The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 8, 2023, 05:46 PM   #26
Jim Watson

I was amused when Ruger left the adjustable sights off a Blackhawk, called it a Vaquero... and raised the price.
Current list prices are $849 for BH .45, $1049 for Vaquero .45.
Old January 8, 2023, 09:53 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

They left off the adjustable sight, and the "ears" part of the topstrap the sight is mounted in and rounded some edges to a more Colt like profile and called it the Vaquero.

The Vaquero no longer has a "list price" since it has been out of production for several years.

The gun currently in production is the "New Vaquero" (and it says that on it) and while it still is an SA revolver and looks very similar, it is a DIFFERENT, SMALLER gun than the Vaquero.

I've owned both. A 5.5" barrel NEW VAQUERO is the same length (butt to muzzle) as a 4 & 5/8" barrel VAQUERO.
Old January 9, 2023, 09:45 AM   #28
Jim Watson

Vaquero, New Vaquero, I haven't looked at one to see what the current roll marking is, but the catalog says: "THE RUGER VAQUERO® COMBINES THE ORIGINAL OLD WEST SINGLE-ACTION LOOK AND FEEL WITH NEW FEATURES.

And it is still $200 (!) more expensive than a Blackhawk. Hard to see why, except for vigorous merchandising a "Cowboy Gun."

Before there ever was a Vaquero, much less a New Vaquero, I saw Blackhawks with the adjustable rear removed and the top strap machined into the hog wallow configuration. The front ramp was replaced with a plain blade. Apparently well done, but then messed up with a little journeyman engraving and gold fill.

At a different gun show table, I saw a pair of "pre Vaqueros" produced by similarly remodeling Super Blackhawks, nickel plated with ivory Micarta grips and nice leather. Said to have been made for the president of the Ruger collectors' association.
Old January 9, 2023, 12:44 PM   #29
Lavan

The $200 is for the proper third screw.
Old January 9, 2023, 03:08 PM   #30
Jim Watson

I know people who will pay that, but nope, there is a $200 charge for adjustable sight delete from New Model Blackhawk to New Vaquero.
Old January 10, 2023, 11:36 AM   #31
jackmoser65

Eliminating the adjustable rear sight doesn't really save anything on the manufacturing end. If anything it's more finish work to mill and polish the top strap. Ruger's aluminum rear sights are rather cheap. The Vaquero has always had a higher level of polish and all steel parts. Though the earliest examples had aluminum ejector housings. Really the fixed sight guns are made more like the Super Blackhawk, which is also $200 more than the standard blued Blackhawk. Note the stainless Blackhawks are also a good bit higher than their blued counterparts. I would presume we're paying for the material and the finish work.

Tags
vaquero