The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 17, 2018, 07:54 AM   #76
jar

Today it is my Star UltraStar.

Old September 18, 2018, 08:05 AM   #77
agtman

Quote:
* * * As to the price argument, there is absolutely no reason not to carry an expensive pistol if it is what you shoot well. Just be emotionally prepared to have it kicked across an asphalt parking lot by the first LEO on scene if you ever have to use it.
Actually, no.

If you ever have to use it, your $3K Wilson Combat Super Duper 1911 will be confiscated by the first officers on the scene as 'evidence' in a homocide investigation and held in the PD's property lock-up for six months or however long, ... until some proper authority rules or determines that your use of deadly-force was legally justified.

Depending on the jurisdiction, that decision as to justification could be up to a D.A. or County Prosecutor, a grand jury, a judge, or a trial jury. And none of them will be in a hurry ...

Thus your psychology in choosing a carry weapon should be:

If I use it, am I prepared to lose it?" - for what could be a substantial period of time.

And during its time in the police property lock-up, your very pricey custom pistol will be fondled, dropped, drooled-over, dropped again, the slide repeatedly racked, the thing bumped and banged around and dry-fired a gazillion times, and with each shift-change more of the same, ... not to mention at some point it'll get 'test-fired' (but only for 'official reasons,' of course, such as to verify 'operability' - yeah, right. ).

All that starts to make something like an well-used but still serviceable Glock 19 or some 'beater' of a snubby - like my 3" Ruger Service Six - look like the ideal EDC weapon.

Old September 18, 2018, 08:31 AM   #78
Mike Irwin
Staff

My two primary carry handguns are my Taurus PT-22 (.22 LR) and an S&W Model 042 Centennial (.38 Spl.)

I also carry (depending on the season, clothing, etc.):

P7 PSP (9mm)

S&W Model 19 2.5" (.357)

S&W Model 30 (.32 Long)

I'll probably add my S&W 4506-1 (.45) and my S&W 410 (.40) at some point in the future.

I'm also looking at getting a Ruger Security 9 as both a house gun and occasional carry gun.

And, I bought an S&W Model 38 Humpback (.38) that I'll likely start carrying.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 18, 2018, 06:11 PM   #79
Metallifan33

I'm surprised at the number of people that CC full size pistols (not judging btw, just didn't think the percentage of people carrying full size pistols was so high).
Also, not one P365? I know it has had some growing pains, but I figured there'd be at least one.
G26 here (on body)
Sometimes I carry in a backpack, and when I do, it's a full size M&P 9 2.0 (which I prefer).
Old September 18, 2018, 08:17 PM   #80
davidsog

SIG P365 EDC in the town and a HK USP-C .45 in the woods.
Old September 19, 2018, 07:58 AM   #81
ManyMag

P320c RX. CCW or open depending on the company.
It is decked out for one handed use and it's the one I train with.
Old September 19, 2018, 11:44 AM   #82
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallifan33 View Post
I'm surprised at the number of people that CC full size pistols .
I carried a Glock 26/27 for about 15 years, moved up to a 19/23, eventually moved up to 21/22. Probably the opposite of what most do over time.
Old September 19, 2018, 03:12 PM   #83
davidsog

Quote:
Also, not one P365?
With over a million examples sold and it being a number sale pistol at many retailers (PX has a two month plus waiting list).....

I think “The Firing Line Forum” is not a very good statistical sample to make any conclusion, lol.
Old September 19, 2018, 09:40 PM   #84
gregstudeny

Colt defender, colt combat commander, colt mustang Pocketlite, naa pug, s&w 340pd, and soon a cz75 pcr when my holster comes in. I wear scrubs to work and that is the reason for the light weight guns.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Old September 19, 2018, 10:40 PM   #85
cslinger

Quote:
I'm surprised at the number of people that CC full size pistols (not judging btw, just didn't think the percentage of people
For me I came to the conclusion that even IWB requires a cover garment and even tuckable generally has clips etc. so I finally just settled on OWB with a decent cover garment.

With that in mind a good OWB high and tight holster with a good belt and a decent cover garment you can pretty much run a Beretta 92 comfortably although I stick to G19 sized. (P2000).

Occasionally if I need deeper concealment there is the P2000sk or if even more discreet a Walther PPS (my only striker carry choice). Pocket or ankle carry are so rare but a J Frame gets that nod.

All that being said 95% of the time it’s an HK P2000 in 9mm or .40 with flat baseplates summer/winter/whatever. Also my house Gun, utility Gun etc. etc. same Gun, same manual of arms, same grip same everything. House Gun has a light and extended baseplate, carry Gun no light flat baseplate.

I shoot a TON of different guns but for SD I have the same everything 99% of the time.
Old September 21, 2018, 12:40 AM   #86
EnoughGUN

Hot weather/ shorts T-shirt etc = Bond bullpup
When clothing permits - Sig p320 x-carry, USP compact .357sig or 229 Legion
Old September 21, 2018, 07:19 AM   #87
jar

Today it is an FM 95-Classic OWB in a 1791 Holster.

Old September 21, 2018, 07:20 AM   #88
ozarkhillbilly

XD9 subcompact or a HK P7

If I cant carry either of those I do have a Beretta Tomcat in 32acp & Beretta 950 in 25acp I will carry.
Old September 21, 2018, 08:16 AM   #89
jr24

Sig P226 SAO, in 9mm, has supplanted my Glock as carry gun recently, dont see going back to the Glock anytime soon.

May switch it up to a R1 Enhanced Doublestack when we get to jacket weather.
Old September 21, 2018, 01:22 PM   #90
peterg7

What pistol do you edc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by peterg7; September 21, 2018 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Deleted, wrong post.
Old September 21, 2018, 01:29 PM   #91
peterg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallifan33 View Post
I'm surprised at the number of people that CC full size pistols (not judging btw, just didn't think the percentage of people carrying full size pistols was so high).

Also, not one P365? I know it has had some growing pains, but I figured there'd be at least one.

G26 here (on body)

Sometimes I carry in a backpack, and when I do, it's a full size M&P 9 2.0 (which I prefer).

Kinda makes one wonder who is buying all the compact, subcompact and pocket guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 22, 2018, 05:35 PM   #92
Sneakerh3ad

its due to printing issues. If I had a choice, i'd CCW my FNX 45 Tac with 16+1 rds, but due to it being so big, its hard to hide the gun underneath your summer clothes. But with a large jacket, i can conceal just about anything, even a 12 gauge sbr, lol.