The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 2, 2013, 08:15 AM   #26
Vireye

I've traded plenty, never purely sold.

My only regret was trading my S&W 686+. I desperately want another revolved in .357 magnum, though this time one with a 6" barrel.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:47 AM   #27
Robk

When I was younger, many were sold for financial reasons, and yes there are a couple of regrets. Lately, I have traded up to better firearms. A Taurus PT92AF became a Berreta 90-TWO after two trades. A eastern block PPK copy became a P232 with minimal cash added. I believe now, as finances are much better, that I have nothing left to trade, as all are now a better grade of guns. Makers such as SIG, S&W, FN, Springfiled, etc. now reside in the safe. But that does not mean that I will never sell or trade again. But now money will go back into the collection, not back to household expenses. So, in a sense, they never leave, just change.
Old January 2, 2013, 09:27 AM   #28
Winchester_73

I actually have always disliked Cheapshooters signature line. Its shortsighted and makes assumptions. I can almost bet he would have made at least some of the trades I made, and sold for the some of the $$$ that I got.

My collection is what it is because I did not keep everything. When that good gun comes along, and you dont have the money, because you decided to keep a rusted reblued model 12 shotgun, or a cut down 357 S&W, or whatever, you will see the error in your ways. I don't regret really any of my sales or trades, but I also did it right. If his signature said "be careful when selling or trading your firearms" I would be ok with it, because I am careful and coincidentally, happy with what I've done. I look at my collection as a shrub, and so occasionally I trim it up, but that makes it look better, puts money in my pocket, and allows for new branches to grow. As long as you buy low and sell high, you can never go wrong.

When people say they regret a trade or a sale, its usually because they didn't know what they had, they made a hasty decision, they needed the money for some reason, or some othe similar reason. If you sell and trade right, its often better than keeping the gun.
Old January 2, 2013, 11:27 AM   #29
Dragline45

I buy, trade and sell all the time. If a gun doesn't particularly do it for me ill sell/trade it for something else I want. I am also in the mindset that I don't need two guns for the same purpose. For example, I have a Ruger SR9C. I'd like to pick up an M&P9C in the future but it makes no sense to keep the Ruger and the M&P so the Ruger is going to be sold. Heck I'm in the process of selling my Sig 232 I picked up just a month ago. Great gun, but the fat grip on the gun takes away from the slimness of the slide and the frame, I realized I carry a compact 9mm easier than the 232 in .380. Live and learn.

Quote:
As long as you buy low and sell high, you can never go wrong.
More often than not ill take a slight loss when selling or trading usually to sell it more quickly. That extra $25-50 I dropped off the price I can live without, and usually it's the difference of finding a buyer for my gun in a week or so compared to a month or more.

Last edited by Dragline45; January 2, 2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old January 2, 2013, 12:15 PM   #30
dopar66

Yep.

This past Monday I traded a Taurus 627 for a three screw Blackhawk 357. The owner of the BH had darn near missed a golden opportunity on a follow up shot on a wounded hog, and wanted something double action. I had toyed with the idea of a BH to not rattle the Taurus to death with my hand loads. Worked into a great deal, thanks in a large part to Single Six.
Old January 2, 2013, 12:25 PM   #31
Yung.gunr

I have traded a Beretta 9000S in to a LGS to get a TCP. Dumb trade on it's face, -Beretta +Taurus. But, I hated that gun, I've said it over and over here... Probably some guys sick of hearing me say it.

Suffice it to say, I've only broken his rule once...

I spend too dang long deciding what to get and saving up the money for it to not be exactly what I wanted. I'm NOT a spur of the moment gun buyer.
Old January 2, 2013, 12:40 PM   #32
orionengnr

Dozens of times over the last 25-ish years.

I have only regretted two or three, and even if I had those few back, I would probably end up not shooting them...in which case they would be sold or traded away.
Old January 2, 2013, 12:58 PM   #33
TennJed

It is apparent after reading this thread signature does not apply all. I have been thinking about it and there is not one trade (or sale to buy another) that I would go back and undo. No of the guns I have gotten rid of I would even consider buying again. I have taken a very minimal loss on all of them to boot (maybe no loss whatsoever, because of several trade ups)

I like cheapshooter a lot. I love his post and think he is a great contributor her. I hate his signature. It is bad advice IMHO
Old January 2, 2013, 01:55 PM   #34
Tactical Jackalope

lol oh man...I have broken Cheapshooters cardinal rule a dozen times. I've sold or traded an: XD45, RIA 1911, Glock 34 & 27, Walther PPQ, CZ82, FNX9, Mossberg 590, Smith and Wesson 642...I know they're a few more. They aren't coming to mind right now. But mainly they were trades for something else I wanted or preferred.

See signature.

Edit. Oh and a Kahr CW9 and Taurus PT-145.

Last edited by Tactical Jackalope; January 3, 2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old January 3, 2013, 01:14 AM   #35
Smit

If you are getting something you want and both parties are happy, I don't see anything wrong with selling or trading. I understand the point made but seems unreasonable if you have something you will never use.
Old January 3, 2013, 03:38 AM   #36
bigghoss

I regretted selling the first rifle I let go and for a while I was totally against selling any guns but after a while I realized I had a gun or two that I never shot and/or just plain didn't like. I started selling my crap guns to buy better versions now I just sell anything I want to sell. I don't do it on a whim though, if I sell a gun it's gun I don't shoot and don't have much use for and don't have any attachment to. It's also a gun I can replace easily if I later regret selling it.
Old January 3, 2013, 02:58 PM   #37
P5 Guy

They Come & Go

Sell, trade the guns I'm tired of to buy the latest and greatest and when those prove to be boring out they go for the next phase.
Old January 3, 2013, 04:15 PM   #38
kayakersteve

I traded my early colt delta elite because I needed cash for a berreta 92 when I was going into police academy. Went home sick to my stomach. Next day, I went back to gunshop to buy back, but he had already sold it.

Lesson learned.....will never do again!
Old January 3, 2013, 04:33 PM   #39
Cheapshooter

I haven't!!! LOL
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 3, 2013, 04:38 PM   #40
Hal

If I don't like a gun, then it's gone.
Life's too short and money's too tight to waste on something useless.

I consider a gun that I don't like and that I won't ever shoot to be something useless.

Next to useless is a gun I like, but for one reason or another don't shoot.
I'll be culling those out some time in the near future.
Old January 3, 2013, 04:41 PM   #41
Tom68

I have. I was young and didn't know any better. I think i've sold or traded off five or six, not exactly sure... but most all of them I really wish I had back, although I can't explain why, other than I don't have them anymore.

I had a running buddy growing up that could sell ice to a penguin. He'd start out with $50 in an RG .38 Special, and three trades later he'd have a 686. I thought, "Man, I could do that too!" After a few tries, losing my shirt in the process, I decided I'm not much of a trader. I'd see something I like and think I had to have it, no matter what. I had to give up that practice.

Since then I've pretty much decided to figure out what I want, then buy it and plan on keeping it forever. That being said, I do have a few guns on hand that I like a lot less than some of the others... and I wouldn't be surprised if I were to let them go at some point, but I just haven't yet because of "the rule"...
Old January 3, 2013, 05:01 PM   #42
thedudeabides

I have never missed any of the guns I've sold or traded.
Old January 3, 2013, 05:45 PM   #43
Cheapshooter

I wont paraphrase Will Rogers, and say I've never seen a gun I didn't like. After all there's that overly complicated upside down 357 Magnum gosh awful ugly thing! But I will say I've never bought a gun I didn't like. A few of which I thought I could do without at a much younger age. But every one of them I have regretted getting rid of at a later date.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 3, 2013, 05:54 PM   #44
dayman

I'm more of a firearms enthusiast than a collector, so I trade things around quite a lot. If I find something I really like I keep it, but I have neither the money nor the inclination to keep everything I've ever owned.
I've never sold anything so unique I couldn't get another one if I really wanted to.
Old January 3, 2013, 11:00 PM   #45
Drummer101

I guess I have...

Traded a Talon SS CO2 air rifle for a CZ 452 (was not longer legally allowed to use the air gun in my yard)
Sold a CZ 452 Trainer (kind of regret but it allowed me to be able to do an appleseed)
Sold Remington 870 18" (bead was tricky with slugs so I want something else)
Sold M1 Garand (could not hit a thing and went to a good home)
EnField (got it for free, traded for a much more accurate M44)
Sold a bolt action Mossberg shotgun to a friend for what I got it at (no loss but my mom that it was a cool gun)

I have only been shooting for 3 years and am only 21
Old January 3, 2013, 11:03 PM   #46
TXAZ

Often break it. My needs / tastes change, and I'm not up to keeping 100+ weapons that I wouldn't get out and shoot frequently.

If you are one of the lucky ones that can afford to do that $ and time wise, I'm in awe!

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 4, 2013, 01:07 AM   #47
silvermane_1

did it again today, i traded my Walther P22 for a Ruger MK III, funny thing is i traded it to the same guy i bought the P22 from, but he is guy i mostly do FTF deals from.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old January 4, 2013, 07:59 AM   #48
CajunBass

I said earlier that I buy and trade them all the time. I have been known to buy the very same gun twice.

Not long ago I sold a 1955 Smith & Wesson M&P 38. Nice five screw gun with diamond Magna grips (not the original ones). It was a nice gun, but I didn't shoot it a lot. Sold it and forgot about it.

Several months later my wife said she wanted to get "just a plain 38" to shoot at the range. Well, darn...I just sold one of those that would have been perfect. We'll have to look for another one.

A week or so ago, we go the LGS, and I see an old K-frame in the back of the case. Ask to see it, and it's the same one I sold a few months back. It's back in my safe now.

Sure, I had to pay a little more for it, but it was less than a pawn fee would have been.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 4, 2013, 11:44 AM   #49
bikerbill

I've only sold two guns outright, don't miss either of them ... I've traded a few because I wanted the new one more than I liked the old one and couldn't afford the new one at the time without the trade ... Currently trying to pick a gun to trade for an XDs, but it's soooo hard!!
Old January 4, 2013, 04:13 PM   #50
johnwilliamson062

I buy, sell, trade, gift, etc. whenever I feel like it. I'll even let them sit dirty for long periods of time.

No emotional attachment to my firearms. None of the guns I have owned have been so rare i can't buy one in better condition down the road if I start feeling nostalgic.