The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 16, 2002, 12:59 PM   #1
Alex Johnson

Price range for Colt 32 automatics

I was in the gunstore this afternoon (gonna have to stop going there) and I saw an old Colt 32 sitting in the case. Anyway it looks like it's complete and in good mechanical shape though it's missing a lot of it's finish probably in 50% condition, almost looks like it might have been parkerized. Anyway I was looking at it strictly as a shooter and possible project gun there asking $279 for it does that sound fair?
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old July 16, 2002, 02:05 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Well, the Blue Book says the most common version is worth $200 at 60% finish, but it might be an uncommon version.
If it is truly parkerized and marked US Property, one bought by the government for spooks and Generals, it is listed there at a price of $275 and would probably bring more.

The question is, do you really want it, and if so, where could you find one cheaper or better?
Old July 16, 2002, 02:24 PM   #3
Alex Johnson

Thanks for the information, haven't really decided how desperately I need it, I'll probably stop back and take another closer look at the markings. If it is a military piece the novelty of the history behind it might be worth the $279 price.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old July 16, 2002, 03:30 PM   #4
Alex Johnson

While, I went back to the store to take another look at it and it turns out somebody had refinished it years ago, the markings were pretty much buffed away during the refinishing, not enough left to work with to make it worth my time to refinish it. Oh well, appearances can be deceiving.
- Mark Twain