The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 15, 2012, 12:06 AM   #1
lilcris

Gun for (seriously) tiniest female hands you've ever seen

For starters, I am a small woman with extremely small hands. Not as in from-a-manly-man-perspective-the-little-woman-has-small-hands hands or for-a-woman-I-like-to-think-I-have-smallish-hands hands, but I actually have teeny tiny hands. They match my frame: less than 5 feet tall, 105-ish pounds, size 4 women's shoe. Tiny tiny.

Problem: I purchased a Springfield XD-9 subcompact at a gun show last weekend (without understanding how to properly fit a gun) and tiny-hands me just now realized that when the gun is lined up properly with my forearm, my finger can just barely rest on THE SIDE of the trigger. Soooo....when properly lined up, my finger can't actually depress the trigger, like.....at all. And the Springfield is a subcompact. Sad story, right?

So I researched this forum looking for posts about guns for small ladies and found plenty of people who recommended the Springfield subcompact (among others) as a lovely, small-hand friendly pistol.Since my hand is significantly smaller than many ladies' out there, I am having a hard time wading through the models that were already suggested in other, similar threads. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for a handgun that would fit my hands (bulk is less important than length of trigger pull), which are significantly smaller than the average "small" hand.

In general, I am looking for a gun (pistol or revolver, I'm not sure) for home defense. I am a first-time gun owner who has really never been around guns and is still coming to terms with the idea of firing one. I need something that is powerful enough to stop a home invader, heavy enough to absorb recoil, small enough to be comfortable, and easy to use. Does this gun even exist?

Please don't make me purchase a teeny tiny pink gun.

Thanks for the help!
Old September 15, 2012, 12:16 AM   #2
Venom1956

Look into some single stack guns,

Kahr, 1911s, etc. just about any single stack gun. the circumference is ALOT shorter around then a double stack gun. Also a double action revolver is a good choice since the grips can be fine tuned to just about ANY size.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old September 15, 2012, 12:17 AM   #3
BarryLee

I suspect the simplest thing to do is spend some time visiting gun shops and trying out guns. If you want a 9mm I would suggest Ruger LC9, S&W Shield, Walther PPS. As for revolvers the S&W J-Frame revolvers in .38 caliber might work there are several model numbers, so check out their web site.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 15, 2012, 12:18 AM   #4
bamaranger

tiny

I'm married to a tiny lady, bamawife is 'bout your size. She is also, despite my encouragement, disinterested in shooting and SD. However, raising bamaboy sparked her protective instincts, and we do shoot some. The nutcase down the road is some encouragement too.....

So for her tiny hands we settled on a J-frame .38, the proverbial Chiefs Special, loaded with, of all things, wadcutters. The soft target load makes the tiny revolver more shootable. If the double action trigger is too difficult, she, and you, can cheat with two fingers. Similarly, early on she shot a K-frame revolver (actually I think it was a Ruger Security -6, as well, with the standard retro type grips, which were a handful, but offered better sights and longer bbl.

I am not a fan of auto's for beginners. The DA revolver is pretty simple, witness its use in LE for multiple generations. One control, the cylinder release. Open the cylinder, fill holes w/ cartridges, close cylinder and pull trigger to shoot till gun won't shoot. Open cylinder. Repeat.
Old September 15, 2012, 12:33 AM   #5
lilcris

Kahr, the 1911 and the Walther PPS came up a lot in other posts, so I'll check them out. All the Walther's I saw felt light in comparison to other pistols, though. Not sure how I feel about that. The J-Frame looks nice as well. I originally didn't want a revolver because the trigger feels heavy or "clunky" to me (plus they just aren't sexy ), but I'm liking their simplicity more and more.

Forgot to mention: I'm a lefty. Does that complicate matters?

Quick responses around here. That's awesome!
Old September 15, 2012, 12:38 AM   #6
wayneinFL

Quote:
I am a first-time gun owner who has really never been around guns and is still coming to terms with the idea of firing one.
I would take a little different tack on this and ask, why not start with a 22? Most of us started out with rimfires. There's nothing you can learn about the fundamentals with a 45 that you can't learn with a 22 at a fraction of the cost. A Walther P22 is about the smallest grip I can think of on a handgun, and they're a heck of a lot of fun to shoot.

I'm not trying to steer anyone away from a service caliber handgun. "Teeny tiny" women can handle them just fine. My sons fired my Beretta 92 when they were 8 years old and had small hands. But they started out small, learned the fundamentals, and worked up to it.

I also have to ask, if you want a firearm for defensive purposes in the home, and concealment is not an issue, why not go with a carbine or shotgun?
Old September 15, 2012, 12:38 AM   #7
TheNocturnus

Look at the Ruger LCP. It is a .380 caliber, small framed and packs enough of a punch to stop a criminal. It is not fun to shoot as it has some pretty fierce recoil. But finding a small gun that is a decent defensive caliber that has no recoil is going to be virtually impossible. My wife has baby hands as well so I understand your issue.

Here is a pic of the LCP

Although for strictly home defense you could look into a youth 20 gauge shotgun.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old September 15, 2012, 12:54 AM   #8
warnerwh

My wife is quite small also. She adopted my Keltec PF9 which is a single stack 9mm pistol. The Ruger LCP, her second favorite, is even smaller. These aren't range guns but they do fit small hands well.
Old September 15, 2012, 12:59 AM   #9
lilcris

"Look at the Ruger LCP. It is a .380 caliber, small framed and packs enough of a punch to stop a criminal. It is not fun to shoot as it has some pretty fierce recoil. But finding a small gun that is a decent defensive caliber that has no recoil is going to be virtually impossible."

This is what I am afraid of. I don't want to deal with a fierce recoil. I'd like to spend 1-2 weekends per month at a firing range, so I don't want a gun that is hard to handle. I'd like something enjoyable, but that will still actually do it's job.

I have considered a .22, but I don't really want to have to buy another gun down the road. I've heard a .22 is terrible for home defense.

I haven't considered a shotgun. Not sure why....
Old September 15, 2012, 01:03 AM   #10
Father Time

Smith and Wesson M&P shield?

It is very thin, because it has single stack mags. Could be worth a look.
Don't get any gun just because it has compact in the name. Most of them simply have a chopped the barrel and grip. That means they are thick and short making them uncomfortable to grip. Unfotunatly firearms companys seem to think that passes for a good CCW.
Old September 15, 2012, 01:07 AM   #11
CWKahrFan

You might find this chart helpful:

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

On the chart you'll notice the blue line on every gun... This is important for you because it shows the relative distance from the back of each grip to the trigger.

I like Kahrs and find them relatively soft-shooting for the genre.

The Ruger LCP is extremely popular and reliable.

Also, once you settle on a gun that feels right, pay attention to the ammo you buy... Mouseguns tend to be kinda snappy so maybe you'll be better off starting with the lightest (least powerful) loadings you can find. You can always "move up" when you're ready, if you want to... after you've shot quite a bit at a range.

Last edited by CWKahrFan; September 15, 2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old September 15, 2012, 01:07 AM   #12
BarryLee

Quote:
Forgot to mention: I'm a lefty. Does that complicate matters?
Well, not too much, but it is something to consider as you make your choice. Some guns have ambidextrous controls, some can be configured for one or the other and some of rightly only. Just think about how you would operate these various controls when you consider your purchase.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 15, 2012, 01:19 AM   #13
surveyor

while you are not really looking for a small concealable weapon, the size of your hands and length of the fingers plays a role to be able to find something that fits.

the J frame revolver shown can be subsitited for a steel model with a longer barrel, that weighs more.

or the next size frame (in a Smith and wesson it would be a K frame)
can be tried as well.

you just need to try diffrent ones before you decide.

and if no one else mentioned it this website is very good and written from a womans perspective.
http://www.corneredcat.com/Contents/

CWkahrfan posted the the mousegun comparison..its important to know the trigger length compared to the length of your fingers..

I have a kahr K9 the steel version and its a pleasant shooter due to the added weight.

same for steel revolvers in 38.. both in J and K frame sizes.

a weapon fired in single action will have a shorter reach to the trigger than one fired in double action, so that may not rule out the full size service pistols.

Last edited by surveyor; September 15, 2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old September 15, 2012, 01:25 AM   #14
wayneinFL

As a new shooter, I'd stay away from the mouseguns. I know they're small, but they're difficult to shoot accurately because of the short sight radius. They're more prone to malfunctions from limp-wristing.

If you're set on having one gun, that being a service caliber handgun, and it's for home and not carry- the revolver is a good idea. Fewer user induced malfunctions.

I'd stay away from aluminum frames. The only reason for an aluminum frame is that it's light- that's only an advantage of you're carrying it. If you want a small grip, a J-frame is about as small as you can get. A model 36 with a 3" barrel would be a good compromise- small grip, decent sight radius, steel frame, and reliable.
Old September 15, 2012, 01:26 AM   #15
JohnKSa
Staff

The Kahr CW9 or P9 should work for you in terms of trigger reach. These aren't guns you will want to shoot hundreds of rounds through in a single range visit, but they're not as punishing as a lightweight supercompact gun like the LCP or Kel-Tec P3AT. I've put a couple hundred rounds through my CW9 in a single range visit and it wasn't bad at all. I could detect a small amount of soreness in the web of my hand the next day, but nothing bad.

In addition, since these guns are chambered in 9mm, ammunition will be less expensive than any other commonly recommended centerfire self-defense ammunition.

You can probably find a CW9 to handle and it should give you a feel for the size of the gun. You may even be able to find one at a rental range where you can actually fire it.

The Kahr TP9 is a bit larger, but the trigger reach probably isn't that different from the P9 or CW9. It's also a bit heavier which should help on the recoil. There's also a T9 which is roughly the same size as the TP9 but with a steel frame. These are not small guns, but, being single-stack designs may offer you a trigger pull you like. The problem is finding one to handle.

The K9 is roughly the same size as the CW9/P9, but with a steel frame which will make the gun heavier and tame the recoil even more. The trigger reach is probably a little longer than the CW9/P9, but I don't have one to measure to compare. Perhaps you can contact Kahr and see if they have trigger reach numbers for their pistols or would be willing to measure a couple of them to compare. The problem is that you may have to order a K9--it's not a gun I see in the local shops much. So you may be have to see how the CW9/P9 work for you and then extrapolate to see if the K9 will also fit based on the information you get from Kahr.

If it fits, it should be a decent home defense gun. The trigger is not bad, capacity is 7+1, and I'm betting that the steel frame makes it pretty comfortable to shoot.
Old September 15, 2012, 01:43 AM   #16
surveyor

on my kahr k9 the trigger to backstrap is 2 1/2" weight loaded 7+1 is 29.5 oz
weight empty is 26 oz
trigger pull is 1/2" (but some were 3/8" I think)

I have room for 4 of my large fingers on the front strap with a standard magazine.

its pleasant to shoot. so its worth a look to try one.
Old September 15, 2012, 02:03 AM   #17
nazshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcris View Post
"
I have considered a .22, but I don't really want to have to buy another gun down the road. I've heard a .22 is terrible for home defense.
Imho a .22 that you shoot well because it's enjoyable to practice with is better than a larger caliber that you never practice with due to the recoil.

You may also find that the lower cost of .22 ammo makes up for the cost of a second gun.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old September 15, 2012, 02:13 AM   #18
lilcris

To clarify, the bulk of the grip is not my biggest problem. My trigger finger is simply too short to reach most triggers and I'm not even close to being able to touch the trigger guard on my Springfield.

That mouseguns chart is amazing and just what I needed. According to the chart, I would need a gun with a blue line that extends at least to the end of the gun, if not farther. The only guns that match my needs appear to be the Kahrs (the K9 looks like a great option, but it's expensive). The others, including the J-Frame, the Walthers, and even the Ruger LCP all appear to have similar lengths between the back of the grip and the trigger, and thus would present the same problem I am currently having.

Mouseguns may not be the best option, but it seems like my only option in a handgun.

...right? The gun shop where we bought our current pistols carries Kahrs and all the other major brands. Hope to get over there tomorrow.
Old September 15, 2012, 03:23 AM   #19
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
the K9 looks like a great option, but it's expensive
Yup. Other than the CW series, the Kahr guns are pretty spendy.

The CW9 is roughly the same size as the K9, but considerably lighter so recoil will be worse--but not punishing. The CW9 is also much less expensive than the K9 and much easier to find locally, in my experience.

I'd avoid true mouseguns for a home-defense gun unless you really can't find anything else that fits. They're a compromise in virtually every aspect of the design and performance; made to achieve very small size and light weight at the expense of other design parameters normally considered to be fairly important.
Old September 15, 2012, 03:39 AM   #20
Snort

I'd recommend checking out a 1911 before you buy anything else, preferably one with thin grips. I'm a guy cursed with hands smaller than nearly every woman I've ever met, and nothing fits better than a 1911. Probably the most comfortable handgun ever made for individuals with small hands. The trigger's nice and short, too, which definitely helps.

They're not as easy to field strip as a Glock or an XD, but they're also not rocket science. You can enter the 1911 market at pretty much any price point as well.
Old September 15, 2012, 05:38 AM   #21
mrt949

Look at springfield EMP a little pricy but but a great gun for small hands .You can get different length triggers for them.
Old September 15, 2012, 05:49 AM   #22
Kreyzhorse

Look at the Ruger LCP, Walther PPS, Ruger SP101 and any S&W snub nose .38. All are guns that should fit even the smallest hands and are well made, accurate and reliable.
Old September 15, 2012, 07:02 AM   #23
thedudeabides

I think the guys here don't realize how small is small, and how we were having this same discussion a few months ago with my wife.

She is 5' and 90 pounds. Her hand is the size of my palm, her WHOLE HAND fits in my palm. There are a few guns she can handle and actuate the trigger pull, and some tiny guns are DAO and have a long weighty trigger pull.

I got her a P250 subcompact...

Now here's the rub on tiny guns. While the recoil on a full frame poly or metal 9mm is NOTHING, especially to a 6'3'' adult male, a 9mm or 380 sub kicks like a mule, and isn't necessarily the "scaled down" gun we'd like it to be. While recoil is to a large extent not related to the physical strength of the shooter, most guns are still man-sized.

I can't shoot the P250 subcompact effectively. I can't get my hands around it to grip it properly, even with the grip extensions, but my wife can get both hands around the gun and control the recoil. She doesn't like it, but can hit center mass over and over again on the silhouettes.

I had to buy 115 gr Walmart Browning ammo to reduce the kick (I shoot 147 subsonic and NATO +P), and she's accurate enough to defend herself in the critical 5-10 yard range. I thought about a plinker, but 22LR isn't that useful in self defense, and I'd rather have her in a reliable centerfire than a rimfire.

So, in short...

Get a gun you can hold with both hands and pull the trigger, and reaching it isn't enough, you have to be able to pull it effortlessly. Make sure that you can chamber a round/clear a round (some guns have very beefy recoil springs), and shoot the gun.

The only way you can really do this if you have a friendly range/store that has used guns/rentals that you can cycle a few dozen rounds through. We tried the LCP, LCR, P250, P238, and P239...

And FWIW, don't get a subcompact 40 or 45, you won't be able to manage the recoil. Honestly, I don't know why anyone, big or small, would want such power in such a small gun.

Last edited by thedudeabides; September 15, 2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old September 15, 2012, 08:10 AM   #24
Gdawgs

I wouldn't discount revolvers or a 22. Statistically speaking, chances are you'll never use it for home defense(of course chances change dramatically depending on where you live). And a 22 is certainly better than nothing. But you will want to use your gun at the range. A mouse gun in 380 won't get shot much because ammo is expensive, they aren't the most fun to shoot due to recoil(although they aren't as bad as many make them out to be), and they are difficult to shoot accurately. But a 22 is always fun. If the store has one, check out a Ruger Bearcat(I might take some heat for this one). They are quite small, almost kid sized. But they are really cool. I've never actually shot one, but handled them numerous times, and it looks like it would be really fun to shoot. The downside is that it is single action only, meaning you have to pull the hammer back for every shot, but they have a very nice trigger pull. Another option may be the new SP101 in 22. The 22 is a great round to learn with and it will got shot more since ammo is so much cheaper than anything else.

http://www.ruger.com/products/newBearcat/models.html
Old September 15, 2012, 08:23 AM   #25
moxie

Be sure to check the Ruger LCR revolver.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973