The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 30, 2002, 09:27 AM   #1
Quantrill

M. Stevens 416

Need some information and disassembly instructions for a Stevens Model 416. Barrel is marked "X barrel" and "US Property".Serial #206xxx. This semms to be a .22 target rifle with a heavy stock and bull barrel. It has Lyman peep sights and a "77" front sight. There is no safety. Where to get parts as I doubt the magazine is the correct one. Thanks in advance, Quantrill
Old July 30, 2002, 11:36 AM   #2
Steven Mace

Quantrill, the Stevens Model 416 was made from about 1937-1949. This was a .22 LR caliber bolt-action rifle with a target style stock. It had a 24"-26" heavy barrel with a 5-shot detachable magazine. A standard Model 416 in excellent condition could be worth about $110-$140.

There were 10,000 marked, like yours, "U.S. Property" on the rear of the bolt housing. These were used as training rifles by the U.S. military. This version of the Model 416 was made at a cost of $22.42 each. Today, this variant of the Model 416 will have a healthy premium added to it in similar condition.

For replacement parts for the Stevens Model 416 I would recommend contacting the people at The Small Arms Shop. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old August 4, 2002, 10:18 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I too have one of those rifles in the safe. They are a wonderful rifle.
The magazine is the same as used in some Winchesters and Savages IIRC, the slot in the magazine bodyl (for the magazine catch) is in a slightly different place.
Old August 4, 2002, 11:40 AM   #4
Quantrill

Gentlemen,
I thank you kindly for your information and comments. I took the rifle to the gunsmith to assure it's safety (and mine). After fixing a number of minor problems, he has pronounced it fit to shoot and complemented me on the acquisition of a fine old rifle. I even learned that one of the bottom "screws" was in fact the bolt release. I now intend shooting it with the first break in the hot weather in this part of the country. I always wanted a "target .22" and even though I doubt it will be shot in competition, I hope to enjoy it. Thanks again, Quantrill