The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2007, 04:53 PM   #1
CrustyFN

Amerc

I just wanted to make sure before I buy. I was looking at some American Ammunition in 223 and was wondering if that is Amerc brass?
Rusty
Old February 11, 2007, 10:57 PM   #2
CHAINSAW

Crusty, Have you used American before? One of those non brandnames has been quite a bit of trouble but I can't remember which one. Maybe others here might know.
Old February 12, 2007, 12:46 PM   #3
ledavatar

Yup, American Ammunition is the dreaded A-Merc.
Old February 12, 2007, 06:37 PM   #4
Lycanthrope

Run Away!

Run Away!
Old February 12, 2007, 06:44 PM   #5
CrustyFN

Already running. I can't believe how hard it has been to find anybody who has some decent 223 ammo in stock.
Rusty
Old February 12, 2007, 08:55 PM   #6
dogfood

Crusty:

Concerning the AMERC, if you have not yet finished running away, please remember to run away further ...

As for decent .223 ammo in stock ... I am not up on who has what, as I haven't been hunting .223 in awhile. But it appears that AIM Surplus has NATO Radway Green (British, I think) SS109 (non-cor, boxer) for $170/720 rounds in a can. Not sure if that's a great price, but AIM is usually competitive ... provided the shipping to your neck of the woods doesn't kill you.

dogfood
Old February 13, 2007, 04:20 PM   #7
mfree

The latest CTD catalog had Igman (sp?) M855 in it.

I drank the cool-aid.
Coal Creek Armory
Old February 16, 2007, 08:08 PM   #8
G56

Over on AR15.com they have a sticky called the Ammunition Review & Reference, for this they survey actual users of ammo to find out their experience with it, based on feedback from actual users they assign a ranking based on that information.

Here's what it says about American Ammunition:

Quote:
SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT American (AMERC) AMMUNITION:

Bushmaster specifically prohibits using this ammo.

As mentioned above, AMERC ought to be considered off-limits. I have searched the archives and found just some of the many first-hand comments about AMERC:

sambeaux: Mine are pretty similar to other posts. My brothers and I each bought a couple of boxes of 45ACP, and I also bought a box of 9mm. Frightening stuff. Bullets were noticeably deformed in some cases. Most bullets looked like they'd taken a trip through a ball mill... Numerous dings and dents. Sound and recoil indicated highly erratic pressures. Some rounds were almost silent, some cause a big BOOM. Most of the primer pockets were loose enough that I could push in a new primer with my fingers. The brass for the 45 was also interesing. I could not chamber any of my reloads using the Amerc brass in an AMT Hardballer. Loads from the same session using other brass chambered fine. I ended up pulling all the bullets and throwing away all the A-Merc brass. Never been brave enough to buy American again.

Shotgun12: The problem I had, was failure to chamber .... due to cartridges being out of spec (.45ACP).
I tried one box a while back, and had to toss nearly half of 'em, because the rounds were too large in diameter to fit in the chamber.

fxntime: After seeing a friend "reconfigure" his gun with amerc I would not touch it. See way to much of it's brass with splits to ever trust it. Pure CRAP!!!!!

brouahaha: I have seen a .45 blow up at the range. I have seen a .223 squib load. I have seen more than one split neck. None were my weapons nor ammo, but I was present. The squib and the split necks were the same schmuck who kept shooting with no regard to himself.

barrysuperhawk: I bought 100 rounds of 55gr. .223 A-Merc, in two of the 50 round blue boxes. I opened the boxes and didn't see anything amiss at the time. Later, as I set about assembling them onto stripper clips, I noticed a disparity in the oal, bullet seating. Some of the rounds have the canellure fully exposed, on others the bullet is seated well below the cannelure. The crimp seems random also. As it stands, I don't think, I want to shoot them as they are.

SP10: I have no experience with A-merc's .223, but their .45 ACP ammo is total dreck. Brass is out of spec, non-reloadable. I tried this crap 2-3 years ago and learned my lesson. 2 friends recently bought some. It did chamber (unlike some of the crap I bought) and go bang, with the occasional primer falling out of the pocket upon firing.

FlameRed: Last year I picked up a few thousand rounds of American Ammo's .223 from Natchez. Started to get primer blow out which jammed the rifles badly. American customer service was very good, and they paid to take the ammo back from me and replaced it. Took some of the replacement stuff out yesterday and got another primer blow out.

Troy: In my 9 years at AR15.com, nearly half of the blown-up guns were attempting to fire American Ammuntion. $10 is a cheap lesson.

shultz: AMERC is some of the WORST ammo I've ever seen. A friend shot some .45/9mm that was scary... something like this... Bang, BANG, BOOM... very eratic and forget about groups. I had the misfortune of getting some Pistol brass with AMERC head stamps. Primer flash holes were drilled off center... some were in the EDGE of the primer pocket! I split a few cased in half to look at the cross section... web was THIN, side wall's were not uniform and the brass itself looked odd... almost like it was not all brass. needless to say I didn't reload a case... no wonder it was free myself I would ot run ONE round of that stuff through any of my Pistols... I didn't even know they made rifle ammo... no way would I shoot it.

northern: bought a case from S.G. of 30. carbine. Split cases and 2' groups it is junk!
http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=210

It's also worth reading this "Ammo Advisory" from Bushmaster about American Ammunition and Olympic, another junk brand.
http://www.bushmaster.com/documents/ammoadvisory.pdf
Old February 17, 2007, 02:00 AM   #9
Big Don

Crusty, one of the first posts I made at TFL dealt with split .223 cases that came from AMERC. I was somewhat horrified to see the number of responses I received about that junk. You might want to do a search to see what I saw and then make sure that stuff never darkens your door or your chamber.
Old February 18, 2007, 04:23 PM   #10
BHP9

CRAP!

I had some 9mm and after 180rds the gun was jamming. The chamber was filthy. I never had this problem with reloads a Bullsey powder until about 1000rds.
Old February 19, 2007, 07:27 AM   #11
Powderman

Amerc?

Let me tell you about my experience with....uh oh....can't finish....I....huuuuuurrrk......huuuuuuurrrrrk.....UUUUUUURRRRRRRRRP!! :barf: :barf:

There, that's much better.

Must find some Federal, Winchester, Remington, good milsurp or even Wolf to get the bad taste out...
Old February 19, 2007, 03:55 PM   #12
mfree

My own experience with Amerc: 158gr 9mm. All chambered, 2/3 fired.

Two thirds fired.

TWO THIRDS. A 33.33% failure rate with BRAND NEW, off the shelf ammunition!

That should say enough. There's no excuse whatsoever for the stuff. We ban it wholesale at the range.

I drank the cool-aid.
Coal Creek Armory
Old February 20, 2007, 02:05 AM   #13
fourrobert13

Check the reviews for this stuff at www.midwayusa.com. They are not good.