The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 20, 2012, 11:30 AM   #1
.50cal packer

container to soak m91/30 barrel

Hey guys, I had a question about what container is safe to soak my barrel in? I cant use my bathtub, so that isn't an option. I'd like to soak the entire barrel and receiver at once. Using mineral spirits as soaking material, (I have a bunch, that's why.) But didn't know of a container longer enough to soak it in. All advice is welcome. thanks.
Old December 20, 2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Yung.gunr

If you are just soaking, not using heat, you could get some PVC pipe and put a cap on one end.

Couldn't ya?..
Old December 20, 2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Pahoo

PVC Pipe, cut to size.

Quote:
I'd like to soak the entire barrel and receiver at once. Using mineral spirits as soaking material,
I have made a soaking tube or container, for my side-lock M/L's. The last one I made, was out of 2" PVC, cut to length. I glue a flat plug on one end and have a removable cap for the other. I plumb clamp this tube, in a verticle position, insert my barrel, breech down, fill the tube with mineral spirits to cover the muzzle end. Install cap and let it soak ....

Our M/L classes, last all day and normally shoot about 75 rounds. We usually use one sidelocks and keep an in-line, in reserve. When done, I give all a cursory was or wipe, with Ballistol. By the time I get back to my shop, I'm fairly tired and lazy. I just diassemble, drop the barrel in the tube, walk away and let it soak for about three days. As long a I keep my barrel, submerged, nothing will start to rust of corrode. .....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; December 20, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old December 20, 2012, 12:47 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

PVC
Old December 20, 2012, 01:17 PM   #5
.50cal packer

The PVC is a great idea. Will the cosmo just float to the top?
Old December 20, 2012, 01:32 PM   #6
Pahoo

Test a your sample !!

Quote:
Will the cosmo just float to the top?
I reuse the mineral spirits until it starts showing to much dirt. My experience is that most will sink. It's entirely possible that some of the cosmo will just get desolved. I use to work with fresh comoline and I know that it will desolve quite easily.....
Occasionally, while soaking, you might want to slosh it a little to loosen it up more.

I miight suggest that you take a small sample and drop it into a small container of mineral spirits. Please let us know how you make out. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old December 20, 2012, 10:03 PM   #7
MikeG

I've also heard of people using a section of rain gutter wit end caps.
Old December 21, 2012, 09:04 AM   #8
.50cal packer

Is there a time period I have to think about after removing it and then scrubbing the hell out of it, before it starts to rust? Once I feel it's clean, I'll put it back in the mineral spirits just to make sure. But rusting isnt an option. how long do i have to wipe it down with oil to make sure of this? Thanks again for all the help and suggestions guys...