The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 14, 2002, 12:18 AM   #1
TEX

S&W Air Rifle

I am searching for information on a S&W air rifle that I recently rescued from the trash bin. It is pretty worn, but not torn up and I am considering restoring it. It is a model 77A in .22 caliber. It is a single shot pump action that is the size of a real rifle. The frame and front sight housing appear to be aluminum or maybe zinc, while most all other parts are steel. The stock and forearm are bron painted wood with a black plastic butt plate with a large S&W logo. THe barrel is stamped Smith & Wesson, Springfield MA, MOD 77A, .22 CAL. It has a thumb safety (that works) similar to a Mossberg shotgun. Although you can cock it and the trigger works, there appears to be no compressed air being released. I suspect the seals are shot.

Any information anyone has on this item, or any hints on where I might find such information, would be appreciated. I have no idea how old it is, but because of the circumstance involved in my acquiring it, I suspect it has not be fired in close to 20 years, but I could be wrong. I was not even aware that S&W ever made air rifles.

TIA - TEX
Old July 14, 2002, 02:20 AM   #2
C.R.Sam

Propably made by somebody else and marketed by S&W.

Might try their customer service desk.
[email protected]

They might also have manual and parts breakdown.

Might.

Sam