The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 2, 2007, 07:29 AM   #1
rgitzlaff

.223 primer

What primers are recommended for an accurate .223 load in an AR-15? I am using 25 gr of Varget now and win small rifle primers. I am considering going to CCI 450's because I have heard the magnum primers help out with accuracy. Any ideas or opinions? Thanks.

Ryan
Old May 2, 2007, 09:12 AM   #2
BloodyBucket03

I use almost the same setup as you. I loaded 25grs of IMR 4895 powder with CCI small rifle primers and a winchester 55gr Boat tail round. I am satisfied with my results I can get bullet on top of bullet at a 100yds and the groups very to about .50 inches. I have an Oly Ar15 with an Aimpoint ML3 red dot sight. I am not sure how much better you can be using magnum primers but I know they are pricey. I just shoot for target. The groups I had using Federal XM193 varied from 1 inch or even more.
"He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and "if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buyone.'' Luke 22:36
Old May 2, 2007, 11:34 AM   #3
snuffy

You can use just about any small rifle primer for an AR. I've never used a magnum small rifle primer in any of my .223 rounds, no need for it IMHO.

One exception is the rem 6 1/2 primer, stay away from it for .223. Their use cost me a new bolt for my bushy. They are made for the .22 hornet and other rimmed 22 centerfires. Their use WILL result in pierced primers and damage to the bolt face!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 2, 2007, 04:39 PM   #4
Scorch

Most reloading manuals discourage the use of magnum primers in non-magnum loads. With Winchester primers, you don't need to go to magnum primers, they work fine as is. Besides, magnum primers will usually decrease your accuracy.
Old May 2, 2007, 04:56 PM   #5
629 shooter

Quote:
I am using 25 gr of Varget now and win small rifle primers. I am considering going to CCI 450's because I have heard the magnum primers help out with accuracy. Any ideas or opinions? Thanks.
I have used 25.0 of Varget with a Sierra 69 MatchKing with great accuracy results in my Savage .223 using CCI BR-4 benchrest primers.
Old May 2, 2007, 05:14 PM   #6
layusn1

Hmm, Im gonna have to beg to differ on the reloading manuals not saying to use small rifle magnum loads. I bought the complete reloading guide for 223, which is just a compilation of that caliber from several reloading guides and for my Speer 52gr HPBT Match bullets it lists 4 powders as using CCI Small Rifle Magnum Primers. Those powders are W748, H335, BL-C(2), and AA2460. I have W748 and BL-C(2) which are ball and spherical and I assume the other two are as well. I use the W748/CCI Small Rifle Magnum Primer combo for dime sized 5 shot groups out of my RRA AR15 16" barrel. 27.4 grains at 2.200 OAL and FC cases, just in case anyone wants to know. Is it necessary? I dunno, I'm not a ballistics expert but when the bullet manufacturer recommends it and I see dime sized 5 shot groups...I'm a believer.
Old May 3, 2007, 06:20 AM   #7
40SIG

I use WSR for AR loads without any problem. You sure wouldn't use a magnum primer with Varget. I have seen loads with H335 and W748 call for one but thats the only time I would use one.
Old May 3, 2007, 12:18 PM   #8
cheygriz

The Remington 7 1/2 primer is MilSpec, and is used by Remington in all of their military contract 5.56X45 ammunition.
Old May 4, 2007, 08:26 AM   #9
MrGee

federal #205 match BR , AA2230/26.0 gr , win.case , 55gr fmj-bt
------
. "What primers are recommended for an accurate .223 load in an AR-15? I am using 25 gr of Varget now and win small rifle primers. I am considering going to CCI 450's because I have heard the magnum primers help out with accuracy. Any ideas or opinions? Thanks." Ryan

Last edited by MrGee; May 4, 2007 at 08:26 AM. Reason: mis-spell
Old May 5, 2007, 03:25 PM   #10
amamnn

I'm using federal god medal small rifle non magnum primers in my AR loads and do quite well with them. the top five shooter in my class use them as well.

There's been a lot of misinformation printed about using magnum primers with ball or shperical powders over the years. The people I have talked with at Winchester (long ago) and Hodgon (recently) do not recommend using mag primers except in mag loads.

I tried it anyway and did not see any improvement, and in fact a slight degradation of performance and slightly worse than usual aggs. There is only so much powder any primer can light up initially, and a higher than usual spike of start pressure can affect the burning and resulting accuracy of the load.

I have not tried them using lighter loads than usual. I like to run at 95% load density in the AR and a big pressure spike is kind of scary that close to max.
Old May 5, 2007, 03:43 PM   #11
mc223

Most of my most accurate loads using varget have come with Fed 205s or Rem 7-1/2s. I say most because there are a couple loads that really like CCI- BR-4s.