The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 7, 2010, 03:16 PM   #26
ATW525

Quote:
Honestly, if you regularly carry your .45 Colt concealed, then you belong with it in IDPA. If not, then please leave it at home and bring your carry weapon. If you don't carry a weapon, then please shoot at IPSC or USPSA competitions. There's a reason there isn't a "C" in the accronym.
And what are people supposed to bring when their carry weapon is an LCP or something similar? IDPA can claim to be about shooting what you carry, but the fact is it's not carry weapon friendly. It's got two divisions written around fullsize 1911s and a division written for large frame moon clip fed revolvers while purpose built CCW weapons are lumped into an unofficial pseudo-division that isn't even recognized at sanctioned matches.
Old December 7, 2010, 07:32 PM   #27
Jim Watson

Just curious LordTio3, what sport do you compete in and what gun do you shoot?
Old December 7, 2010, 10:18 PM   #28
jmorris

If weight were not a concern 45 auto rim would eject better and with 230's you could bet by with 550 fps...like we did with 45ACP before (and why) they created ESR.
Old December 8, 2010, 03:18 PM   #29
BODAME

45 long colt

"Are you truly going to conceal-carry your 45 Colt? That's an honest question. I don't know anyone who would dream of it."

I have been Carrying a 45LC Revolver Concealed for years in either a Belt or Shoulder Rig.
One of my Favorite Jacket Carry Guns is a 45LC Single Action Sheriff's Model carried in a Custom Holliday Shoulder Rig.

In Addition:Short Barrel 45LC Revolvers are Great IDPA Bug Match Guns.
Old December 9, 2010, 11:48 AM   #30
LordTio3

Quote:
Just curious LordTio3, what sport do you compete in and what gun do you shoot?
I've compete with IDPA in both Indiana and Ohio with sporadic regularity. And I bring my carry weapon, an almost-stock 4" Glock 19 9mm with night sights. When there are side matches for back-up guns, I'll shoot with a 5-shot SW 637 Chief's Special in .38spl.

~LT
Old December 9, 2010, 11:58 AM   #31
LordTio3

Quote:
I have been Carrying a 45LC Revolver Concealed for years in either a Belt or Shoulder Rig.
One of my Favorite Jacket Carry Guns is a 45LC Single Action Sheriff's Model carried in a Custom Holliday Shoulder Rig.

In Addition:Short Barrel 45LC Revolvers are Great IDPA Bug Match Guns.
Then by all means carry it to IDPA and do your thing. I have no problems with that. And my statement that I don't know anyone who would dream of carrying a .45 colt concealed, it was meant as just that; none of the people that I associate with would even consider it. They are more than happy with their own, albeit more modern, models.

No offense was meant to those who do happen to choose it for their own purposes. It's certainly proven itself as an effective chambering.

~LT