The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 5, 2005, 03:22 AM   #1
Freeman25

M4 carbine

Is this weapon used by the US Military at the moment?
5.56*45 (.223 rem). Safe/semi/fullauto or safe/semi/3 rnd burst firing modes.

Max
Old February 5, 2005, 03:48 AM   #2
Lycanthrope

Yes.

Safe/Semi/FA.
Old February 5, 2005, 09:46 AM   #3
too many choices!?

I believe that "grunts" get 3rnd burst as opposed to full auto

Spec. ops. get whatever they want(for the most part) and have full auto. Some of our reg. soldiers may have full auto M-4's but I doubt it.....all supposition
Old February 5, 2005, 11:47 AM   #4
Lycanthrope

I believe that the M16/A2/A3 is distributed with Safe/Semi/Burst, but all the M4's remain Safe/semi/auto because of the application of close in fighting. To my knowledge general grunts are issued the M16.
Old February 5, 2005, 12:18 PM   #5
too many choices!?

Thanx for clearing that up Lycan.....makes sense to me :)

I went and looked on my video game(which actually has fairly accurate representations of current arms used ) and the M4's are all safe/semi/full......M16's a2/are safe/semi/3rndurst ....the OICW is safe/semi/3rnd bust/full auto and then 6 rounds(mag) of the timer fused 25mm"air burst" grenades....Like Ron Popiel(the imfomercial guy) says "Set it, and for get it" .It also has the varients of the now XM8 which is adopted in the game so is thusly the M8. There is a Designated Marksmen varient, a Heavy barreled MG varient (kinda M8 saw), and an M4 version of the M8 with optic, and a new M203 launcher that looks smaller with built in forward grip and trigger(?). The new guns look cool on the game but I like the old school M16 a2 with m203 and 3rnd burst the best......

PS In certain senarios the ability to look/engage/paint enemys over and around (with only the weapon showing at ground level ) greatly increases suvivability. Oh yeah, the OICW also has the ability to "paint" targets for strikes on the game and that is super fun . A 6 second wait and 5-6 bombs hail down on the spot with pin-point accuracy .

The Game....Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2 2011:Final Assault(Xbox)
This game rocks!

Last edited by too many choices!?; February 5, 2005 at 12:50 PM. Reason: On the game You are Special Operations and I forgot.....they get what they want, duh
Old February 5, 2005, 12:32 PM   #6
Handy

I had thought the M4s were being issued with either trigger pack, depending to whom. "Normal" troops were getting bursts, spec ops got full auto.
Old February 5, 2005, 02:04 PM   #7
shaggy

I may be completely off here, but I think all weapons are now issued with SAFE-SEMI-AUTO FCG's, no burst, though I'm pretty sure there are still weapons with the 3rd burst in use.

Personally, I loathe the idea of that moronic burst mechanism. If you stop before the full 3rd burst is fired, or if you run dry in the middle of a burst, the next pull of the trigger will only fire the number of rounds remaining from the previous burst. IOW, you can get a 1 or 2rd burst, if the previous burst was 2 or 1 rounds repectively. Very simply, it does not reset if a full 3rd burst is not fired - it just picks up where it left off. Besides, anyone who has even a minimal amount of training with an M16 variant should be able to pull a 2rd or 3rd burst in AUTO with little or no trouble.
Old February 5, 2005, 04:02 PM   #8
Freeman25

The M16A2's firingmode is safe/semi/full auto. It has no burst.
I have a few Marine and Soilder friend who uses M16A2, they told me.
I just wasn't sure in the M4/M4A1.
Thanks for the info everyone.

Max
Old February 5, 2005, 07:25 PM   #9
PMDW

A friend of mine is in the Army. The M4 he was issued was Safe - Semi - Burst.
Old February 5, 2005, 08:35 PM   #10
Chindo18Z

Freeman25: Sorry, but your friends are wrong about the A2...

M16A1: Safe, Semi, Full Auto
M16A2: Safe, Semi, 3-Rd Burst
M4 : Safe, Semi, 3-Rd Burst
M4A1 : Safe, Semi, Full Auto
Old February 6, 2005, 01:20 AM   #11
Freeman25

Than which one is used by US Military, the M16A1 or M16A2?
Especially the Marines and Siolders?

Max
Old February 6, 2005, 04:50 AM   #12
futureforcewarrior22

When I was active, I never had much to do with the M16A4 or the M4A1, mainly because of my duties as the gunner on an M1 MBT. I had a P90 that I picked up off a dead insurgent in March of '04. Great weapon and in excellent condition, but a bit of an oddity for a raghead to have. I knew that the Saudis had P90s, so I guessed that he either stole it or was AWOL or something like that. It looked like he had taken pretty good care of it, he was wearing a rucksack containing his cleaning gear and 13 loaded magazines which I helped myself to. I had the chance to use it in action a couple of times - on full auto it just tears into people (ever watched Stargate on the SciFi channel? Except on ragheads and not wierd alien guys with snakes inside of them). During a 5-8 round burst, all I'd see was a mix of sandy dust and "pink mist" come off of his torso, next thing he was just lying in the dirt looking like something had ripped a piece off of him. First time with the '90 I just threw up right there because it looked so damn awful I felt sick, almost made me want to throw it away or turn it in or something, but it saved my ass and I guess I'm kinda glad I held on to it 'till the end. I just felt a bit safer with it, inside and outside of my tank.

Sorry if I turned this into a P90 rant but I guess I just kind of needed to get it off my chest, then again that's what therapists are for (heh heh). But yeah we used the M4A1, there weren't alot in my unit, but yeah we had them.

Semper Fi.
Old February 6, 2005, 09:45 AM   #13
too many choices!?

Chindo 18z you stated what I originally intended to but better, thanx

I knew the A2 and A3 where not full auto but burst fire......Oh well
I also beleive that the M16A4 has a safe/semi/full auto fire control group and the removable carry handle of the A3.....

PS On that game the guys are special operations so they get the M4A1/safe/semi/full auto FCG. Well duh, like regular troops would get to play with a cool toy like the OICW and prototype M8 series first off the line, yeah right....

Last edited by too many choices!?; February 6, 2005 at 10:02 AM. Reason: I shot my m4gery and turned a six pack of sodas to shrapnel off hand 65yds(not too hard but hella fun) :)you should seen'em dance lol
Old February 6, 2005, 10:09 AM   #14
too many choices!?

Freeman25

I think we have a mix of all these a2/a3/a4/m4a1/ being used across the board with the regs receiving mostly a2/a3/m4's........Spec ops again are the proverbial "kids in a candy store". (again supposition) I can almost assure you we are not using the outdated M16A1's(they would either be updated to new configurations or scrap)
Old February 6, 2005, 01:05 PM   #15
Mike40-11

Quote:
M16A1: Safe, Semi, Full Auto
M16A2: Safe, Semi, 3-Rd Burst
M4 : Safe, Semi, 3-Rd Burst
M4A1 : Safe, Semi, Full Auto
Chind018Z is correct on the operation of the weapons.

As far as what is issued you will find M16A2, M4 and M4A1 all being used in Iraq and Afghanistan. There are still a few M16A1s around with National Guard and Reserve units, but I have never seen anyone deploy with them. In fact, when my unit returned, we had to turn in all our M16A2s, presumably to be issued to a deploying unit that didn't have them. Supposedly we will be getting M4s, don't know which variant.

When new weapons come out, it takes approximately forever for them to wind their way through the system so you will see a mix of new and old.

Just out of curiousity Chindo, are, or were, you an 18Z?
Old February 6, 2005, 02:19 PM   #16
Freeman25

Thanks everyone. However I thought it another way.
This question is for those who serve or served.
So our troops are firing bursts in firefights?
On many website I read that M16A2 is full auto(globalsecurity.com).

futureforcewarrior22
I like p90s and Stargate too. Thanks for filling the gaps.

too many choices!?
Your right. PC games are exaggerating sometimes. However I thought that the M4 and M16A2 is full auto.

And again thanks for all of you.

Max
Old February 6, 2005, 04:58 PM   #17
Chindo18Z

Mike40-11: I are... 18Z5V...formerly 18F, 18B, 11B, 11C

A-Stan 2001-2002
Old February 6, 2005, 05:36 PM   #18
Mike40-11

Freeman:

Yes. Troops are using 3 round bursts in firefights since that's the way most of the weapons operate. The M16A2 is NOT fully automatic, the internet to the contrary. Of course they also have belt fed .50 cal, 7.62, and 5.56 as well.

If you don't believe me, see if you can figure out what an 18Z5V is and take Chindo's word for it.

Chindo, I'm 38A5M and did the other one in 04. (Oh, and I still think victor's are a little disturbed.... )
Old February 6, 2005, 05:43 PM   #19
Chindo18Z

Pleased to make your aquaintance Mike40-11. Glad you're back in one piece. I think there are going to be multiple trips downrange for all of us. For me, not until after PCS. Good luck.

P.S. - Only "...a little disturbed"? My wife thinks I've mellowed with age 'cause I'm no longer looking for the sound of the guns as much as the smell of max per diem. Hooah School was long ago...
Old February 7, 2005, 12:48 AM   #20
IZinterrogator

Quote:
I'm no longer looking for the sound of the guns as much as the smell of max per diem.
Ahh, a true SOCOM trooper.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old March 9, 2005, 11:13 PM   #21
miuwcm3

m-4 that i am issued is a safe, fire, burst. it is issued mainly to units that expect close quarters combat, or like myself, airborne. personnaly give me my garand. it may weigh more, but at least i can start returning fire before they even get close enough to fire