The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 21, 2013, 09:43 PM   #26
wstein

I think I had a panic buy when I ordered a XDm 45 compact. I had just gotten a p220 carry, didn't need another. But it was a good deal and I have had a hankering for 45's lately

I don't have a good signature.....
Old January 22, 2013, 01:18 PM   #27
chadio

Bought a stripped lower, so that one day when my son is old enough and responsible enough, he may have a rifle like dad's
Old January 22, 2013, 09:17 PM   #28
NWPilgrim

You probably know already chadio that stripped lowers do not stay that way for long. "Oh heck I might as well throw an LPK in there...what deal on a buttstock I might as well grab it...gee, I have a complete lower sitting around and an extra rear sight and lots of mags lying around..."
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old January 22, 2013, 10:01 PM   #29
Mystro

I bought a few extra top shelf handguns before the election. Prices were still good and I already had 14 handguns so its really not a question of panic but more of a "lifestyle".

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old January 22, 2013, 10:05 PM   #30
Dragline45

Just magazines for me, couple Beretta 92 15 rounders and a Springfield M1A 20rd.
Old January 23, 2013, 12:24 AM   #31
breakingcontact

Eh, sounds like you thought it out, that's not too "panicky".
Old January 23, 2013, 12:29 AM   #32
Cheapshooter

You need justification? Hum, strange!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 25, 2013, 06:11 PM   #33
NWPilgrim

Bought a Bushnell red dot for one of my M1 Carbines to try out (with Ultimak rail) and a Bushnell elite scope for an old rifle. Thinking this may be a good time to look for a used rifle like a Tikka, Winchester, Browning, or something in .30-06 or .308. Something newer than 1935 but in good shape.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old January 26, 2013, 09:28 AM   #34
FairWarning

I'd say there is a VERY good chance that hi cap mags and "assault" rifles will be banned for a few years until the Third World Clown in the White House and his cohorts are kicked out. But it will eventually fall, just like Clinton's. It he feels cocky enough to actually attempt to send his goons to TAKE what people already have, then the we have a major situation.

I already had most of what I wanted and will not spend a fortune on something that was 50% less 2 months ago.
Old January 26, 2013, 10:09 AM   #35
breakingcontact

Anything could happen but according to some article I read yesterday, the AWB may not even clear the Senate. I could definitely see a "high cap" ban. That doesn't have all the emotional connotations of "outlawing" or taking someones guns away. Of course it is incredibly dangerous still. Because as we see in NY, they can pick any arbitrary number for the limit. 7 is the limit in NY, what's next? 6...5...
Old January 26, 2013, 10:15 AM   #36
ScottRiqui

I see that the new proposed AWB doesn't have a "sunset" clause in it like the 1994 AWB did. That has me wondering - why did the 1994 automatically expire in the first place? Was there some technical reason why the sunset clause had to be there, or was it just something that was put in to make it more palatable and increase its chances?
Old January 27, 2013, 09:35 AM   #37
chadio

Quote:
You probably know already chadio that stripped lowers do not stay that way for long
Old January 30, 2013, 12:23 AM   #38
jimbob24

Thought I'd never be a panic buyer but I walked into a local shop today and found 9mm ammo, woo hoo! Ended up walking out with a sa xd9 sub compact. I definitely panicked, and couldn't turn down a good deal. Haven't told the woman yet though... congratulations on your purchase, if your happy, its justified!
Old January 30, 2013, 01:54 AM   #39
mjblucci

Mine was also an sks

I found a nice Russian sks with all matching numbers and in pretty good shape for 450 bucks. It wasn't the ak I wanted a few months ago, (even a beat up wasr-10 would have been fine) but since even the cheapest aks have exploded in price by over three times what they were in October, I guess I settled for the cartridge instead of the platform. I was the 7.62x39 that had me choosing ak over AR anyway. But I always knew the AR was also a very effective user friendly design. (totally kicking myself for not picking up an M&P15 when they were "cheap"

All in all I'm really only trying to pick up one box of ammo per week rotating between calibers, and when taxes come I'm getting a solid revolver and a 1911 (the only ones I regret selling/trading) maybe a shotgun when I scrounge up a few bucks, and then I'll wait till this crap dies down (if it does) before I get any collection pieces, or in another 20 or 30 years I'll inherit my dads collection (dcm garand, mak90, etc.)

Since I always had a thing for the trusty heavy haulers like the 6" smiths, 1911's and garands, I just didn't build up the appreciation for the latest and greatest advancements in the battle rifles and pistols of today and tomorrow until it was just a few weeks too late. Or did the Christmas bonus and tax returns come a few weeks too late? Hmmmmm.....
Old January 30, 2013, 08:19 AM   #40
Hal

Quote:
So, there's my confession - anyone else want to confess to a little "panic buying"?
Yep sure will confess...

Back in December of 1999, I bought a five pack of 12 ga rifled slugs and a big bag of pipe tobacco for the Y2K panic.

I dragged the slugs back out for the 12/21/2012 end of the world panic.
I believe my wife tossed out my "barter bag" of tobacco.
Maybe not....I haven't looked for it in years...maybe I should. I bet that stuff packs a real whallop after 14 years.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:12 AM   #41
recon14

My panic purchases were 1clip for my . 40 and 1500 small pistol primers. Primers were a just "because" buy since they are just hard to find lately.

sent from my S III using TapaTalk