The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 22, 2002, 07:40 AM   #1
kindlyoldcoach

.22 Colt Revolver Problem- Seeking Professional Help

I have a sick .22LR Colt Diamondback revolver. This is what happened:

Some years ago, I took this revolver to a local gunsmith, and asked him to lighten the trigger pull. When I picked it up, I asked what he'd done to it, and he replied, "Oh, I just had to bend a spring."

When I test-fired it a few days later, I got about 30% misfires. This had never happened before, and the ammo worked 100% of the time in my other guns.

For a variety of reasons, none of them good, I did not return the revolver to the 'smith before he went on to pursue other interests and fell off the face of the earth. The revolver has lain in my vault ever since.

I am now in a position where I have the time, inclination, and funds available to catch up on little things like this, and I'd like to have this revolver repaired. I will not mess with the fire control system myself. I don't have any pistolsmiths within driving distance, and I'd like to get this right once and for all. So, before I mail my Colt away arbitrarily, here are some questions:
  • Is this likely just a spring problem?
  • Should this job be within the scope of any decent general gunsmith, or is tuning Colt D-frames rocket science?
  • What other related problems should I look for before having the gun serviced?
All comments will be appreciated.

'coach
Old April 22, 2002, 07:45 AM   #2
RomaRana

Send it out to a gunsmith if you dont want to do the work. I imagine you could just get a new trigger group or a spring from numrich if you want to do it yourself.
Old April 22, 2002, 08:28 AM   #3
Jim Watson

The usual quickie "trigger adjustment" on all the old Colt V-spring guns, D & I frames, was to insert a pin through the mainspring and cock the hammer. The leverage of the hammer against the spring braced by the pin would bend the mainspring into what Skeeter Skelton called a "rafter" and reduce its load on the hammer. This was even part of the Colt Custom Shop "Tedford" action job. My CCC Python demands the more sensitive Federal primers.

Not a good idea on a .22 because the rimfire is actually a harder primer than a centerfire.

The cure is to replace the mainspring. If you can disassemble and reassemble the gun that is all it will take. Spring from Numrich at
http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.as...uctSKU=175160E

Of course it will go back to its original trigger pull, but at least it will go off. True trigger jobs on V-spring Colts is kind of an art. I don't know anybody to recommend, now. I have that Python and know a lady with a very nice factory custom Detective Special, but Tedford is probably long since retired and I don't know if he trained anybody there to do the work. My local guy who could do that work and the guy Ayoob plugged in Denver are deceased.
Old April 22, 2002, 08:51 AM   #4
kindlyoldcoach

Thank you very much, Mr. Watson.

'coach
Old April 22, 2002, 05:29 PM   #5
9mmepiphany

tuning colt actions with the leaf springs are rather an art form. however just replacing the spring is rather easy. other than the screwdrivers needed to remove the sideplate, all you need is a pair of needle nosed pliers.
Old April 22, 2002, 05:38 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Once you have the mainspring out, you probably can just bend it back, but it hardly seems worth it for the $10 or so one costs.

Jim
Old April 22, 2002, 05:52 PM   #7
kindlyoldcoach

Quote: "Once you have the mainspring out, you probably can just bend it back"

If I do THAT, with my great technical skill and six-pound mallet, I'll end up with the world's first fully automatic .22LR revolver.

No, I think I'll just send a cheque to Numrich and keep my liability insurance affordable. Just glad to hear it's likely only one spring. Thank you all for your comments.

'coach
Old April 22, 2002, 06:08 PM   #8
C.R.Sam

I'll join the crowd here and go for just replacing the spring. Probably be just fine after that.

Sam