The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2011, 01:15 PM   #26
mikld

I admit I just read a little and then skimmed the rest. IMHO the writer doesn't know much about reloading or firearms...
Old February 22, 2011, 01:23 PM   #27
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Did you guys read the credentials that the author is claiming?

http://firearmresource.com/?author=1

"Bill Kapeles is the editor and principal writer at The Firearm Resource. He brings 16 years of firearms related experience to his writing. He is a NRA certified handgun instructor, and a Rangemaster at Front Sight Firearms Training Institute."

I have sent a PDF copy of this article to Front Sight along with my opinion of a business associating with a person who would post this nonsense under the guise of being an expert.
Old February 22, 2011, 01:29 PM   #28
LarryFlew

DON'T DO THAT. I went to the article without any boots on and got my feet full of BS
Old February 22, 2011, 01:31 PM   #29
larryf1952

What a load of crap. 16 years of firearms experience? Wow, I'm impressed. The "points" that he makes in his article are almost so ludicrous as to be laughable.

I've been reloading since 1976, and I've had ONE squib. Period. Everything else performed as expected.
Old February 22, 2011, 01:33 PM   #30
mehavey

The one thing I would suggest he has a point on is to use commercial ammunition when carrying -- not because handloads aren't as reliable/effective. . . .

But just so some ADA wanting to make liberal political hay can't use your personal choice/design/production of human-being-killing-products to get leverage with an equally gun-ignorant jury. (In fact I will gurantee you that ADA will use every challenge s/he has to exclude jury members with weapons experience and/or victim of crime wherein fear of life & limb is imprinted.
Old February 22, 2011, 01:38 PM   #31
Dr. Strangelove

10 minutes to set up a tumbler? What?

Unscrew lid holder down thingee, remove lid. Pour in dirty brass, replace lid, screw down lid holder down thingee. Plug in tumbler. Done, in all of a minute, if I'm moving slow.
Old February 22, 2011, 01:40 PM   #32
Rangefinder

I'd be curious to read some of the other comments--I sure left mine to be moderated right out of existence. I love it when some idiot forms an opinion on something and then declares themselves an expert on the matter based on their misguided opinion... 16 years of firearms experience... Whoa, I'm thinking 3/4 of the members of this forum out-rank him on that little number. My 20+years on the subject only scratches the surface when compared to some here--but it speaks volumes against this idiot.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old February 22, 2011, 02:19 PM   #33
Edward429451

I bet he blew up one of his guns before and considers himself a master, so took it upon himself to spout this tripe. Helps to keep himself convinced ya know. The clues are all there. Most propaganda and lies have a small nexus to the truth.

Perhaps this guy blew up his gun with a max load thrown from a measure, and pulling rounds to check weight he found it to be .2 gr heavy?

I would expect our GVMT to come out with something like this to sway opinion, but not gun people. There has to be more to it.
Old February 22, 2011, 02:41 PM   #34
flyboyjake

ah malarkey!

While I dont save much money reloading (I have purchased every little trinket and gadget for this hobby), im not a fool, and can do my own math. You can save a ton reloading, and the break even is only a couple thousand units normally. The bullets he chose to use for reloading were different than the factory bullets he chose...big disparity in price there...now use lead bullet prices...

Also, I could understand his cost benefit analysis if the reloader had the option to either A. go to work and make his standard wage, or B. Reload bullets at home. Just because you make $25/hr at work, doesnt make you worth $25/hr 24hrs a day... if that were the case, id never cook! I could spend $20 for a burger at a local restaurant, and evidently id be money in the bank over grilling out for an hour.
Old February 22, 2011, 02:52 PM   #35
maillemaker

If I charge money for my time, well then, sure, the ammo isn't so cheap anymore.

But my time is free for my hobbies.

And what I know is this. A box of 50 .45 ACP Whitebox Winchester is $25. That's $.46 a round. When I reload using purchased bullets, my cost goes down to $.18 a round. When I reload using wheel-weight cast bullets, my cost goes down to $.08 a round.

So I can save $16 to $21 per 50-round box of ammo.

When I go shooting, I usually shoot 4 boxes of ammo.

So now I can go to the range for $16 in ammo, instead of $100 in ammo. I save $84 each time I go to the range.

To me, this is a big, big deal. Last Christmas was the first time I had gone shooting in a year. The reason? Cost. I get $100 a month of "fun money". To go to the range would have cost me my entire month's spending money, and I didn't want to do that, so I did not go shooting for a whole year.

I finally broke out the reloader that my Dad had bought me 10 years ago for Christmas that I never took out of the box. Now I've been to the range 3 times since Christmas.

I am sold.

Not to mention, it's fun.

Steve
Old February 22, 2011, 03:04 PM   #36
Doodlebugger45

Where do I sign up to make $25/hr to drink beer and watch reruns of NCIS?? Those are a couple things I would do if I weren't reloading.

I agree with all the comments calling BS above, but that's no surprise given the forum we are reading right now.

I will say though, that reloading isn't for everyone. Lately there have been a lot of newcomers to this hobby and some of them don't have the right mental frame. There are a disturbing number of yahoos who are more interested in how cheap and how fast they will get things reloaded rather than in the intrinsic enjoyment they will get out of this hobby. Those are the folks that might get hurt if they don't slow down and learn a few things first.

After reading the article, I guess I just have to wonder exactly what this guy's angle is? The wohole point of view seems rather suspicious to me.
Old February 22, 2011, 03:23 PM   #37
Mike Irwin
Staff

You know, I've been thinking about starting my own blog.

This might be a good subject for a first rant.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 22, 2011, 03:32 PM   #38
Edward429451

Quote:
$25/hr at work, doesnt make you worth $25/hr 24hrs a day
Correct. After 5, it would jump to $37.50 and weekends are $50, an hour though.
Old February 22, 2011, 03:58 PM   #39
flyboyjake

Quote:
Correct. After 5, it would jump to $37.50 and weekends are $50, an hour though
Then by my math, you are making $2,000 per week, and working 24/7. If that is the case, then you should buy factory ammo. Reloading might not be up your alley
Old February 22, 2011, 04:15 PM   #40
Elkshed

Quote: Bill Kapeles is the editor and principal writer at The Firearm Resource. He brings 16 years of firearms related experience to his writing. He is a NRA certified handgun instructor, and a Rangemaster at Front Sight Firearms Training Institute.Unquote.

This guy isn't worthy to be any kind of instructor let alone a rangemaster. I wouldn't trust his judgment.

He is good a one thing, riling people up with the inane.
Old February 22, 2011, 04:45 PM   #41
FlyFish

Quote:
He brings 16 years of firearms related experience to his writing.
More like 1 year of experience 16 times, if that. Over the years I've gotten used to reading utter and complete BS in the shooting mags, but this guy has established a new low. I think I could pick people at random off a city sidewalk and get better information about reloading.
Old February 22, 2011, 04:50 PM   #42
Eagle0711

I wonder if he's thought about stand-up comedy?

Maybe he could get this on MSNBC.

This clown is about as accurate as a wooden watch.
Old February 22, 2011, 04:55 PM   #43
spacecoast

It just goes to show that you don't have to be an expert to start a web site.
Old February 22, 2011, 05:21 PM   #44
TimT

Uh, yeah...

Looks like this guy doesn't really have any clue about what he is speaking of. On the upside, he has outed himself as being clueless, which may come to my benefit in the future.
Old February 22, 2011, 05:36 PM   #45
Mike Irwin
Staff

I just tagged it to my facebook page. Some of my friends are handloaders/shooters/hunters. They'll get a kick out of it, too.

Old February 23, 2011, 12:15 AM   #46
ipscchef

What the heck is this??

What exactly is this?
To me, this is an anti-gunner posing as someone who he is not.
As all of you who have posted here have stated, this is just a pile of BS.
I started handloading in 1976, and none of what this person has stated is true in any way, shape, or form.
I am very suspicious of him and his forum.
I am proud to say that even after all these years I still am not an "expert" on handloading, but I am very safe and cautious about my handloading.
.2gr. diff can blow up your gun? Puleeze!
The only thing I will say is that I do not spend less money on ammo, but I get to shoot a lot more with the same amount of $
This is a person that we need to keep an eye on, IMO.
Mike Irwin, I think it would be great if you started your own forum!! I will be one of the first ones on it!!
BTW, I see where you can make a comment, but I do not see anywhere to read them, of course I am a computer dummy, so it just may be me.
Willy
Old February 23, 2011, 12:56 AM   #47
ipscchef

I just left a message

I just left a message on that site which I am pretty sure will not get posted.
I do tend to get carried away once in a while, and I might have gotten just a wee bit umm.. 'creative' with my verbage. But as I will most likely not be a regular on that site, oh well.
All I can say about that article is, something smells about what he wrote.
JMHO and as always YMMV
Willy
P.S. To ChasePrunninger,
IMO, do not believe one word of what that person writes. If you want to know anything about handloading, or anything else related to firearms, listen to what the people on THIS FORUM SAY. You will get the real info from the guys here, good, bad, or otherwise. the posters on TFL may differ on some opinions, but you will not find more knowlegable, honest people anywhere. That IS a fact.
Willy

Last edited by ipscchef; February 23, 2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old February 23, 2011, 01:19 AM   #48
hickstick_10

Hes right about not saving money.

I haven't saved a red cent more since getting into reloading, always trying new power, new presses, now bullet casting is coming up. :barf:

Its by far more expensive to reload.
Old February 23, 2011, 02:40 AM   #49
PIGMAN

It takes a long time to reload a box of straight case pistol rounds using a single stage press ,so for this reason I like a turret press for reloading handgun ammo because its fast.
Old February 23, 2011, 03:05 AM   #50
Mike Irwin
Staff

Well, he's posted "justifications" for his assertions.

This guy is a real piece of work.