The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 24, 1999, 02:15 PM   #1
Skorzeny

What are some opinions and thoughts on the effectiveness and ease maintenance of leather as opposed to Kydex or Fobus (?) holsters?

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Old October 4, 1999, 08:52 PM   #2
Sackett

Kydex is very easy to keep clean. Just wipe with a clean, soft cloth. If the holster has a closed end, just wash thorougly with soap and water and then dry. You can also periodically use a product such as Armor All to really clean the Kydex. Kydex does not absorb moisture of any type and dirt cannot become ingrained and scratch the finish of the weapon.
Old October 7, 1999, 11:06 PM   #3
DWM

I cannot rave enough about kydex holsters. They are VERY thin, yet VERY strong. Cleaning just consists of holding them under the sink for a second to wash off any lint. Blade-Tech holsters conceal the full length of the slide and repel any sweat and oils from your skin. Blade-Tech kydex/concealex holsters also have 2 adjustable tension screws and are fast to draw from. They also will not hurt the finish of your gun. I find my Blade-Tech IWB to be quite comfortable.

This guy likes 'em, DWM
Old October 8, 1999, 05:32 AM   #4
ATM

Kydex is very easy to clean, if it needs it; generally will not hurt a guns finish to much(you will still polish the muzzle); is very quick to draw from; is secure without a thumbsnap; and is no more expensive.

Leather is much more comfortable to wear (especially IWB); looks better; protects the gun better; smells better; takes a high gloss finish; does not make a sharp clank if you bump something; and you have more variety to pick from in style and colors. Cleaning and maintenance is still easy, but generally not wipe on/wipe off (Remember Ralph Macchio?) like KYDEX is. Fortunately most of us have leather cleaning gear at home for other reasons.

All in all I still prefer leather for concealed carry. I also use it more, since many of my guns do not have KYDEX made for them, except on a custom basis. However I will wear KYDEX when working in the range, since people are always asking about it, and it is quicker to draw from.

------------------
Freedom is not Free
Old October 8, 1999, 09:31 AM   #5
Skorzeny

Well, for now, I am looking for holsters that I can wear at the range. They may also serve as the TEOTWAWKI holsters if necessary.

For those purposes, would Kydex be better than leather?

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Old October 8, 1999, 12:17 PM   #6
Rosco P. Coltrain

I am sort of partial to leather myself, but that is because no one makes a kydex shoulder holster.
Old October 11, 1999, 11:24 AM   #7
Matt VDW

For casual use, I think the Fobus paddle holsters are a great buy. They're light, comfortable, reasonably secure, quick, and cheap (about $20). They don't hold the pistol close enough to conceal well but they do go and off in a jiffy.