The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 23, 2013, 12:52 PM   #1
.50cal packer

why so short???

Why is it, that rifled barrels for shotguns are so much shorter than average barrel length of most shotguns? 26"-28". Is the rate of twist a deciding factor?
Old January 23, 2013, 01:21 PM   #2
Scorch

Rifled barrels are made for deer hunters, who generally want a shorter, more maneuverable firearm than a shotgun with a 30" full choke barrel.
Old January 23, 2013, 01:49 PM   #3
chewie146

Exactly. Turkey, deer, and varmint hunters generally need something "quick." People who hunt certain birds like the swing characteristics of the 28 and 30 inch barrels. Personally, I hunt everything with 18-22" barrels. Those long barrels bother me. I'm no expert wingshooter, though. Plus, I think a duck is just a liver with wings, and I don't like liver. Most of my shots are under 30 yards.
Old January 23, 2013, 01:59 PM   #4
.50cal packer

I'm aware of the purpose for their use. But thank you for bringing that up. Maneuverability, I could see working well, with the shorter barrel. Although duck blinds, I've been in, were pretty tight as well. Yet the standard for that is a 28", and yes I realize that it's a choked barrel in use there. I didn't know if there were ballistics involve with this or not. If maneuverability is the main reason for them, then this was a stupid question, and apologize for the thread...

Last edited by .50cal packer; January 23, 2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old January 23, 2013, 02:09 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
Exactly. Turkey, deer, and varmint hunters generally need something "quick.
They want something that is about the same as their rifles, most of which have 22" barrels. these guns are aimed like a rifle, so rifle characteristics make more sense. target and upland guns are pointed and need to move in any direction, the longer barrels aid in the swing to target scenario
Old January 23, 2013, 09:04 PM   #6
jmr40

When shooting at moving game such as ducks the longer barrel effects balance. You can swing the gun smoother and the longer sightig plane helps get on target. You point a shotgun when shooting birds, or clay's

When hunting deer or turkey you are aiming your shotgun like a rifle. The added barrel lenght is simply not needed for this.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:04 AM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Not only is the length not needed but the added weight way out on the end makes the offhand aiming a much tougher exercise... I shoot slugs from both a mossberg 500 20gauge and an old side by side stevens gun...

Both are short barrels with the 500 having 18 inch and the stevens having a 20 IIRC...

The balance in the hands while the gun is in mount is great for longer term holds on target like when waiting to convert a "Texas Heart Shot" into a boiler room shot...

Brent
Old January 24, 2013, 03:18 PM   #8
twilly

The best producing partridge gun that I ever used was/is an old Stevens sxs with 19 inch barrels....especially early in the seaton when there are still a lot of leaves on the trees and your shots are usually close in. I cheated a little by loading the barrel with a smaller shot and the second larger for greater 'reach'.
Old January 24, 2013, 04:10 PM   #9
chewie146

To the OP.

Hey man, it wasn't a stupid question. It was seeking information on the unknown.