The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 17, 2002, 05:45 PM   #1
GlockPower

870 Chokes?

What is a good price for the "express upgrade kit" that includes a Full choke, a improved cylinder choke, the choke wrench, and a bottle of rem oil.

And what about just a imp cyl choke (12 gauge)

The prices I'm looking for are for actual remington chokes, not aftermarket...

Which is good for what purpose? I see a lot of "tactical" shotguns with the imp cyl chokes, what about the full? And what about slugs and chokes?
Old October 17, 2002, 07:07 PM   #2
HSMITH

Don't waste your money on the "genuine Remington" chokes. They are the WORST I have ever seen. If you really want some I will make you one heck of a deal on a full set of them.

For starters they are not round, most I have measured will run .004-.006" out of round. They also are rarely the constriction marked. I have 3 modifieds that are .020" different from large to small, and NONE of them are actually modified in constriction. I have in the neighborhood of 15 Remington made chokes I have aquired over the years. I can make one set out of what I have but not two sets having them round and the appropriate constriction.

Remington chokes will run you $18-22 each, the aftermarkets $20-50. You can buy a whole lot better choke for $25 if you go aftermarket.

The best choke for the money on the market is Hastings. The best choke on the market is Briley. The Hastings might just be as good as the Briley. Get extended chokes too, when you need a wrench to change one you won't have it. You can tighten them by hand plenty tight, there is no worry about them coming loose.

For slugs of the Forster type an improved cylinder is a good choice, and it works well with buckshot out to about 30 yards on a man sized target, that is why you see most tactical guns with the IC choking. If you do much hunting you will want a full choke, same for target shooting at extended ranges. IC and Modified will cover most anything inside of 35 yards.

It really is a shame that the choke tubes by Remington are so bad, their fixed choke barrels of years past are absolutely fantastic.
Old October 17, 2002, 08:09 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Check the Archives, there's some good threads on this.

I'd want to try at least two different chokes with any load. For a 3 choke setup, I might go Cylinder or Skeet, Light Modified, and Improved Modified.YMMV.Call it .005/.015/.025" constriction

Some Remchokes have been on sale at the chain stores for as little as $8.

Remember the markings on the choke are no guarantee of a certain pattern density. Only actual testing will tell what the pattern will be.
Old October 19, 2002, 01:39 PM   #4
Tom C.

If you currently have a fixed choke barrel, you can have it cut for removable choke tubes. The threading will probably be Tru choke, which is .794"x44. Flush mount tubes as well as extended tubes are available from Brownell's.