The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 18, 1999, 02:09 PM   #1
Michael Carlin

I am about to purchase a real folding knife.
The choices I prefer are:

Kershaw 1510 Ken Onion Random Task

or

Benchmade 9050 Auto with lock.

As I am contemplating spending about three or four times what I am accustomed to, your candid input is sought.

Thanks in advance.

------------------
Ni ellegimit carborundum esse!

Yours In Marksmanship
http://www.1bigred.com/distinguished

michael

Old February 18, 1999, 05:55 PM   #2
Rob Pincus

(I hope no one's looking...)

I like BM Autos.. but I am also relatively new to many of the finer (custom, etc..) carry knives. I purchased a 9100 SBT a couple of weeks ago and have been carrying it pretty regualrly. The lock is a little sticky, but the blade is nice an the action is smooth.

I can't give you an opinion on the Kershaw.

I've seen Rich's Sebenza and it is very sweet, but I think it is in a different price category than the BM.
Old February 18, 1999, 08:07 PM   #3
Rich Lucibella
Staff

I'm not a fan of autos. Great for "Ooh, Ahh" appeal but too much to go wrong and no faster than a regular thumb stud/hole.

What's the price range you're looking at for the two you have in mind. We may have some other alternatives.

Also, check out our sister site at http://www.bladeforums.com for advice. Lots of good help there.
Rich
Old February 19, 1999, 08:04 AM   #4
Michael Carlin

Price range is around 120-150 bucks.

------------------
Ni ellegimit carborundum esse!

Yours In Marksmanship
http://www.1bigred.com/distinguished

michael

Old February 20, 1999, 06:50 AM   #5
thaddeus

Just don't get the Kershaw Onion! The lock is very poor and failed me, and the opening mechanism on the larger model is very sluggish because they used the same cam as they used on the smaller model.

I would get an Emerson Commander, a REKAT Carnivore or a Benchmade Axis in the price range you are looking at.

The Benchmade Pinnacle is also an excellent knife for the money.

The auto you are looking at will serve you well, those are just some other suggestions.

thaddeus
Old February 20, 1999, 08:44 AM   #6
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Can't loose with the Emmerson Commander. It's a rather large folder, however. The Wave feature enable opening as it is removed from the pocket.
Rich
Old February 22, 1999, 03:04 PM   #7
Gattling

I've found Gerber Applegate Combat Folder quite satisfactory. That might be due to the fact that most knife practise I've done is with rubber replica of Fairbairn-Applegate.

Gattling.
Old February 25, 1999, 11:59 AM   #8
KNIGHT

I own an Applegate and I found it to be avery nice knife except for the thumb stud. It is the stop for the blade at full extention and with normal use it becomes loose and actualy fell out of mine. Then I bought the BM stryker and was in love. this knife was everything I wanted sharp, quick, and stable in the hand. The price I paid was $92.50, however I had a friend with a FFL,and got it through a catalog.
Old February 26, 1999, 09:11 AM   #9
Jaeger

I switched from a Spyderco to a Cold Steel Voyager as my duty blade about 1 year ago. The cold steel is a fantastic blade. I've used it for everything from field dressing deer to cutting up my dinner to cutting the bumper off of a car. The blade holds an edge very well and is probably the easiest stainless steel blade I own to sharpen. The ATS34 steel used on the BM is top quality but I have found it to be difficult to work up a really good edge. The lock is extremely strong and I have never had it fail. I have the 4", half serrated Tanto blade but they also make clip points. You can get larger or smaller versions as well. Check out their web site (coldsteel.com). I don't work for them, I'm just a very satisfied customer. I use my knives hard and will put my Cold Steel up against a Benchmade any day. (altough I might have to have one of those Strykers!)

[This message has been edited by Jaeger (edited February 26, 1999).]
Old February 26, 1999, 10:16 AM   #10
KNIGHT

Hey Jaeger I found the Lansky system to sharpen even the super hard steel used in the mil spec survival knives the Air Force gives to it's pilots.
Old February 27, 1999, 01:04 PM   #11
Phillip

Micheal, buy yourself a Commander. It is a great knife! If you planned on an auto, the Commander has most of them beat. It opens as you pull it from your pocket, with a little practice. No buttons or locks to mess with. Your price range is just short of what you can buy a Commander for. If you look around on knifeforums, you can probably get one for about $150.

Phil