasn't, in fact, coming from a relative and moved on.
A very discerning skunk!

I had to wait 10 minutes for one to meander across the driveway one morning. Until then, I had not liked the cat that hung out under my truck. Now I'm happy to see him 'cause that means there's no skunk under there.
Old December 21, 2008, 04:25 PM   #71
TheNatureBoy

As long as I don't see a snake I'm ok. Some of the guys keep talking about seeing a ape/man like creature they call "hootie" in the woods. Haven't seen him as of yet. Probably would rather see him than a snake
Old December 21, 2008, 04:33 PM   #72
JonnyReb

About the skunks... Not at all scared of them and actually kind of like the smell... but only from a distance.

Was walking in to my stand the other week by moonlight and saw something glimmer in the trail ahead. Wisely i snapped my light on and am glad i did as a skunk was digging in the trail. He paid me no attention at all as i went around but if i'd booted him in the dark i'd have had one heck of a good cover scent for a week or two!!..J.R.
Old December 21, 2008, 04:50 PM   #73
onthejon55

+1 skunks

I got that lesson form my grandpa at a young age. when your setting out box traps for rabbits. "If you open the door and see black and white, RUN LIKE HELL!"
Old December 21, 2008, 06:21 PM   #74
Deet

The only thing that gets me scared is a big ole hole on the side of the trail. I never know what made the hole, if its in there, or if it is going to come out and attack me, I surely hate hole digging creatures.
Old December 21, 2008, 09:55 PM   #75
bcarver

Quail

Covey of quail-early in the morning-bursting straight up.