The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 18, 2007, 11:27 PM   #1
katana8869

Classic Lee Loader Kit, anybody use one for .45 acp or 9mm?

I have VERY little reloading experience, but my Dad gave me one of these kits for loading .357 Magnum cartriges years ago when I was in college.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...leeloader.html

For throwing together range ammo for my revolvers, it seemed to work pretty well, it just took forever. I am considering getting one to use to load up 50 or so .45's or 9mm's a week to burn up on the weekends. I'm not looking for match accuracy and I'm not concerned about the time involved. I just want something to load range ammo with that will also serve as a "stress buster" in the evenings.

My question is whether or not one of these kits will produce ammo that will chamber and feed reliably in a semi auto? Does the die size the brass? I know autos are more picky about case length ect. and require more attention than revolvers. I already have a powder scale and a set of dial calipers. Is there anything else I would need for my little set up?
Old February 19, 2007, 12:00 AM   #2
rwilson452

The Lee loader can make ammo just as good as anything else, as you have found out it just takes a lot longer.
Old February 19, 2007, 05:23 AM   #3
mjrodney

Quote:
that will also serve as a "stress buster" in the evenings
Can I relate to that statement....

That being said, however, and although the Wee Lee will work for you, a more traditional single stage will likely meet your needs in the long term.

Very few who continue to reload will ever be without a single stage press.

And if you don't have a workbench to mount a press to, consider a folding Black & Decker Workmate or one of it's many clones out there.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/Produc...Path=1496.1506

It, and the press, will store away neatly.

A hand held primer tool will be an asset for you, as well.

As for proper feeding, combine the use of a Lee Factory Crimp die with your calipers for OAL and you will be fine.