The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 5, 2011, 11:04 AM   #1
DTrain

Browning T-Bolt Rimfire Rifles

Don't know much about them. What do you think of them? Just browsing and saw they had a Stainless Steel Sporter w/ walnut stock I love that combo and have been thinking about getting a nice bolt action .22 for some time now.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...orter-firearms
Old August 5, 2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Scorch

Very nice little rifles, very accurate, very well balanced, with nice wood and good fit and finish. Not a lot of aftermarket parts available for them, but that is generally not a concern for someone who is willing to spend the $ to get one. I say go for it!

If you really want a nice 22 rifle, and you decide not to go for the T-Bolt, take a look at Cooper rimfire rifles. They are very nice and priced not too bad for a semi-custom rifle.
Old August 5, 2011, 11:27 AM   #3
VTRich

I have a blue sporter in .22 Mag and enjoy it. More than accurate enough for my needs. I am still playing with different brands of ammo to find the right match. My only complaint would be the trigger. It does break clean, but is very heavy.

I do like it enough that when I ran into one of those stainless and walnut versions in .22 LR, I had to bring it home with me. I just got some scope bases for it this week and hope to shoot it soon. They are definitely nie looking rifles.
Old August 5, 2011, 02:54 PM   #4
Niner4Tango

I recently got a blue/walnut sporter in 22LR and really like it. The balance and ergonomics make it a joy to shoot. Great build quality, sharp checkering, light weight and well balanced. The trigger is supposedly adjustable from 3.25# to 6.25#. I have mine set as light as it will go and I guess I believe the 3.25#. It is very crisp, so while it is a little heavy for such a light slender rifle, it is an appropriate good quality trigger for a sporter. It's not supposed to be a benchrest rifle!

With a Leupold 2-7x28 Rimfire scope

I shoot it as accurately as my heavy barrel Savage MKII. I am getting around 0.6 to 0.7" 5 round groups with Federal 810 at 50 yards

Best ammo so far is Wolf Match Extra. About a 0.32" 5 round group at 50

And, it has nice wood

I'd highly recommend the T Bolt
Old August 5, 2011, 04:00 PM   #5
DTrain

Beautiful rifle there Niner
Old August 11, 2011, 08:17 AM   #6
DTrain

Anyone else?
Old August 16, 2011, 11:56 AM   #7
hootey

Very nice

Congradulations, very nice rifle. Handles well, shoots well, looks like a million bucks, what more could ya want? Very nice!
Old August 16, 2011, 02:41 PM   #8
mete

Who makes that rifle for Browning ??
Old August 16, 2011, 03:14 PM   #9
Niner4Tango

Miroku

http://www.browning.com/customerserv...tail.asp?id=90
Old August 16, 2011, 08:28 PM   #10
Crunchy Frog

I was shopping for a quality .22 bolt rifle a couple of years ago. You might want to check out www.rimfirecentral.com; lots of information about the different brands.

I looked at the Browning. Good feel, nice wood and the straight pull action and the helix magazine were neat features. The only store in my area that had one in stock was charging close to MSRP which I thought was a little steep (it's a Browning after all) but I decided I wanted iron sights so the T-Bolt went into the "maybe later" category.

The CZ rifles have a big following on rimfirecentral so I checked them out. CZ has several variations both with iron sights and without. The first CZ I found was a 452 American (at Wal-Mart of all places). Nice lines but that model is scope only. A visit to the CZ website revealed the 452 FS (full stock). Iron sights and a Mannlicher-style wood-to-muzzle stock that I've always liked. A local dealer had them on sale for $425.

Stock trigger is adjustable for weights and pretty good. I found an aftermarket shim-and-spring kit for less than $20 which removed the creep from the trigger. I don't have a trigger gauge but it's light without being a hair trigger.

CZ is phasing out the 452 rifles and replacing them with the 455 which features an interchangeable barrel. My local Academy store had a 455 American with two barrels in .22 LR and .17 HMR. Price was north of $550 for the combo gun.

You might want to check out the CZs. I am very pleased with mine.
Old August 16, 2011, 09:06 PM   #11
Norrick

Its a good rifle. Shoots ragged holes at 50 yards with good ammo.

My complaints are:

1) firing pin cocks on bolt close
2) Plastic trigger guard/assembly
3) rotary mag is over-engineered (it works fine but Ruger's is superior).
4) there is nothing to hold the bolt in the closed position (safety only disables firing), if you were walking around with it on a sling, something could brush up against the bolt handle and the tension from the cocked firing pin will make it very easy for it to open up while its on your back.
5) magazines are like 40 bucks a piece

Even with those issues, I think its still a great gun. The action is fast and fun to operate. If you get a synthetic stocked version you get the extra mag well in the butt-plate for a spare magazine.