The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2014, 12:18 PM   #1
My Toy

Where has all the powder gone?

Seems like it is getting harder to find powder. Is this just my imagination or are other reloaders experiencing the same thing? If so does anybody have any reasons for this?
Old February 1, 2014, 12:55 PM   #2
msokad

It reminds me of the primer shortage of last year. I hear powder should be getting better by springtime.
Old February 1, 2014, 12:57 PM   #3
Mohave-Tec

Most of it is at my house I'm sure.
Old February 1, 2014, 01:02 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

No offense, but have you been under a rock? The current shortage has been happening for well over a year. If anything, it has improved markedly in the last couple of months. There are still shortages of powder and other components, to be sure, but it's nothing new and certainly not getting worse. It has been continuously under discussion on the forum for months and months.

We've had a thread on the subject stickied in the General Discussion forum since April of last year.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521685
Old February 1, 2014, 03:31 PM   #5
tangolima

Powder shortage is getting worse than before, especially pistol powders. Powder valley currently has 18 powders in stock. Most of them are ultra slow burners for big bores, and non for pistols.

I still have some reserve left. Given the crunch I have already started looking for resupplies.

-TL
Old February 1, 2014, 03:47 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see it getting any worse. Most places have barely been able to stock anything except magnum powders from at least a year.

Natchez has several in stock (including Accurate #9), PV has over a dozen (when I looked about a month ago they had 50BMG and a couple others only), MidWay has 4 or 5 medium rifle powders in stock. Midsouth has 19 in stock, many of them magnum but also Superformance, LeverEvolution, Norma 204, VVH N105 and others.

That's a much better supply than there was a few months ago when nobody had ANY except the uber-magnum.
Old February 1, 2014, 04:00 PM   #7
Beagle333

My LGS has some powder trickling in, a can or two of a few varieties per shipment. They get 4198, 4895, and PB pretty regularly. I haven't seen anything from Alliant or AA come in for quite a while.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old February 1, 2014, 04:14 PM   #8
tobnpr

Ask the guys that are STILL buying all they can, whenever and wherever they can find it, despite having hundreds of pounds of it stashed away.

This horse is long dead....
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old February 1, 2014, 04:28 PM   #9
Super Sneaky Steve

Quote:
Ask the guys that are STILL buying all they can, whenever and wherever they can find it, despite having hundreds of pounds of it stashed away.
Just think, when all those people get old and die you'll be able to buy a pound of Bullseye for $.50 at a garage sale

Till then, buy an airgun.
Old February 1, 2014, 05:10 PM   #10
Mohave-Tec

Which one of you guys would buy one of the only 2 pounds of TiteGroup on the shelf and leave the other bottle?
This is what happens to the powder.
Old February 1, 2014, 05:17 PM   #11
Mohave-Tec

Most of the guys who work at Bass Pro did so because they like guns. If they ran out of powder they sure as heck are going to be the first one in line to get theirs. They are going to put 5 pounds away for the rich guy who asked them to when offered twice the retail value if it supplements their $11.50 an hour income.
This is what happened to the powder.
Old February 1, 2014, 05:20 PM   #12
Old Stony

Just went to a gun show in Mesquite Texas today, and there was about any kind of powder you would want. The going prices were at $28.00 a lb.
Things have loosened up a lot, but the smaller shops seem to still be having some problems. A larger gun shop near me has large supplies....at a little higher prices.
Old February 1, 2014, 05:26 PM   #13
Mohave-Tec

If I have 400 308 cases, 2000 large rifle primers, a new 308 and haven't seen Varget in 6 months, I'm going to buy 6 or 8 bottles for me a the last 2 for my shooting buddy.
This is what happened to the powder.

If I became one of the 15% unemployed in this town in 2008 and was able to wait for the trucks at Sportsman's I'd buy all the all the 4198 I could muster and sell it to you guys for %30 more and send my kid with her band to Disney world.
That is what happened to the powder.

And yes, some of it is just plain greed. The world is that way.
Old February 1, 2014, 08:11 PM   #14
berettaprofessor

Quote:
Which one of you guys would buy one of the only 2 pounds of TiteGroup on the shelf and leave the other bottle?
This is what happens to the powder.
I actually did almost that today, just not with TiteGroup I've been looking everywhere for pistol powder as well and found Trail Boss at Cabelas (bought one bottle and left 15 on the shelf), and 700X at an LGS (bought one bottle and left 2). The LGS also had a few bottles of 800X and IMR 7625.

Not everyone is a thoughtless hoarder.
Old February 1, 2014, 08:36 PM   #15
Kansas Jack

i was in the Wichita cabelas store last week and they had two canisters of powder on four empty shelfs, the counter guy told me it goes out as fast as it comes in.i load six different pistol calibers and am really paying more then average retail for powder.its getting hard to find at a reasonable price here in north central Kansas.i did however pick up 200 38 spl. stainless steel cartridges for $ 20.00.
Old February 1, 2014, 08:38 PM   #16
Nick_C_S

It seemed like things were getting a little better with powder through the summer last year, than got worse again starting in the fall.

My LGS - which is fairly well connected (Sportmen's Warehouse), hasn't gotten jack-diddly for powders for the last 6 or 8 weeks. And even then, it's obscure rifle stuff. I don't load for 50BMG. I'm there every Thurs morning, standing in line with a hundred other guys.

I was one of those hoarder guys. But not any more. I just need a couple Lbs each of Bullseye and 231
Old February 1, 2014, 10:32 PM   #17
Mohave-Tec

I think I just got called a thoughtless hoarder but the fact is I came into this thing fully prepared. I was here in 2008 and things are no different today.
Last weekend I traded a guy on our local forums a pound of TiteGroup for a hand full of 178gr SMK. I don't shoot match 308 and I load all pistol with WAP.
But if I bought the last 2 bottles of TiteGroup on the shelf after a year of not having any I would be a "thoughtless hoarder." Hmmmmm
Old February 1, 2014, 10:37 PM   #18
chris in va

My LGS got a fair amount of IMR powders in...$5 mor a pound than last shipment.
Old February 1, 2014, 10:56 PM   #19
Jay24bal

I agree with the OP, around me in Northeast Ohio, the powder supply has dried up in the 4 or 5 places I normally check. When everyone else was having a hard time finding powders and primers, I was able to get most of what I wanted. Now, they may not have had every single choice in the world, but there was always a close substitute powder wise. But lately, powders are drying up, and I have noticed it more pronounced in pistol powders.

I am running low on Unique and Power Pistol, and have not seen any for several months around here despite it being plentiful during the height of the "craze." Now, it is my fault I am low since I passed it up a lot during the last 18 months, but I figured it would not be an issue since it was on the shelf during the height of the panic. Guess I was wrong...

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old February 1, 2014, 11:03 PM   #20
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Now, it is my fault I am low since I passed it up a lot
I know the feeling. About this time last year, I passed up W231. That was just before I realized we were entering this shortage "cycle" (one seriously long "cycle," I'd say at this point).

Haven't seen any since.
Old February 1, 2014, 11:08 PM   #21
skizzums

if there is 3 pounds of titegroup on the shelf, i usually just buy the two and leave some for the next lucky sob, but im a bleeding heart like that

my reload shop, georgia arms, has been out of pistol powder for about a month and a half now, i got lucky last week and picked up 2pds of h335(and left a pound)
Old February 2, 2014, 11:58 AM   #22
BOOMST1CK

I might not be able to find what I want in powder, but I usually can find stuff that works. Two places I check said they have not seen powder since October/November. Since all this crazyness started, i bet alot of people got into reloading for the first time. I wonder how many people got their first reloading press for Christmas, and that is why powder dropped off. I bet by spring we will be seeing more supply's. I hope anyway.
Old February 2, 2014, 12:29 PM   #23
salvadore

I was doing all my hoarding when it was still called stocking up. Since the second emaculation I have maybe bought two pounds of powder and coupla thousand primers. Every chance I get I buy rimfires because I shoot them a lot. The garage has hundreds of pounds of WWs and I cast for all my shooters except 9mm and 5.56. This is like people rushing out to buy $1,300 gold now but ignoring it a decade or so ago @ $260. Preparedness is next to Godliness.
Old February 2, 2014, 12:31 PM   #24
clemsonal

Gunbot.net gives up to date availability of all components. I picked up a 5# jug of Accurate 2 this week. Just check the site often, because when something is available, it goes quick!
Old February 2, 2014, 12:33 PM   #25
Strafer Gott

This keeps me hanging onto cartridges that can be loaded with black. Those replica Colts were made to facilitate cleanup. .44Colt, .45Colt, even .38 and .44 special will run on Pyrodex just peachy. So even though I don't have smokeless, I'm still not coming to a complete stop!