The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 15, 2010, 08:18 PM   #1
kokopelli

Beretta Stampede- anybody done any work on one?

I picked up a Beretta Stampede Marshall, 3.5" barrel, in 45 Colt. It is the 'Old West Antiqued Finish. The trigger on this thing is unbelievable! I've had trigger jobs done that weren't this good!
The only thing I don't like about it is the 'transfer bar' style hammer/pin setup.
Has anyone done any work on these that can tell me if I could swap out parts and install the standard Uberti 'pin-on-the-hammer setup?

I'll get picks up of mine asap, but here's what I got. Oh- the finish is much darker than the pic in the ad.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/bere...-p-116521.html
Old September 15, 2010, 08:41 PM   #2
denster

If I recall correctly the stampede uses a frame mounted firing pin and transfere bar system. That would not be compatible with a change out to a hammer mounted firing pin.
Old September 16, 2010, 03:00 AM   #3
olyinaz

Got one also!

Mine's slicker 'n snot and locks up tight as a drum. I wouldn't change the firing system at all if I were you and in fact I actually like the fact that the Stampede and Rugers are safe with six. That's why I buy 'em.

Good luck in your quest if you can't be talked out of it.

(I had to snort at that "Our Low Price" at Able's - LOL! Sheesh, I paid hundreds less than that.)

Best,
Oly
Old September 16, 2010, 08:58 AM   #4
kokopelli

Wow! Beautiful photo!!

Quote:
If I recall correctly the stampede uses a frame mounted firing pin and transfere bar system. That would not be compatible with a change out to a hammer mounted firing pin.
That's what I was wondering- if the Stampede's transfer bar could be removed and the 'normal' hammer installed?
Old September 17, 2010, 08:29 AM   #5
Rusty.it

No, you must drill the frame where is now floating percussor!
But beretta stampede is made from Uberti why don't buy direct Uberti?
Rusty
Old September 17, 2010, 02:22 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

Oly - that's one "butt ugly" hunk of iron you've got there . . . . I would think that you'd be embarassed to carry it? Why don't you just box 'er up and mail it to me and I'll dispose of it fer ya? Oh . . . and don't forget to send the holster rig as well . . . you won't be a needin' it since you're sending me the hunk of iron.

In reality . . . I have got to tell you . . . that is one sweet looking pistol and holster rig! Very VERY nice!!!! I just may have to put one of those on my "wish list"! I just bought a New Vaquero a little while ago and I love it. It is one sweet shooting pistol - I got the blued 5 1/2" barrel - my first venture in to the new fangled cartridge guns. Now I'm hooked! Thanks for sharing the photo! Please excuse me know while I go drool over the photo a few more minutes . . . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 17, 2010, 08:19 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

O.K. . . now that I made fun of your pistol Oly . . . . well, not really as it is REALLY nice . . . . I've got some questions. Hope you can help out on them. As I said in my previous post, the New Vaquero is my first venture into "cartridge" handguns. I got mine in 357 as I really like the 38 special cartridge and can shoot them in it. I'm not shooting competition - just target and plinking. I love it but I have to admit, after looking at the photo of your Beretta, I could really go for one of those with that style of grip frame - I looked at a number on GunBroker to just get familiar with the offerings, styles, etc. I am assuming that the type of grip frame that you have is the "Marshall"?

Now . . . not to put you on the spot, but I'm really curious. As I said, I love my New Vanquero - rugged, well balanced, great quality, etc. My question is this. If you lay your Bertetta next to your Vaquero, compare them, shoot them, handle them, look at quality, finish, fit, etc. - would you choose one over the other? I would have to guess that mechanically they are very similar - bar safety, etc. so does one have something "special" over the other?

when I was looking at getting my Vaquero, I saw prices that varied for the same model. I ended up getting it at a nearby gunshop - they had to order it and had quoted me a price of $530. Trust me, it was a careful decision as that is the most that I have ever spent on a handgun . . . but . . . do to having to get a purchase permit here in Michigan, locating a shop that had one or would order one in instead of having to pay a FFL fee to someone for having it shipped to them if I bought it on a auction site, etc. - I decided to buy it locally. The next time I went in to the shop after getting it, they had ordered another one and it was priced at $565 in their showcase. Could you give a comparision on the cost between the Vaquero and the Beretta? What would be a good price to pay for a new Beretta Marshall? Any comments, input, opinions would be greatly appreciated from you and those that have them. Many thanks - I really appreciate it!

See what you started by posting that photo of you hunk of iron? By the way . . . your Beretta Marshall looks like it would "melt into your hand"!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 17, 2010, 08:37 PM   #8
plumbernater

Hey Olyinaz where did you get your holster. I have a cimerron thunderer just like it and I like your holster. And I have to keep mine on a empty cylinder
Old September 18, 2010, 01:08 AM   #9
olyinaz

Thanks y'all. The holster is a DeSantis and I got it at a local shop. It fits my Montado and Marshall like a glove (their exterior dimensions must be nearly identical) but the Montado barrel juts out just a bit because it's a 3.75" tube whereas the Marshall is a 3.5".

I paid $330 on clearance at Sportsman's Warehouse for my Marshall but they usually run more like $400. My Montado New Vaq (polished stainless) was close to $600 at the time but they've come down I think.

In terms of fit and finish the New Vaq is simply lovely. I think the process that they use to polish up the stainless makes the revolver slicker in general and as a result it feels like a Python to me compared to the rest of my single actions (all inexpensive Rugers and Italians - let me make that disclaimer) so I'll give it the nod for sure. But the Beretta certainly seems solid without question and I'm sure it will give years of service just fine.

I love the polish on the New Vaqs:

Cheers,
Oly
Old September 22, 2010, 09:22 AM   #10
plumbernater

Heres mine with my ROA . I give 175 for mine a few years back. The closest thing I have to a snuby
Old September 22, 2010, 07:44 PM   #11
bedbugbilly

After seeing the photos of this model . . . well . . . the "bug bit" and I fell in love with it. I was at the gunshop today where I had bought my New Ruger Vaquero and asked about whether they could get one, price, etc. He went into the back room, was gone for a few minutes checking and then came back and had a Beretta catalog that he opened up, showing a model with the birdshead "Marshall" type grip but then told me that their new catalog didn't list the "Beretta Stampede Marshall". He had checked some of their vendors and none were available and Beretta didn't answer when he called there. He then said that they were showing another model with the same type of grip with a 5" (or so) barrel. I thanked him for his time and said I would check again when I got back in the spring from Arizona. I honestly don't know if he knew what he was talking about or not. Can somebody out there shed some light on the availability of the Beretta Stampede Marshall? I know they are Uberti. He showed me a Beretta SAA clone - nickle plated - and I have to say I was impressed with the revolver - great fit and finish and I felt equally as good as my New Vaquero. I'd like to get a "Marshall" in 357 (I love the 38 spl. cartridge) with a shorter barrel. I don't have a FFL and would have to order it through a dealer. (I'm a resident of Michigan). I would like to have a shorter barreled similar to the one shown on this thread. Can you advise me what the barrel lengths are that this model is made in? Any information or suggestions as to the availability of them would be greatly appreciated!

The day wasn't an entire waste though . . . . I found a Colt Official Police in 38 spl (mfg. in 1944) that I'm going back for tomorrow to keep my Colt Army Special - 38 spl. (mfg. in 1909) company!

Thanks!
Old September 22, 2010, 08:38 PM   #12
olyinaz

Beretta only shows the "Old West" finish as available in the Marshall on their web site now and only in .45 Colt:

http://www.berettausa.com/products/s...45-colt-3-1/2/

There is at least one available in the standard, glossy finish on Gunbroker right now:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=191212924

I bought mine at Sportsman's Warehouse (on clearance...you don't want to know what I paid...) and it was a regular stock item, so if there is one of those by you perhaps give it a call and see if they have any.

Also, bear in mind that these guns are made for Beretta by Uberti, and Uberti also makes a similar model for Cimarron called the Thunderer. The Cimarron model will have standard SAA lock work (not safe with six) but I suspect that the grip frames are nearly identical:

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Spe...undererStd.htm

And they make it in Stainless (!):

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Spe...dererStain.htm

If you're fan of the movie "Tombstone", there is the snazzy Doc Holliday model:

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Spe...ocHolliday.htm

Uberti itself sells a birdshead grip version of their Cattleman 1873-style revolver. This grip feels largely the same in the hand as the Beretta Marshall's grip but it does not have the Colt Lightning style hump at the top of the frame. Frankly, I don't find it as attractive but it's perhaps more authentic:

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/stall..._bird_head.php

Interestingly, they make the Uberti in a 4" barrel length which is somewhat unusual for a SAA. It looks quite nice and balanced. The Beretta Marshall is a 3.5" gun by comparison and I love it exactly as is but I won't claim that it balances perfectly (nor does my Montado), only that it's compact and I like it for what it is - a very tight little hammer in .45 Colt!

Colt Birdhead models are available if you have the $$ and lastly U.S. Firearms makes Birdshead models today. They're very pricey but many say they're best mass produced SAA revolvers ever sold:

http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/USFA-N...head-Model.asp

You can order those any number of ways and man are they nice!

I had my Marshall out to the range today and with factory 200gr. hollow points I was putting them all into 2" at 15 yards. That's good shooting for me (I make no claims of being a crack shot) and I just could not like this pistol any more than I do!

Cheers,
Oly

Last edited by olyinaz; September 22, 2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old September 23, 2010, 09:14 AM   #13
bedbugbilly

Thank you Oly - I appreciate all the info. As I said before, I just got in to the "new fangled cartridge" pistols and have been looking at one in 357 so I could shoot 38 spl. Mainly b ecause that is what my New Vaquero and my Colt Army Special (made in 1909) are eating as far as cartidges. I guess I really need to start thinking "outside the box" and start looking in other calibers. I'm going to try and hit a couple of gunshows while I'm in AZ for the winter and maybe I can run across something out there. Your Marshall with the short barrel just looks so durned pretty! Again, thanks for the info and I'll keep on looking. Have a good one! Sincerely, Bedbug