The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 2, 2018, 04:04 PM   #1
fourbore

Midway sale on 450 Bushmaster upper

Midway is offering their house brand, AR15 upper in 450 Bushmaster at $399. $599 regular price. A holiday weekend sale. I think this is (or could be) a good way to get into a big bore at a low price.

I though this day would come after Ruger adopted the 450BM.
Old September 4, 2018, 05:54 AM   #2
fourbore

I expected someone else might go for one of these. Nobody?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/46...scription-link

Or else some cautions regarding the AR Stoner quality? The hand guard does not float or make for a Christmas tree of accessories.

Suitable for hunting in some of those special hunting zones in mid western states. Take the noise maker off the barrel and you got a pretty handy rifle.
Old September 4, 2018, 08:38 AM   #3
kymasabe

I may be wrong but...my understanding is phosphate coated barrels don't have a lining of any kind, while nitride, qpq, or melonite barrels are coated inside as well as outside. So, I tend to shy away from phosphate, though with proper cleaning and lubing would probably last as long as any other barrel in the stable.
Old September 4, 2018, 08:46 AM   #4
kymasabe

Don't forget Bear Creek Arsenal too...
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/ua4...6124-p-12-mlok
Old September 4, 2018, 10:56 AM   #5
fourbore

That Bear Creek 450 looks pretty good. Better fore arm. Although, it might not matter much in my case. It does float the barrel. For better or worse, I placed an order with Midway. I happy with that choice between the two. Then, I would have to be at this point.

Bear Creek is another 450 for short money. Well then, I repeat, the Ruger effect is taking hold. I am a little mixed in my feelings. I rated 450 as my 3rd favorite behind 458 socum 1st and 50 BW second. I am not going to fight the fed. Ruger has set the standard and that is ok too.
Old September 4, 2018, 11:11 AM   #6
fourbore

A though on the barrel wear and coatings. A subject I am pretty ignorant on. Even as a reloader, there is no way, I could ever wear out a big bore AR. It is just too much money or time loading plus money.
Old September 4, 2018, 02:37 PM   #7
gshayd

Mag Phosphate is also called parkerizing.... it's on the exterior of the barrel. It may or may not have a chrome lining. Melonite/Nitrizing creates a compound layer in the first 10 to 20 microns of a barrel. It is not a coating.

Last edited by gshayd; September 4, 2018 at 02:45 PM.