The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 29, 2011, 12:31 AM   #1
Fireball

Help!!! I need to Identify an OLD Savage .22LR

I have this Savage .22 Long rifle right here that is very old having patents from 1905 all the way to 1917 being the most recent. There is NO serial number which leads me to believe that this is not your average .22 Sporter. It is very similar to the 23AA but there are several differences from what I have read only also. The butt plate has the Savage indian/trademark. It is in okay condition and maybe someone can help me ID it through Description or pics. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Also could it be a different barrel and stock.? Don't know much about it and the guy at the gun store said he has no clue. Thanks for reading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gvtuvgvugi.JPG (106.2 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (144.5 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (156.1 KB, 294 views)
Old June 29, 2011, 06:09 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

A .22 not having a serial number isn't uncommon. Lots of firearms prior to 1968 didn't have serial numbers.

It certainly looks like an earlier 23AA to me.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 12, 2011, 12:56 AM   #3
gyvel

It sure looks like the 23AA shown in the Numrich Arms book.
Old July 12, 2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Pahoo

May not be a 23AA but a earlier version.

The 23AA was the fancy version of the basic 23A. I have owned and shot the 23AA and they were great little rifles. Then again, it could be the 1922 but it's really hard to tell, by the pictures. I'm thinking that there has to be a model number stamped, somewhere. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 13, 2011, 11:32 AM   #5
johnbt

Look at the back of the receiver, on the tiny flat surface that goes around the hole the bolt goes in. Not the outside, the back end of the receiver. Anything there? Got a magnifying glass?

I can't remember if my father's Savage is a 23A or 23AA, but it's marked. My uncle has it or I'd go look.
Old July 23, 2011, 05:48 PM   #6
steve99f

old savage 22 BA

Check and see if it has two firing pins in the bolt face. If it does it's a Model 1922. Made for one year, not model marked.
Old March 4, 2012, 10:05 AM   #7
GunsMike

More info on old Savage rifle

Was looking for info on my old Savage rifle when I saw your thread. My rifle looks exactly like yours, less the rear sight and a magazine. Good replies led me to discover a four digit number exactly where "johnbt" said it was on the back of the receiver. However I don't believe this is the model number as it doesn't match any I have seen. Instead I believe it to be the actual serial number of the gun. If you take off the rear butt plate with the " Savage Indian" trade mark logo, you will see the same number stamped into the wood and also on the inside of metal plate. Mine also has the two firing pins as "steve99f" states would make it a Model 1922.
Old March 4, 2012, 05:24 PM   #8
Hawg

Probably assembly numbers to keep the parts from getting mixed up during finishing.
Old March 4, 2012, 07:25 PM   #9
johnbt

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...pics/3624405/4

Check out the Savage 23AA ads in this thread and the pics of the other models at the bottom.

John

Tags
.22 , 1905 , long , rifle , savage