The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 17, 2018, 11:51 PM   #1
wmg1299

Taurus Model 66 Reliability/Performance

I am strongly considering picking up a 7 round .357 Mag/38 Special revolver with a 4 inch barrel. The Taurus 66 is available from multiple retailers for several hundred dollars less than any of the Ruger or S&W offerings. I always heard mixed reviews of Taurus products when I was growing up, but I have very limited experience with modern Taurus revolvers. Should I purchase a Taurus, or save up for the Ruger or S&W? Any opinions from owners of recently produced Model 66's would be greatly appreciated.
Old July 18, 2018, 01:40 AM   #2
tallball

I have owned three older versions of the Model 66. All have been good. I've not owned a newer one. My experience with "classic" Taurus handguns, such as the 66, 85, and PT92 has been uniformly positive. The PT111 gen 2 is said to be pretty solid also (mine is good). My expectations would be lower for some of their models.
Old July 18, 2018, 05:35 AM   #3
CajunBass

I've owned an older 65 and a 66 (they have factory wood grips). I liked them a lot. Never had a problem, and the fit and finish was excellent.

The newer ones, especially the stainless ones, just don't look right, so I've never considered them.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old July 18, 2018, 05:44 AM   #4
mk70ss

Older Taurus revolvers are generally really good guns. The new Taurus offerings are fair. But good luck to you if you need warranty work done.
Old July 18, 2018, 06:39 AM   #5
wild cat mccane

One of my new 66ss had a binding cylinder this year. It Taurus shipped it back. It took 3+months but came back working fine.

The 66 trigger is nicer than the GP100 but a working man's level to the 686. I've owned all three at the same time.

If you want a revolve for fun, I think the Taurus 66 is the best option.
Old July 18, 2018, 08:33 AM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmg1299 View Post
I am strongly considering picking up a 7 round .357 Mag/38 Special revolver with a 4 inch barrel. The Taurus 66 is available from multiple retailers for several hundred dollars less than any of the Ruger or S&W offerings. I always heard mixed reviews of Taurus products when I was growing up, but I have very limited experience with modern Taurus revolvers. Should I purchase a Taurus, or save up for the Ruger or S&W? Any opinions from owners of recently produced Model 66's would be greatly appreciated.
Check it over good before paying money. See Jim March's revolver checkout.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 18, 2018, 09:44 AM   #7
T. O'Heir

The only serious issue with Taurus stuff is their customer service is poor. Hence the 3 + months wild cat mccane mentions. Their early stuff(like 35 or so years ago) had QC issues though. Heavy tool marks left on.
"...trigger is nicer..." Factory triggers are irrelevant. They all need work.
Old July 18, 2018, 12:24 PM   #8
41 Magnum

The only Taurus handgun I currently own, is a 6" Model 66 short under lug, wood grip, in blued finish. It has been completely trouble free, & is in my opinion an excellent revolver. It was reasonably priced, and handles .38 Spl. & .357 loads with exceptional performance & accuracy. What more could I ask ??!
It also often serves as my CCW in an IWB holster!

Jim
Old July 18, 2018, 01:17 PM   #9
R.A.N.G.E.R

I had the exact same considerations, except that I was considering the Tracker 627 line. While I preferred the 4” barrel model, I was at an LGS and got hooked by a 6.5” barrel 627 Tracker. It’s a nice shooter overall, everything works, but I’d like to do a little polishing of the internals, and possibly lighten or replace the springs to improve the trigger.

On another topic, I’ve heard it said that the model 66 has a heavier frame than the 627 Tracker models. That’s a plus for a magnum handgun until you consider carrying the extra weight, about 10oz, in a holster or backpack all day, or over a long distance or a climb. Still, it might add to longevity against the full power rounds, and the added weight may make it easier to control — the Tracker models are all ported to hlp control, theoretically, muzzle lift....
Old July 18, 2018, 08:47 PM   #10
wild cat mccane

I also put Wilson springs in my GP100--still the worst of the bunch.

Having owned many recent versions of all three, I question anyone who states the GP100 trigger can ever be as good as the 686 stock.

I do think the 66 has a great single action trigger.
Old July 19, 2018, 09:23 AM   #11
wnycollector

I have an early 1990's Taurus Model 82. It has been a rock solid gun that got much better with the addition of a Wilson Combat spring kit.
Old July 20, 2018, 08:08 PM   #12
craddleshooter

I have both a GP100 and a Taurus 66 and both are great guns. I carry the 66 around the property daily along with a couple of speedloaders and have had only one issue with it which was the particular ammo not the revolver...the ammo was Blazer steel and I found that it would bind the cylinder...changed ammo and have had no other problems with the 66...JM2C
Old July 20, 2018, 09:24 PM   #13
tallball

From the mid-to-late 80's and the very early 90's the model 66 and variants tend to be very good. They have a lifetime non-original owner warranty. I would be looking for an older one. They are also cheaper than the new ones.
Old July 22, 2018, 05:01 PM   #14
Jbar4Ranch

I spent 5 years as Gun Room Manager for Sportsman's Warehouse, and sent back more Taurus revolvers for warranty service than everything else COMBINED that we carried.
That said, of course they're not ALL bad, or Taurus wouldn't be in business, but they had a far, far higher incidence of warranty problems. The Judge was the worst of the worst. The Judge had a major recurring problem of the crane sliding forward out of the frame when opened. The single action Gaucho was runner up - it was so bad, they discontinued it shortly after introduction, "fixed" it, reintroduced it for a few months, the problems continued, so it was discontinued for good. I had a couple M66's that had rifling in the first inch of the barrel, then a chewed up section, then good rifling beyond that out to the muzzle. Rifling to rifling, jumping over the chewed up area and accounting for the twist rate of course, didn't line up. I don't know how that can even happen.
Autos were a different story, and I can only remember sending two back for service in five years.

All that being said, there are any number of Taurus owners who own one... or two... or three... and they'll come back and post glowing reports as a rebuttal to this post, but I dealt with THOUSANDS of them. I've had a couple M85's that were fine, and still have a 941 that works as advertised, but after my retail experience with them, I'd never, ever buy another Taurus revolver.

SASS 47015
Old August 7, 2018, 07:38 PM   #15
gunsrtools

I have a model 66 and a model 85.
Older production and both have been good guns.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old August 7, 2018, 07:43 PM   #16
Model12Win

Get a Smith.

Used police 66s can be had for not much money. FAR better guns.
Old August 7, 2018, 07:53 PM   #17
gunsrtools

Yes, that is true....And so are Ruger Security Six and GP 100.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old August 10, 2018, 08:35 AM   #18
kymasabe

On a side note...i had a Rossi 851 revolver that I'm pretty sure was somehow related to Taurus, which turned out be a nice gun after the trigger wore in a little.