The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 23, 2021, 08:24 PM   #1
Prof Young

Ammo for new guns only . . .

Stopped by Ron and Jo's gunshop in Belleville IL to look for a holster. They have a good bit of ammo, but will only sell "target" ammo to those buying a new gun. SD ammo they sell to anyone. I suppose that policy makes sense. If you have someone buying a new gun, especially a first gun, you want them to be able to shoot it a bit. While this isn't meant to be an advertisement, Ron and Jo's has been there about 30 years. Relatively small shop, but lotta guns, accessories and knowledgeable staff. They even had some Seacamp in stock some time ago. Didn't se any today.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old September 23, 2021, 08:50 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

That policy doesn't make any sense to me.
Jeepaholic
Old September 23, 2021, 11:44 PM   #3
Lima Oscar 7

I am glad there are still gun stores in IL. I used to skirt the state when traveling the midwest for business. It wasn’t worth getting pulled over for speeding and then going to jail for violating one of the firearms laws.
Old September 24, 2021, 01:23 AM   #4
rickyrick

Why not? Why not in this crazy world.
The policy makes no sense to me either; but nothing does any longer.

Practicing with target ammunition is ok, but self defense ammunition will shoot way different. If a semiauto you’d definitely want to ensure this pistol will work with hollow points, at least a box, but i’d do more.
Old September 24, 2021, 04:05 AM   #5
eflyguy

During the most recent shortage, my closest LGS would only sell one box with range time, or with a firearm purchase.

Makes no difference to me as I won't spend a penny there except for monthly range membership, due to their outrageous prices even in "normal times", and policies like that just reinforce my position. They are, however, only 5 minutes away, and have two rifle lanes - no-one else close does, and monthly unlimited range time is quite cheap.