The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 28, 2018, 03:53 PM   #1
shurshot

Colt Det. Snub, Police issue...

Ok, I need to pick the brains of the Colt fans. I just this hour acquired via a trade, a minty Colt Det. .38 snub, and the serial number range indicates it was manufactured in 1970. My question, its marked on the frame on each side, in what appears to be Police Dep. Letters. On the cylinder latch side, just above the trigger guard, " APD93 ". Opposite side " AP93 ". Excellent condition, either wasn't issued or sat in a desk drawer as there is no holster wear. My first thought is since this gun was bought in mid Maine, 20 years ago, possibly Augusta Maine Police Dept. But, perhaps it was Augusta GA, or Albuquerque NM or another "A" city??? I say possibly another State as the vast majority (but not all), of Maine LEO agencys carried Smith & Wesson in that era.
Any retired LEO's or Colt collectors have a hunch which Police Dept's issued .38 Colt Snubs in 1970??? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by shurshot; July 28, 2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old July 28, 2018, 06:00 PM   #2
lamarw

You may want to do an internet search and see if Colt still issues a Certificate of Authenticity or whatever they call it. I received one years ago for an old M1911. It included the date of manufacture, general information on the gun, date of shipment from factory, place of shipment and etc. It is a nice frameable certificate, but it will cost a few bucks.

The shipping address could be an indication of which LE Agency it ended up.

I know S&W will also let your know whether the engraving was done at the factory or after the gun was shipped.
Old July 28, 2018, 06:04 PM   #3
Jim Watson

A Colt factory letter will tell you the original configuration of the gun and where it was shipped. Matter of luck whether it went direct to APD or some distributor that then sold it on to the department.
Old July 29, 2018, 10:01 PM   #4
105kw

Don't get locked into a department being a S&W agency.

Colts held one more round than a J frame, and were lighter then a K frame 2".
At least through the 80s, Colt were popular for detectives and plainclothes/ off duty carry.
Old July 30, 2018, 10:03 PM   #5
shurshot

I don't believe I was, or am locked into anything. The fact is, Smith and Wesson, at least in much of the Northeast, were THE most popular LEO weapons in the revolver era. My Department has issued S&W's since at least the 1940's, still does, although in pistols. Could be several reasons for this regional popularity; cost, close proximity to Mass / S&W, political connections and let's not forget... S&W's are damn fine guns. I'm sure there were other regions in the Country where Colt was more popular. I have always preffered S&W's triggers myself. That being said, yes, that 6th round the Detective Special has over the 5 shot Chief Special is always appreciated!

Last edited by shurshot; July 31, 2018 at 04:53 AM.
Old July 31, 2018, 12:07 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

With 6rounds the Colt is a little bulkier than the 5 rnd Smith, and being a Colt, its more expensive, but the Colt can use the same 6rnd speedloaders as the S&W K frame duty gun, and that's a plus seldom mentioned.
Old August 1, 2018, 11:24 AM   #7
SaxonPig

Where do you live? Think of cities in your state starting with an A. I know the Austin PD (Texas) stamped their revolvers. But it could be any "A" city.

Being stamped it was issued and not a personal purchase. Register at the Colt Forum and ask. Someone there may know which city used it.
Old August 1, 2018, 08:51 PM   #8
105kw

Shurshot, I apologise for some bad choice of wording.

I grew up in the Yakima valley, Washington State.
As I started getting interested in guns, I was lucky enough to talk to, and learn from several retired officers.
This was Smith & Wesson country, by the early 70s at least. K frame .38&.357s were THE gun for most cops.
The only execption seemed to be Detective/Plainclothes officers, who mostly, by my perception at least, bought Colt Detective Special or alloy frame Agent/Cobra.
One more round, over a J frame, 5 oz lighter then a K ..38.

Most cops locally bought their own guns, and bought Smiths. Model 28s were a lot cheaper then Model 19s , and loads less then anything Colt.
I really have a soft spot for 3 and 4" N and K Smiths.
Old August 2, 2018, 04:53 PM   #9
shurshot

No apology needed. Just men talking guns... LOL! Ford vs Chevy, S&W vs Colt, Blonde vs Brunette, we all have our preferences!

Last edited by shurshot; August 2, 2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old August 2, 2018, 05:04 PM   #10
shurshot

Saxon, I'm in Maine. My hunch is the Augusta Police Dept., although I need to verify what Dept issued weapons were in that era with an old timer I know who works up that way. The gun was purchased about 2 decades ago by a friend at a small gun shop in mid Maine, so the timeline fits. My hypothesis is it was Dept issued in early 70's, Officer purchased it at retirement (late 70's or 80's?), kept it in a drawer until he passed in mid 90's. Then wife or children quickly sold it to the gunshop, desiring fast cash instead of holding onto what SHOULD have been a cherished family heirloom. Non gun people annoy me!
Old August 3, 2018, 01:57 AM   #11
105kw

Cool, I sure hope you can verify the history. At least it's got a good home.