The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 25, 2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Uncle Ben

side-to-side play on Mossberg forend?

Just got my new Mossberg 500 and noticed right away that the forend feels a little loose. It will wiggle side to side a decent amount and seems to me like too much play, but I wanted ask other 500 and 590 owners if this is normal, or not.

Thanks!
Old January 25, 2010, 05:40 PM   #2
alaskaman94

this is very very normal... it bothered me at first but all pumps have it... my 500s,870s and even my nova.... you will get used to it...
Old January 25, 2010, 05:57 PM   #3
Uncle Ben

I'm relieved to hear that. I have fired a pump in the past, but it's been a while so I did not recall this (non) issue, and this is my first shotty :-)

I was also a little disappointed that the 28" vent rib barrel (included along w/ a 18 1/2" barrel) is not threaded for chokes. I (wrongly) assumed it would be.
I guess I may have to buy another barrel w/ chokes if I want increased success w/ clays and bird hunting...
Old January 28, 2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Grandpatime

probably got a pre 80's model when chokes were more of a specialty thing
Old January 28, 2010, 09:24 AM   #5
Morgoroth

Not necessarily. I think I read a post around here somewhere that said the combo gun kits did not have removable chokes while the 500 with just the 28inch did.

I could have dreamed it though. I have had some weird dreams lately.
Old January 28, 2010, 09:48 AM   #6
Grandpatime

99% chance its a older barrel though.If you want to be ssure email mossberg collectors society ....mossberg want tell you themselves they will tell you to email the collectors society .Thats what i did to learn about the maverick 91 anyways . mossberg use to make a 30" barrel in the 70's
Old January 28, 2010, 11:00 AM   #7
Uncle Ben

The combo was a new purchse from Big 5 Sporting Goods, so it's not an older barrel. Since this is about the cheapest combo you can buy in a 500, I suppose they included a non-threaded barrel to keep the cost down.

I'm less disappointed after reading on the barrel that it is a modified choke, which will give me a lot of flexibility.

By the way, would you shoot slugs out of the modified choke 28" barrel?
I know I can shoot slugs out of the 18 1/2" barrel, but I think it would be harder to aim if used for hunting purposes, especially since it is only a single bead sight.
Old January 28, 2010, 11:16 AM   #8
Morgoroth

I looked a couple places and asked at a reputable Gun Shop in the area and they all said it was ok as long as you did not shoot a sabot slug.
Some will say that you should not shoot any kind of slugs out of a full choke, others disagree.

I have shot 2 slugs out of my 20g Moss 500 with the 28inch barrel with the same choke and intend to shoot a lot more, once I can find a good deal on them.
Old January 28, 2010, 02:52 PM   #9
MagnumWill

Yeah, they all do that. My 590A1 does it less, since it's got the big fat barrel on it and the forend contacts it when you pull on it laterally. I got used to it especially for how well the gun functions, i can live with a little slop in the pump.