The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 14, 2011, 06:33 PM   #1
brmfan

What tool for the job??

I need to bevel one side of a Glock 23 trigger guard to keep my middle finger knuckle from being abused with each shot. I know this is a common issue and many have suggested ye 'ol Dremel, but it seems a bit aggressive and could end up worse than planned. What do the Smithy gurus suggest? Small rat tail file, fine grit paper? I'm not looking to remove a lot of material- just bevel the outside edge a bit to take the bite out.
Old May 14, 2011, 08:06 PM   #2
GURU1911

Start with some 600 grit emery paper, tear off a small piece, & wrap around a popsicle stick. Gently began removal of the affected area & test with your shooting hand frequently.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old May 14, 2011, 09:21 PM   #3
Jeff F

If you go the Dremel route one word of caution, lock what ever you are working on down in a good vice with the appropriate vice jaws.
Old May 15, 2011, 12:33 PM   #4
drail

600 grit paper is going to take a...... very...... long.... time. A pocketknife would work much better and then finish up with sandpaper.
Old May 15, 2011, 01:59 PM   #5
brmfan

Update

Thanks for the feedback! I played it down the middle and used (with a very light touch) a small square of 60 grit wrapped around a spent .308 case. This allowed me to put a nice and even 45 degree bevel on the back edge of the trigger guard. OMG! What a difference! I can now put a death grip on the pistol without my knuckle getting in the way. With the adjustable backstrap (Gen4), it now fits my hand perfectly. I'll see if I can get some decent pics to post.

My thought is why the heck doesn't Glock put a bevel on it to begin with since this seems to be a common complaint with folks that have larger paws?
Old May 15, 2011, 02:37 PM   #6
brmfan

Pics

Here are the unaltered and altered views of the trigger guard. As you can see I didn't take a lot of material off. I just made sure to get the right angle so my knuckle wouldn't get smashed up against the edge of the trigger guard. It is SOOOOO much more comfortable now and I can finally apply the correct grip which should help my accuracy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unfiled.JPG (98.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Filed.JPG (89.0 KB, 45 views)
Old May 16, 2011, 02:58 AM   #7
HiBC

You got it done,good.I assume it was polymer? A good simple tool for that sort of work is a scraper.I make mine by taking a piece of .020 or so feeler gage stock and taking it to a grinder(fine wheel).I just gentle grind an arc across the end of a piece.It will leave a small burr.That is the cutting edge.I just drag that on my workpiece.It shaves clean without leaving the fuzz of a file or grind wheel.