The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 30, 2008, 08:53 AM   #1
mo_hunter

kahr magazines not drop free???

I just bought a kahr pm9 and the mags. don't drop free. I also have a cw9 and they drop free my dad has a pm9 and they drop free. Anyway, I just called kahr tech. support to speak with them about the mags. not dropping free and was told by tech. support they weren't supposed to drop free because sometimes the followers would break when hitting the ground. As far as I know they should drop free I'm not very happy about the mags. not dropping free! So what's the deal should they drop free ????????????
Old May 30, 2008, 08:55 AM   #2
bikerbill

that's like taking your car back to the shop with a problem and them telling you, "oh they all do that." My PM9 mags all drop free every time ... I'd get a second opinion; don't want to be clawing at your empty mag if the balloon goes up ...
Old May 30, 2008, 09:53 AM   #3
mo_hunter

bikerbill yup, I don't imagine it would be very easy to pull a mag out when your peeing down your leg.

1 other thing, does anybody know who makes the mag. springs for kahr? I was just thinking I could get some wolff mag. springs and that little but extra might be enough to drop the mag out. But if woff makes them for kahr that won't help.
Old May 31, 2008, 06:42 AM   #4
mo_hunter

I called kahr a second time yesterday and was told by another person they have someone new making the frames and there not supposed to drop free anymore. Was told again they were having trouble with the followers breaking and they don't want the magazines to drop free. Well after looking at my dad's pm9 (his is around 4 years old but only has around 400 rounds thru it) I noticed the rails inside his mag well didn't stick out near as much as mine and none of his magazines had marks from the rails rubbing. I used a file and lightly filed the rails inside the mag well where it was leaving marks on my mags. just alittle at a time untill they dropped free. I also polished the mag. release where it contacts the magazine but I don't think that made any difference. Also my dad has around 6 extra magazines, the followers that have the silver metal piece on the follower (I think the older follower) had no trouble dropping free before I did anything in my kahr pm9. The newer designed follower has a brass color metal piece and to me they don't look like they stick out as far, they didn't drop free from my kahr but would drop free from his pm9 and my cw9 of course they're the ones that came with my new pm9 and my cw9 I bought last year.

Anyway you would think if they're having trouble with the followers breaking they would fix them not make it so the mags. don't drop free :barf:. I hope they were feeding me a line and my frame wasn't quite right. and that they really haven't changed there frames to make them not drop free. I won't carry a gun that the mags. don't drop free period.
Old May 31, 2008, 10:16 AM   #5
David the Gnome

The problem with the followers is the plastic they mold them out of. I had two followers break in my Kahr magazines and I never drop any of my mags. Given how brittle their followers are though, I would imagine they wouldn't want you to drop the mags.

The front of follower broke on mine about once every 150-200 rounds. They know about the issue but they aren't blaming the faulty plastic. When I e-mailed Kahr they sent me three new followers in the mail without asking any questions (or even responding to my e-mail for that matter). The older Kahr mags don't have this problem because the followers were made out of a different kind of plastic. Supposedly they were fixing this issue as of last year.