The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 22, 2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Z400ACDC

Leupold Vari xii 3-9x40????

What is your opinion on this scope? What is a good used one worth?
Old January 22, 2013, 04:22 PM   #2
hooligan1

Well they are a nice scope, for one thing and if it's used and in new condition then try to get it for less than $200.00. If it's new in the box $200 is decent.
Old January 22, 2013, 04:54 PM   #3
Saltydog235

Serviceable, middle of the road scope with decent optics that is higher priced than others that are just as good if not better. Depending on the condition 75-50% of new price if it is used. Probably Leupold's most popular offering and common scope, they are a plentiful if you look around. I own quite a few, just don't use them that much.
Old January 22, 2013, 05:39 PM   #4
sserdlihc

Good scopes. I have a var x ii on my 7mag. Went through several scopes before buying a Leupold. Could've saved myself alot of money if I had just went with Leupold in the first place.
Old January 22, 2013, 06:26 PM   #5
whitearrow

buy with confidence if its a genuine leupold. if you are the original owner or not you still get a lifetime warranty with them. i have several vx-2's and a couple varix-3's. all are great scopes.
Old January 22, 2013, 08:53 PM   #6
jmr40

Good scope in its day. Around $100-$125 would be fair depending on condition. The only negative is that it is several generations older and newer Leupold's are much improved. You can buy a new production VX-1 for $200 and get a much better scope. The older Leupold's were friction adjustable, even the VX-1's are now click adjustable.

The Vari-X II's were replaced many years ago by the XV-II's which were replaced by VX-2's. Which are on their 2nd generation of improvements. This years VX-1 is basically last years VX-2, which was a huge improvement over any of the older Vari-X scopes.

Here is a quote from Leupold's FAQ section comparing the Vari-X II and the Rifleman.

http://leupold.com/resources/faqs/

•Though the Rifleman line of scopes uses a different maintube (for aesthetic reasons), it is optically the same as the Vari-X II (discontinued for 2001). The adjustments are exactly the same as the Vari-X II (?-MOA friction) as are the lenses and coatings. All lenses, internal and external, are coated with magnesium fluoride. Basically, the Rifleman is a newer-looking matte finish version of the Vari-X II that helped build the Leupold reputation. It is important to note that Custom Shop options (reticle changes, target adjustment installation, etc.) are not available for the Rifleman line of scopes.

You can get the rifleman or VX-1 new for $200. Unless the Vari-X II was pretty cheap I'd buy new.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:07 PM   #7
reynolds357

I have one on my 35 Whelen. The only thing I did not like about it is that it was very hard to zero. It had to settle in. Now that it is Zeroed, it has stayed Zeroed for probably 15 years, but it was a chore to get it zeroed.
Old January 24, 2013, 08:03 PM   #8
Keg

Quote:
buy with confidence if its a genuine leupold. if you are the original owner or not you still get a lifetime warranty with them. i have several vx-2's and a couple varix-3's. all are great scopes.
A very good scope..IMO better than any of Leupolds cheaper scopes today....
Old January 24, 2013, 08:27 PM   #9
misterE

So what exactly is the difference between the vx-I and the vx-ii? I've got a Rifleman and 2 vx-I's that have never had to be touched after initial zeroing unless I changed ammo. I did notice that the most recent vx-I I bought a couple months ago had click adjustments. When I bought it, I compared it side by side with the vx-ii and could see no difference at all besides a different parallax adjustment.

By the way - to the OP - buy the Leupold with confidence. It will not let you down and if it ever does, their warranty is awesome. I've never had to use it myself - just nice to know its there. I've had a rifleman on a 300 win mag for 8 years - about 300 or so rounds and zero hasn't moved once. Even dropped this rifle a few times out in the woods.
Old January 25, 2013, 04:58 PM   #10
ttheel

I have vari x II's on my 7 mag and on my muzzleloader. The one on my 7 mag has been on there for over 20 years. The gun shoots like a dream, the scope is bright, clear and holds its zero. My muzzleloader is a knight Disc that I bought in 98 and it is one of the most accurate muzzle loaders that i Have ever seen. Same as the one on my rifle, the scope has been great and is an integral part of that accuracy. Leupold's have served me so well that I just put a VX-3 on my new X-bolt 300 WSM.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:41 PM   #11
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Leupold equals very good scopes!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot