The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 7, 2022, 01:20 PM   #1
redhawk41

Suppressed Hunting Rifle

Good day all,

I’m looking for suggestions on a platform to build a suppressed 300 Win mag hunting rifle. I have my father-in-law’s (he’s passed away several years ago) Ruger 77 tang safety but I’m not sure if I can bring myself to cut and thread the barrel.

Thanks!
Old December 7, 2022, 05:19 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Look at, Depending on budget, either a Christensen or a Ruger American. Both come factory threaded and are great shooters.
Old December 7, 2022, 07:48 PM   #3
taylorce1

What's the budget, and what do you like in a hunting rifle?
Old December 7, 2022, 09:24 PM   #4
redhawk41

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
What's the budget, and what do you like in a hunting rifle?
I'd like to be under $1000 for the barrel and action (prefer stainless) to give some room to upgrade the stock if necessary, and to mount a decent optic.

It will be primarily for elk hunting in more open areas and across wider draws, so MOE (minute of elk) up to 500 yards, weight not as much a concern but anything over 10-12 pounds including suppressor (which will likely be something like a TBAC or Nomad LT around 10oz) would be getting on the heavy side.
Old December 8, 2022, 02:01 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Do check all state and local regs about hunting with a suppressed firearm. It's not impossible that there is a reg somewhere that turns a legal hunting rifle into an illegal poaching device if "silenced".

I think most places don't even address that, but in case the place where you are DOES, its important to know.

These kinds of rules (where they exist) usually date from an earlier time, when protection of your hearing was less important than "honest men don't hide what they do" where a concealed or silenced firearm was considered almost de facto proof of criminal intent.
Old December 8, 2022, 07:14 AM   #6
GeauxTide

I'm confused. A 7mm Remington gives a report of over 160db. A suppressor reduces that number by 25-30db. Could get some fancy electronic ear plugs.......
Old December 8, 2022, 09:15 AM   #7
taylorce1

@ 44 AMP,

It's leagle to use in more states than not, but one should always check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTide
A suppressor reduces that number by 25-30db. Could get some fancy electronic ear plugs....
You're right he could, but suppressors have other benifits as well. The main one is they reduce recoil as well making a rifle more shootable without the added noise and concussion from a brake. They're more comfortable to wear than ear plugs or muffs, and a suppressor doesn't get in the way of a good cheek weld like some ear muffs can. Plus you don't have to worry about people hunting and shooting with you as much.

The only real downside to suppressors is the $200 tax stamp, needing permission from the government to own, and how slow those approvals are. I've spent more money on one optic than I had on two suppressors. Since I started shooting suppressed in 2020, my friends and hunting buddies are buying them to use as well.

It is hard for people who have never been around suppressors to understand why other people use them. My wife doesn't understand, she says half the fun of shooting is the bang. She enjoys shooting revolvers the best so a suppressor wouldn't do much anyway.

@ redhawk41,

At $1000 for a stainless rifle you're severely limiting your options. There just isn't a lot out there at $1000 or less. After building a few custom rifles, I can tell you, you'll never put something together as cheaply as you can buy.

For a stainless rifle you're looking at $700-900 for a Savage or a Tikka. If you want to replace the stock, then Tikka will be your best option. Just stay away from budget rifles in general as you'll be limiting your options.

Weight should be a concern, you don't want a suppressed rifle significantly heavier than your current favorite hunting rifle. 10-12 lbs or even heavier is usually okay for a range or competition/PRS style rifle, but the majority of people hate to carry them around on a multi day hunting season after elk. So I will encourage you to try and keep the rifle 9 lbs or less, and it isn't impossible task with todays rifles, certain optics, and a Ti suppressor.

The TBAC suppressors are light the Ultra5 is only 8 oz and 5" long, then there is the new Banish Backcountry at 8 oz and 5.5" long. The Banish and TBAC Ultra5 will cost about $1000 MSRP, plus tax stamp, and taxes. The Harvester will probably be the most affordable suppressor in the 10 oz range right now, you can purchase one with a rebate for less than $700 before tax stamp and taxes through Silencer Shop.

Last edited by taylorce1; December 8, 2022 at 09:24 AM.
Old December 8, 2022, 09:25 AM   #8
redhawk41

Quote:
Do check all state and local regs about hunting with a suppressed firearm. It's not impossible that there is a reg somewhere that turns a legal hunting rifle into an illegal poaching device if "silenced".
I’m good, thanks:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations/Reg...5_BROCHURE.pdf

Quote:
I'm confused. A 7mm Remington gives a report of over 160db. A suppressor reduces that number by 25-30db. Could get some fancy electronic ear plugs.......
These electronic muffs have a 22dB reduction rating:

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...moke/p/1658368

Some suppressors, particularly on a bolt action rifle, can get 30+dB reduction:

https://pewscience.com/rankings
Old December 8, 2022, 09:42 AM   #9
redhawk41

Quote:
At $1000 for a stainless rifle you're severely limiting your options. There just isn't a lot out there at $1000 or less. After building a few custom rifles, I can tell you, you'll never put something together as cheaply as you can buy.
What would you suggest for various budgets, say <$1000, <$2500, and $2500+?

Thanks!
Old December 8, 2022, 04:45 PM   #10
taylorce1

@ redhawk41, how attached are you to having to use the .300 Win Mag?

<$1000 Stainless
1. Tikka T3x
2. M700 SPS (If you can find one.)
3. Kimber Hunter (Isn't made in .300, and stock changes would be difficult.)
4. Savage 110

<$2500
1. Christensen Arms Mesa or Ridgeline FFT
2. Kimber Mountain Ascent (Sometimes over $2500)
3. Ruger Hawkeye
4. Winchester M70 EW aka Extreme Weather (Has fluted barrel and a stock I dislike or I'd rate it higher.)

$2500+
1. Custom build
2. New Ultra Light Arms or NULA Model 28 (If you can find one.)

I limited my choices to rifles I knew were actually stainless. The M70 EW is probably my favorite rifle I personally own. I dislike the fat B&C stock they used on my Gen 1 version so I replaced it with a McMillan Edge, and because of the fluted barrel it's not ideal to shorten for suppressor use.
Old December 8, 2022, 06:28 PM   #11
MarkCO

Buy a Bergara barreled action. EZPZ.
Old December 8, 2022, 09:59 PM   #12
taylorce1

@ MarkCO, where are you finding stainless barreled actions? Everywhere I saw them listed they were out of stock.
Old December 8, 2022, 10:15 PM   #13
MarkCO

Brownells does look to be out of stock right now. But they have Christensen in stock.

I've bought several over the last year, just backorder and wait a month or two.
Old December 8, 2022, 11:31 PM   #14
taylorce1

Quote:
I've bought several over the last year, just backorder and wait a month or two.
Good to know, but I have other rifles to purchase that interest me more than the Bergara B14. I do like the Remington 700 compatibility of the Bergara. It'll definitely make things "EZPZ".

Last edited by taylorce1; December 9, 2022 at 08:52 AM.
Old December 9, 2022, 10:03 AM   #15
redhawk41

I’m pretty sure what i think I really want isn’t available in a factory rifle, which is a 22” stainless with 5/8x24 threaded muzzle.

So, I could get a Tikka Lite Veil for around $1200 and live with the extra 2”, or get a stainless Lite and fit it with the barrel I want later on down the road.

Another issue I’ve seen with the Tikka’s is the limited magazine length, so if I want to load up longer rounds like a 212g ELDX I’ll need to upgrade the bottom metal and magazines.
Old December 9, 2022, 12:29 PM   #16
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk41
so if I want to load up longer rounds like a 212g ELDX I’ll need to upgrade the bottom metal and magazines.
Just buy a .300 PRC or WSM then, you shouldn't have any issues running a 212 ELDX then. The .300 Win Mag is a great round, but it's not the only one in its category. However, when you adk for a 500 yard minute of elk rifle, you don't need a 212 ELDX bullet to get there.

Barrel lenght is easy to fix as long as you don't want to add length. Cut, crown, and thread is a fairly affordable proposition for most people, just stay away from carbon fiber or fluted barrels if you want to shorten them.

Last edited by taylorce1; December 9, 2022 at 11:35 PM.
Old December 9, 2022, 12:51 PM   #17
redhawk41

Barrel length and muzzle threading is easy when there’s enough metal to put 5/8x24 threads, which most of these barrel profiles don’t have.

At this point I think I’m ok slowly putting together a semi-custom on the Tikka T3x Lite SS ($850), with the barrel I want (22” stainless 5/8x24 muzzle thread) later on down the line (hey something to do while I wait for the suppressor!), and even further on down the line maybe a Mesa Precision stock with new bottom metal and AICS magazines.
Old December 9, 2022, 01:46 PM   #18
bamaranger

Ruger

I wouldn't cut and thread a vintage Ruger, those older rifles have very nice lines and aesthetic appeal, lopping one and hanging a can on the end would seem like a hood ornament on a Corvette.

If not hung up on the .300 Mag and can accept another chambering, many of the price point rifles of today are threaded already and shoot very well. Both my Savage Hog rifle and Ruger Predator (18") are threaded, cost around $400 bucks a few years back, and shoot very well indeed. No suppressor on either but aside from the paperwork, both could be equipped with same very easily.
Old December 9, 2022, 02:11 PM   #19
redhawk41

Color me stubborn and old fashioned, but yeah, I'm married to the .300 mag.
Old December 9, 2022, 11:56 PM   #20
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk41
Barrel length and muzzle threading is easy when there’s enough metal to put 5/8x24 threads, which most of these barrel profiles don’t have.
If you can thread 1/2-28 you have enough for a .30 caliber. Or do what I did, thread 5/8-24 and use a muzzle device like the Silencer Co ASR break or flash hider. I think TBAC calls it a CB mount, Dead Air uses a Keymo or Xeno mounts.

The ASR brake is as ugly as homemade sin.

When the suppressor is attached you never notice the break, and I can go from .223 up to 30 cals without having to get the tools out.