The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 4, 2011, 01:47 PM   #1
pshaw

45/70 question

Hi All,

I have a T/C with an SSK 45/70 barrel. The reloading manuals suggest a much lighter powder charge for the handgun as compared to the rifle loads. I've purchased and shot factory ammo and reloads from gun show dealers for years without any problem. Is the lighter loads specifically for Thompson barrels or is my SSK barrel better able to handle the factory rifle loads?

Thanks, Rog
Old February 4, 2011, 01:56 PM   #2
hornetguy

I would think that the TC (contender? or Encore?) would be capable of handling the pressure of any of the older "trapdoor" kind of loads. I'm not sure about the levergun pressure loads... but my question, after shooting some moderate loads in my Marlin 1895 is WHY would you want to shoot a hotter load out of a handgun? I know muzzle brakes help, but after shooting the .35 Remington from a 14" contender, I'm pretty sure I don't want anything other than mildly moderate loads in a handheld gun. But, I could just be a wimp...
I would think that barrel strength is not an issue at all.
Old February 4, 2011, 01:59 PM   #3
mapsjanhere

45/70 is probably the cartridge with the widest available load data, from cowboy-action stuff to elephant level near the 458 WM. Most reloading manuals qualify the loads by the type of gun firing, from Trapdoor to Ruger#1. The reason your handgun is in the lower range is two-fold. For once the action isn't quite as strong as a rifle, the other reason is that you're blowing a lot of gases quite uselessly out the front with typical rifle loads in a 10" or so barrel. So lighter loads of faster powders make sense from a performance point too.
Old February 4, 2011, 02:00 PM   #4
hornetguy

This is a cut and paste from a google search.. apparently someone posted on another forum that TC recommends only "trapdoor" strength loads for the contender. The Encore should be able to handle nearly any 45-70 load, I would think.

"45/70 Contender rifle loads? - Shooters Forum15 posts - 7 authors - Last post: Oct 4, 2008
TC recommends trapdoor loads only, Hodgdon lists their loads below 28kcup in their 2008 Annual and the Hornady 6th 45-70 Contender loads are ...
shootersforum.com › Singe Shot Arms › Single-Shot Rifles - Cached - Similar
Get more discussion results
Videos for how heavy 45-70 loads for contender..."
Old February 4, 2011, 02:07 PM   #5
pshaw

Hornetguy, I doubt that you're a wimp. I shoot 300 gr jhp, 350 gr jrn, 400 gr jhp, & 500 gr jrn. The 500's have a wallop but you get used to it. With the Contender frame and SSK barrel, I was hoping to use the heavier loads to increase my accuracy at farther distances.

Rog
Old February 4, 2011, 02:29 PM   #6
Edward429451

Maybe TC recommends lower level loads for them because there is less front sight damage from foreheads on returned guns.

TC's enjoy thier own page in some reloading manuals. They are tougher than you are.