The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2014, 01:32 AM   #26
oldreloader

I like Accurate powders, They meter extremely well,
Old May 18, 2014, 09:13 AM   #27
mnoirot64

I was able to purchase two pounds of No 5 yesterday at a local gun show. Only two vendors were selling powder and only one had any pistol powder - two jugs of No 7 and around ten of No 5. No 5 meters well and burns clean. While there is nothing wrong with No 5, it's not one of my favorites. My favorites are Power Pistol, Longshot, CFE Pistol and Unique. However, with the current shortage, beggars cannot be choosers. I'm glad to have found what I did!
Old May 18, 2014, 09:21 AM   #28
green_MTman

i am no expert on accurate powders but from what i do know there claim to fame is performance on heavy magnum rounds.i believe they still rule on velocity on the remington ultra mags but there performance on anything .300 win mag to .338-378 wby is exceptional.

for a .308 i used to get great accuracy and performance from hodgedons varget
Old May 18, 2014, 06:08 PM   #29
Real Gun

I have a pound each of AA2, 5, 7, 9 and 4100. I am planning to use #9 for 327 Federal Magnum as soon as one more part for the turret arrives on Tuesday. It was an easy decision because I didn't have many handy loads for the caliber. My Hornady 9th included XTP loads that I extrapolated to lead use. Also the #9 was one of two that was rated at a lead velocity, even then borderline. It also had the best case fill of those listed. This cartridge is tall and skinny, so viewing powder charges is not easy.
Old May 18, 2014, 07:02 PM   #30
Clark

My batch of AA#9 and Ramshot enforcer look the same, smell the same, the same density, and make the Tokarev primer pocket lose within .1 gr of each other. But now I look at the new Quickload library and they are they are different, more like 0.9 gr.

Must be like W296 and H110 always listed differently.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?

Last edited by Clark; May 18, 2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old May 19, 2014, 10:40 AM   #31
Real Gun

Enforcer and 4100 are both imported. I think those are the pairing rather than #9.
Old May 19, 2014, 02:17 PM   #32
coldbeer

The one problem I have with accurate powders is that I can never find any on the shelves. I've heard good things and I'd love to try some AA#9 for my 357's but I never see any Accurate powders in stores anymore.
Old May 19, 2014, 04:01 PM   #33
Machineguntony

This past weekend, I shot 3000 rounds of 223, i.e., 100 thirty round magazines. Came out to be about 10 pounds of AA2200, as each charge was about 21 grains. Rounds shot beautifully, not jams, no FTF or FTE, whatsoever. Zero malfunctions.

I'm loving AA powders.
Old May 20, 2014, 12:35 AM   #34
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I've heard good things and I'd love to try some AA#9 for my 357's
IMO, unless your 357 Mags have 6" or longer barrels, don't bother. I mean, AA9 is a perfectly fine powder, I'm sure. But it's just too slow for the application. I have some pretty stout rounds (and getting stouter, as it is still a work in progress) using AA7 under a 158g for my 4" bbl 357 - 1291 fps (so far). But even at that, it's somewhat of a flamethrower. AA9 can probably deliver a higher fps, but it would come at the expense of even more muzzle flash and recoil. It would not be well "balanced" for the more common barrel length guns. Got a lever action carbine? - then AA9 would be perfect.

Heck, I've worked up that same 158 XTP to 1149 fps through the same Smith 686 4" bbl using AA5. And it's quite the low-flash low-recoil round - very nice. 1149 will still make big holes. And BTW, my recipe isn't pushing it super hard. I don't hot-rod rounds and there's probably still some room to increase. But I'm satisfied with it as it is.

I didn't mean to go off on a tangent. The beauty of loading our own is we get to choose our recipes. But I think there is a common tendency to use powders slower than what is actually ideal for the application.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:39 AM   #35
coldbeer

My 686 has an 8 3/8" barrel and my GP100 has a six inch barrel. I like the long barrels with these models since they're too big and heavy for me to carry concealed even with a short barrel.
Old May 20, 2014, 06:31 PM   #36
Nick_C_S

Quote:
My 686 has an 8 3/8" barrel and my GP100 has a six inch barrel.
Nice choices.

I too, used to be fond of long barrels. But they have since fallen out of favor for me. I have a 686 with an 8-3/8" bbl too; and a 629 8-3/8 as well. Although they are mostly safe queens these days; when they do come out to play, they get fed a steady diet of ammo loaded with Winchester 296 (similar burn rate as AA9).