The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 28, 2022, 09:59 PM   #1
BradS

Shoulder Holsters

I am looking to try a new method ( new to me) of concealed carry, a shoulder holster. I initially made a decision to purchase a Galco Jackass, with the grip of the pistol angled slightly down from a horizontal position, then viewed a video by Massad Ayoob. I am now torn between a Jackass and a vertical shoulder holster.
Not wishing to discuss the pros and cons, I would be interested in hearing your opinion on which holster would conceal the best.
Old October 29, 2022, 01:02 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Without any idea the gun you are trying to conceal, or how you dress to conceal it, the question cannot be answered.

I can conceal a Desert Eagle under a GI field jacket, but not under a dinner jacket..... I can conceal a PPK under either. Size and style of dress make a difference.
Old October 29, 2022, 04:08 PM   #3
BradS

The handgun is a Shadow Systems (G19). I am roughly 5' 7" and about 165lbs.
Most of the time, dress would consist of a light jacket.
Old October 30, 2022, 09:44 PM   #4
Doc Intrepid

I have around 6 or 7 that I use fairly consistently. They're all made by Galco.

To answer your question, the vertical carry probably tends to conceal better. Because its the butt of the pistol that protrudes forward...you'll tend to feel it more in the horizontal mode when you're driving or riding a motorcycle.

On the other hand, getting to it and drawing the pistol is facilitated by horizontal carry. Same with replacing it after firing. Its easier (for me) to reholster the pistol with a horizontal holster.

If you choose to go this route, you'll find that your wardrobe will tend to evolve around the gun, rather than the reverse. I have an assortment of leather vests and light canvas vests that resist printing. Carhartt-type work jackets work well also.

Lightweight materials may not be what you wind up wearing after several months of trial and error. Particularly error.

Best with it.
Old October 31, 2022, 04:25 AM   #5
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS View Post
I am looking to try a new method ( new to me) of concealed carry, a shoulder holster. I initially made a decision to purchase a Galco Jackass, with the grip of the pistol angled slightly down from a horizontal position, then viewed a video by Massad Ayoob. I am now torn between a Jackass and a vertical shoulder holster.
Not wishing to discuss the pros and cons, I would be interested in hearing your opinion on which holster would conceal the best.
I carried the "Jack Ass leather company" holster, that is now the Galco you mention, on duty for several years. Loved it than and still do now.
Old October 31, 2022, 04:45 AM   #6
Nathan

When carrying all day long, I like to shoulder carry. I use: ARES TACTICAL /

I prefer horizontal. I find it to be nice to be able to pull against the back straps to draw instead of having to tie to a belt. I have used both. Horizontal is better for conceal ability for me. Basically with the butt where I can easily grab it, horizontal is laying hidden by my profile. With vertical, it has to be pulled forward just a bit more.

I also prefer kydex because they click in and click out. No retention straps needed. Set a little firm, there is no way the gun comes out without pulling on it. I also like kydex because we are sticking these in our armpit. Kydex is more impervious to body sweat, IMO.
Old October 31, 2022, 11:18 AM   #7
BradS

Thanks Y'all, I appreciate the information.
Old October 31, 2022, 02:10 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

For me, vertical is better. I have a couple of old Bianchi's and they work just fine and they also work for any gun length that fits in the holster, one of them is for 8", and I do carry guns that big, though not for "social purposes", for hunting, etc.

You might also want to consider that a horizontal carry shoulder holster points the muzzle of the pistol (inside the holster) at every thing behind you. Vertical points the muzzle down at the ground.

Does this matter to you? Your call.