The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 4, 2002, 09:12 AM   #1
Keifer

need info on nonshooter Parkhurst S/G

My bro-in-law recently got hold of a very old, exposed hammer double barrel s/g and asked me if I could find out anything about it. I shoot but don't collect (my gun locker has a VERY high turnover rate ) Here's what i can tell you about the gun:

price paid $20.00
gauge 12
markings: (all on the barrels)
1. "PARKHURST"
2. "BELGIAN LAMINATED STEEL"
condition - poor
- the barrels have come apart from the rib and are being held together w/ electrical tape
- one of the hammers is missing
- the stock is very rough

He wants to turn it into a wall hanger so it's not too big of a deal but he'll keep it as is or restore it depending on it's (potential) value.

Thanks in advance
Old July 4, 2002, 10:14 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

This is all I have on the shotgun, from SXS's of The World by Charles Carder

HJN
Old July 4, 2002, 01:48 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just a few comments, FWIW.

I think it strange that even a moderate quality English gun went to ruin so completely. It was common in the late 19th and early 20th century to import cheap Belgian made double barrel shotguns and mark them with names similar to the makers of good quality British or American guns.

Thus we had fictitious names like T. BARKER, W. RICHARDS, WESTLEY & SCOTT, BREENER, etc. The guns sold for a few dollars and lasted a few years if the buyer was lucky.

Laminated steel is another version of what is called Damascus steel. True Damascus is built up by twisting strips of iron and steel, heating them white hot, and wrapping them around a mandrel, welding them together by hammer blows. Laminated steel is made the same way, except the strips are larger and are steel rather than the twisted iron and steel of Damascus. Neither method produces a strong barrel and in my opinion, the guns should not be fired.

You might look for proof marks under the barrels; if you describe them, we can tell you if the gun is English or Belgian.

In any case, I don't think the gun is worth repairing. I would have someone do a quick weld job to tack the barrels together, then weld up the firing pins so the gun can't be fired, and use it as a wall hanger.

HTH

Jim