The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2011, 04:24 PM   #1
DennisE

Small pistol primmered 45 ACP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man am I sick of finding these dxmn things mixed in with my brass! I try to just retrieve my own brass but there's a lot of brass out there and suddenly as I'm trying to reload ammo... suddenly...crunch...and despite all efforts one of those little sxbs has crept into the mix. It sure slows things down. Am I the only one getting annoyed at this? Thanks, Dennis
Old March 11, 2011, 04:40 PM   #2
4runnerman

You did'nt catch it when you cleaned primer pockets or flash holes?. that is where i catch mine,and into the garbage they go.Well actually into the sell for scrap barrel they go.
Old March 11, 2011, 04:55 PM   #3
maillemaker

I don't clean my pockets and primer holes specifically - I wet tumble with shot and they get cleaned in there.

Steve
Old March 11, 2011, 05:06 PM   #4
dahermit

The first step in hand loading is: "Inspect the cases." What do you not understand about that?
Old March 11, 2011, 05:12 PM   #5
overkill0084

I always sort my range pickups by brand. I haven't found too many of the small primer stuff. Right now it goes into the recycling can, but I might start saving it as it becomes common. It might not be the best brass, but it's free if you just scrounged it. Get a couple hundred together & they might be worth using for some discipline where getting your brass back can be a pain.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old March 11, 2011, 07:37 PM   #6
Miata Mike

Save it and reload it if you ever come across one of those indoor ranges that don't want you to pick up your own brass. I have only found a few and tossed them into my "odds and ends" brass bin, but will reload them if I ever get enough.
Old March 11, 2011, 07:42 PM   #7
thump_rrr

I sort all of my brass by headstamp so they're picked out and kept separately.
I currently have about 200 of these with various headstamps.
Once I get 500 of these together I will load them whenever my progressive is set up for small primers.
Old March 11, 2011, 09:14 PM   #8
Jerry45

It’s easy to spot your own brass. Take a Marks A Lot (pick a color) and run it across the base of the cartridges while they’re in the plastic boxes. When your picking up “your” brass if you pick up one that isn’t marked toss it. If you decide to pick up other brass you must inspect and sort.
Old March 11, 2011, 09:39 PM   #9
zxcvbob

Keep it until you have enough to be worth reloading. It doesn't take any more effort to toss it in a coffee can as it does to throw it away. Who knows, maybe someday all pistol ammo will have small primers and you'll be ahead of the curve.

Meanwhile, it still might come in handy when you just need to reload a box of 50 and your press is set up for small primers already.
Old March 13, 2011, 04:26 PM   #10
b money

If no one likes the SP 45acp PLEASE send it to me!!!! Don't throw it away or scrap it until its split or in some other way non-reloadable. It goes bang just the same. I size/deprime all my brass then when I clean the primer pockets I sort the LP and SP primers.

PS- I'm completely serious about sending the brass to me If you have enough I'll pay shipping.
Old March 13, 2011, 07:17 PM   #11
c.robertson

I beleive if you look the headstamp it will include 'NT' on it. I do think small primed .45 ACP brass is so stamped for Non Toxic.