The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 7, 2018, 04:12 PM   #1
Dano4734

Back to iron on my casull

My ruger super redhawk is incredibly accurate with my full power loads but putting my scope back on, just like always ,after a box or so through it the bottom lugs go loose. Blue loctite yup still the same. The super redhawk does not need a base mount. It’s built into the gun.ruger gives you the rings that fit perfect into the slots on the gun. I wanted the scope for deer but now just going to practice with the iron. I read lots of people find the same thing with the casull recoil. If someone has a better solution please tell me as red loctite is not an option.
Old October 8, 2018, 09:46 AM   #2
OldNick

Just use the red LockTite.

Removing is no problem with a bit of heat. Touch it for a few seconds with a soldering iron, it'll come right out.
Old October 8, 2018, 07:26 PM   #3
Dano4734

Thank you
Old October 8, 2018, 08:29 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Don't you just love it when some one says "its not an option" and what they get back is, "yes it is, do it this way..."

Maybe.

Loctite makes a whole range of threadlockers, grouped both in colors (red, blue, green, ) but also with numbers, llke 242, 271, etc. Red 242 and Red 271 are NOT the same thing, for example. Each one is intended for a particular type of application.

Some threadlocker products are intended to hold and be unscrewed when needed. Some require some heat in order to remove the screw or bolt. Some are made to be PERMANENT, and those are dammed difficult to remove.

SO, please, don't just "use the red one" do some research and see which one the company recommends for what you want.

I've had good luck with a product called "Guntite" it holds everything I've tried it on, and doesn't need heat to remove, just a correctly fitting tool.

I'll admit, I don't have a scoped Ruger with Ruger rings, so I can't say for certain, from personal experience about that. But everything else I've used it on has held just fine (including the recoil rods of my Auto Mag). The key to having a threadlocker hold properly is to degrease the threads, before using it. Remove all oil/grease from all the threads, using the proper solvent. Then add a drop of the threadlocker per mfg instructions, assemble and let set.

This has worked for me, I expect it would work for you, too.

Good Luck!
Old October 10, 2018, 09:38 AM   #5
jaguarxk120

It's very easy to recommend red Loctite to someone when your
not the one removing those screw after it set's up!!!
Old October 10, 2018, 05:40 PM   #6
Dano4734

Appreciate the advice I have not put anything on yet will research your suggestion thank you
Old October 10, 2018, 07:10 PM   #7
Dufus

Dano: I still am reluctant to put optics on mine and have been shooting iron since day one.

My eyes are not new, so I have learned to compensate for the old eyes. It ain't so bad.
Old October 12, 2018, 05:45 AM   #8
Road_Clam

Whatever thread lock you choose make sure the mating surfaces are clean and free of oil. I use a bit of automotive Brake cleaner to clean. I prefer the Permatex "blue" semi-permanent formula for scope bases.
Old October 14, 2018, 03:59 PM   #9
Dano4734

Today I made up a box of hardcast and h100. Usually I use n110. With the iron on the bench the 50 yard target was great. No more scope for me