The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 6, 2021, 10:16 AM   #76
Don Fischer

SxS, O/U, semi auto, pump, its all a personal thing. Get what you like and call it good. I have ever only had two semi auto and other than the browning double auto don't think I'm missing a thing. Have had a good number of pump's and for a long time they were who I was. shoot even still have a mod 37 today! seldom ever shoot it. For a lot of years now all I've carried was a SxS. Have a 16, 20 2-28's and a 410. They are my gun of choice! Other than that they offer little advantage over the rest!
Old May 12, 2021, 08:26 AM   #77
bladesmith 1

Anyone can make a stock fit. Brownells has a big selection of adjustable recoil pads that'll do about 90% of what's needed. I don't use them because they wouldn't look right on my 100 year old SxSs. I have 10 old SxSs [ without a through bolt ] and they're all the same dimensions. I either bent the stock to what I wanted, did a little sanding to remove wood, and or added some wood or a different thickness recoil pad. For fit I figured if I'm looking straight down the rib without moving my head the gun fits. It ain't rocket science and you don't need deep pockets.
Old May 14, 2021, 04:27 PM   #78
Creek Henry

Cross eye dominance doesn't matter if you are holding the gun right. Point your pointer finger at the target with your forward hand, like every single one of the Olympic skeet shooters do, and put your thumb in the air. Bingo, your thumb eclipses the front side naturally and the only bead you see is with your right eye. This works for me, and it works great for my son who's left eye dominant.
Old May 14, 2021, 09:34 PM   #79
lefteye

My dad was right-handed but his left eye was dominant so he always shot his shotgun left-handed. I am also right-handed. When I was very young he taught me how to shoot a .22 rifle. After some target practice he suggested that I try to shoot left-handed. It felt strange but in a few minutes I was shooting the .22 more accurately. For about the last 65 years or so I have shot my shotguns left-handed, and left-handed rifles for hunting whitetails, mule deer, black bear, coyotes, and elk. I shoot my handguns right handed but my left eye dominates sighting. I'm 74 now. Thanks DAD!

Last edited by lefteye; May 15, 2021 at 01:51 PM.
Old May 15, 2021, 02:43 PM   #80
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Grew up with a SxS and a 870 pump-----currently have 3 O/Us but if I come across a "proper" SxS for a decent price, I'll snap it up in a heartbeat-----by proper, I mean a slim and trim gun not a 2x4 like say, a Stoeger.

I'm fast with a O/U but absolutely love the feel and handling of a SxS.
-------Metallica
Old May 15, 2021, 05:28 PM   #81
FITASC

Find a nice lightly used Uggie or AyA then; great handling guns, superbly built
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa