The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 25, 2012, 04:54 PM   #1
Coyote WT

First reloads ready for testing!

I did it! I just ran my first batch of .45 ACP. I only did 20 rounds because I want to test fire them and see what I need to do to adjust the formula but I am totally excited. For me it's like Luke Skywalker building his own light saber. It's an achievement badge in what I call my "ritual of the gun".

I discovered one thing odd though. When I bought the brass (once fired) I found that the primer pocket was for small pistol primer. I searched this forum and found a lot of threads about this which I'll have to review for my own education. The local gun store where I bought the brass was just as baffled as I was but they happily replaced them with righteous brass.

I can't wait to go to the range and see how they shoot.
Springfield XD .45
Old May 25, 2012, 05:05 PM   #2
learningcurve

Congrats

Well I too just got to go fire off a few of my first rounds a few weeks back. It was exciting and scary at the same time. Given all the bad word of mouth reloading can get in certain circles. I have been reading up on the small primer thing myself and have learned it doesnt matter, all that changes is the primer and the fact you have to make sure to weed them out and not try to force the large primer where it wont go. If you dont catch it and you try to load it up then it will slow you down some, nothing else really changes from what I have read. Good luck on the test shots.
Old May 25, 2012, 05:20 PM   #3
WWWJD

Wise move on the limited starting quantity (and congrats; I too am just getting started). A buddy of mine at work mailed his dad 500 rounds of .40S&W brass and $400. Sad to say that there's no way for dad to know what by buddy's pistol likes, and it shows in performance. We went to the range a few weeks ago with them and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn (and from the way they felt compared to factory loads I shoot... they were on the hot side). He's got 400 rounds of crap left to go through.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old May 25, 2012, 07:36 PM   #4
Coyote WT

WWWJD: It may take more effort than you want to spend but have you thought about pulling the bullets and reloading them?

Scratch "It may" and add "It'll definitely"
Springfield XD .45
Old May 25, 2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Misssissippi Dave

Those first few rounds are always memory makers.

I like to make 10 rounds with a given amount of powder for a new load then the next 10 I add 0.1 grains and continue doing this until I am about 0.2 grains under the max. listed amount from the books. It gives me a chance to see what works best. I only fire 5 of each at first to see what works best. Then I try the next group of 5 of the best ones to see what I want to continue loading.

Once I think I found the right group I load up a box of 50 for the next range trip to test them again. This method works for me. I have found what I prefer to use this way and now When I start loading them up I can do the quantity I want to do.

Some have said I should be jumping 0.2 grains at a time for testing. I like my way so I won't miss a better load.

Switching calibers, bullets and or powders can bring you some of the same excitment but it will never be quite the same as those first few rounds you loaded.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:25 PM   #6
WWWJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote WT View Post
WWWJD: It may take more effort than you want to spend but have you thought about pulling the bullets and reloading them?
Ain't my gun or my bullets. ;-). I don't think he's too worried about it, but I sure noticed it.
Old May 26, 2012, 09:13 AM   #7
Coyote WT

Mississippi Dave: Good idea. I still have about 80 left to load (I bought small quantity for the shake down cruise) and I'll give your system a try. Thanks for the tip.
Springfield XD .45
Old May 26, 2012, 11:46 PM   #8
Misssissippi Dave

When I test them at the range I use a support to try to take as much of me out of the shooting as possible. I have good and bad days when shooting unsupported. This gives me a better idea how the rounds are working. I still get a full feel of recoil this way. Any rounds that are too light to cycle my pistols properly also go into the "I won't load this again list".

I like to write down how they work as I shoot them too. Keeping notes makes life easier for me when I want to load more rounds up. I keep two books for reloading. One is next to the press and the other is the one I take to the range when testing. If I ever loose or destroy one of them I still have the other to work from. Putting stuff on the computer is nice, but I want it also in hard copy when all else fails.
Old May 27, 2012, 02:32 AM   #9
Coyote WT

50% fail rate

I intended to start a new thread...sorry for the dead space on this thread.
Springfield XD .45

Last edited by Coyote WT; May 27, 2012 at 02:34 AM. Reason: started new thread