The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old October 12, 2010, 03:59 PM   #1
ace4059

Quotes

Can the staff change the quotes settings. Instead of the quotes coming the blog entry (reply), You should be able to access the quotes from the main thread. Basically when you copy what somone said, and paste it into the reply, you have no clue who said it, or where it was from.

vvv See below vvv

Quote:
Uploading a picture from your computer:

As long as the image you want to display fits the following restrictions...

bmp 97.7 KB
gif 97.7 KB
jpeg 244.1 KB
jpg 244.1 KB
pdf 390.6 KB
txt 170.9 KB

...then you can click the "Attachments" button
No one knows who said that quote, or where it came from.

But if you enable the quotes from the thread, then you will have the name of the person who said the quote, and there will be an arrow where you can click on it, and that link will take you to the original quote, even if the original quote is from a different thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dro57 View Post
I have a complete Glock 35, 40cal, upper slide assembly, factory fixed sights, includes all internal parts, barrel and recoil spring. It's in excellent condition and has cycled around 700 rnds. Ready to slap on a third generation G22 frame. Asking $325 shipped. Will consider offers and possible trades. Please keep in mind that I live in the People's Republic of Kalifornia. Photo's available upon request.

******SOLD PENDING FUNDS*******

[This message has been edited by dro57 (edited October 23, 2000).]
See, the difference between these two quotes. If you click the arrow, it takes you to the original message, no matter how old it is (notice that quote is from 2000).

I just think that would be more helpful, and a better system of quoting, so we know who said the quote and we can go back to it and see the context of the quote.

Thank You
Ryan
Old October 12, 2010, 04:05 PM   #2
ace4059

I read the sticky about "quotes", but I think it would be better and less confusing for the members if you enabled the quote button on the threads where it has the option to go back and see the original quote.
Old October 12, 2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Nope we aren't going to bring back the Quote button in posts.

It is grossly abused by those who use it as the "Post reply" button instead of deciding what actually needs to be quoted and what doesn't. The threads become a morass of long quotes often followed by one line replies, or worst of all, a "+1".

The small amount of time it takes to quote someone else is a small price to pay for cleaner threads.
Old October 12, 2010, 09:01 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Obviously, this can already be done, as you know since you did it in your post above. The people who care enough to properly attribute the quote are already doing it and the people who don't care enough are the ones who would/did abuse the function. In other words, as Mal said, it's a lot of bad and not much good.
Old October 12, 2010, 10:03 PM   #5
ace4059

Thank You

Ok Thank You Mal for reading this and explaining it to me. I just thought it was weird that this forum did not have that feature, since all the other ones I visit do. I understand about people abusing that feature, I am just new and was wondering why y'all didn't have it. Thanks for your time, and sorry I opened another post about quotes.
Close away.

-Ryan
Old October 12, 2010, 10:08 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace4059 View Post
Close away.
Will do.
Closed Thread