The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2009, 12:59 PM   #51
Storm52

I've been reloading for years but not for quantity. I've had a Weatherby 270 magnum since 1968. Ammunition was hard to find in my area and what was available didn't provide the best results in my rifle. I found a favorite load for my particular use and have stuck with it, reloading 20 rounds a year.
I got into reloading for 45 acp in 1987 and eventually added 38/357. I don't publish my loading data online as every handgun and rifle is unique as well as the methods used by the individual handloader. If someone asks for a particular recommendation for powder, brass, primer and OAL, I will respond.
Old May 3, 2009, 01:03 PM   #52
czfonz

I just started reloading not too long ago. Its nice to have so many people with the great knowledge and experience that I can soak up and steal! For the most part people on this forum have a good attitude. If you ask a stupid question its expected to see a stupid response but you have to have a sense of humor.
Old May 3, 2009, 01:19 PM   #53
freakshow10mm

I've been loading for almost 4 years now. Been loading commercially for almost 2 years. Last year I loaded and sold over 300,000 rounds.
Old May 3, 2009, 02:07 PM   #54
smoakingun

grandad bought me a lee reloading kit in 1990 when I was 17 so I could load for my then newly aquired remington 788 in .308. I spent almost a year working up loads to dial in that rifle for the next hunting season, since then I have added 7 more rifle calibers, and each one is still a work in progress in a never-ending quest for the perfect load
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old May 3, 2009, 02:54 PM   #55
Peter M. Eick

I started in 1976 but really got rolling in 77/78. I know that in 78 I was loading for 38 special, 30/30, 220 swift and 357 magnum. Since I started keep detailed records (1990) I have loaded 217,039 rounds. By far the most common round fired is 38 special with 59,460 rounds fired and 10mm 65,003 rounds.

While I consider myself to be experienced, I am learning new things and new concepts every day. I rarely sit down at the press without some experiment in mind or some test to be run. I rarely just crank rounds to make ammo. I think that is the key to experience, you need to test, document and test again.
Old May 3, 2009, 03:11 PM   #56
Cult .44

Let's see. According to my load book, I hand loaded my first live rounds Feb. 14, 2009. I've loaded a total of 833 rounds, all .44 mag.
Old May 3, 2009, 03:57 PM   #57
HiBC

Started in 68.I was a junior in high school.

Didn't have a dad or uncle around to show me,but my oldest brother(who was in VN,anSF medic in an "A" camp on top of a hill),was a long time NRA member,and kept all of his American Riflemans.He also bought Gun Digest,Field and Stream,G+A,Sports afield,etc,etc.And,there were books,too.
About a half pickup load.I read,reread,and digested it all.

As a teenage kid,I hung around gunshops.I kept my eyes and ears open and my moth shut,except to ask considered and respectful questions.I kept my hands clasped behind my back and would not consider touching anything without asking first.

In time,an old No Colo gunsmith named Claude took a shine to me,and would take me down to the White Spot for a 7-up now and then.And,old Lois was another gentleman gunsmith,shop owner who would give me a lime Duffy's and sell me Hogdon powder for $1.60 a lb.Heck,I keep an old orange and yellow Hogdon can I bought from him for $1.25.

I still have some old,plain brown cardboard boxes of bullets I bought from Claude Norma 156 gr 7mm bullets ,nice boattails with a lot of lead showing,and some Norma 93 gr .30 luger bullets,that,with a generous load of 2400 would bust a jackrabbit quite well out of my M-1 Carbine.

A couple of adult shooters who would drive me places had me loading for them,and they both were getting sub MOA groups with my ammo.

That was 40 years ago.

Late 70's,I discovered the .44 mag,and I learned some about loading for wheelguns.Wheelweights,melting,casting,etc.We were going through about 100 lbs a month.
I've sat with Elmer Keith in his trophy room in Salmon Idaho,had coffee,and left with some of his paper patches and an idea of how to cut and roll them,but never did.I made templates out of O-1 tool steel.hardened them,and gave them to the gentleman who owned Cache la Poudre Rifleworks.

Yes!! I have done some dumb things along the way.But I never blew anything up because I understood the backup,redundant safety plan.

Here is my philosophy on answering questions.

I accept that everyone starts somewhere.So did I.

I try to give a good faith,honest answer.The question often reveals some clues about the experience level and approach of the OP.

There are those who just don't quite understand how something works,and need a bit of technical help.

There are those who want to avoid re-inventing the wheel,"What is the better powder for....

And,there are those who are hoping enough people will bless and give permission to do something standard reloading practice advises against.(Can I substitute rifle and pistol primers?)

When I think the OP is looking for a facefull of hot gas,I speak up.The rest of the time,I try to share understanding.

Feel free to disagree.Is there a problem?
Old May 3, 2009, 08:13 PM   #58
James R. Burke

I have not been a member very long. I have seen a few kind of smart replys but nothing to bad. It's a big forum so I am sure I am not seeing everything. I believe the questions I asked all got great answers, and some I asked were basic stuff, but I always was treated with respect and given plently of answers. I think this is a great forum with some really nice people thats why I belong to it. If you have a certain problem with someone I believe in going straight to the source, and iron it out. I am sure the staff also would be a great help to you. I would also like to say I think they do a really good job with this forum, there is alot of stuff for them to track, and keep straight.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:27 PM   #59
Don P

Just about a year now with 10,275 rounds loaded. I will add great therapy for the stiffness in my hands due to the big A.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:30 PM   #60
ir3e971

I have been reloading since early 2006. This includes both pistols and rifles. In total I think I reload for approximately 12 calibers. Currently use a single stage RCBS for rifle and a Lyman T-Mag 2 turret for pistol.

A lot of the mistakes and questions I see people discussing are the same issues I had when I started.

I used a combination of this and another forum, and numerous calls to my dad who has reloaded for forever. I don't recall getting any rude responses, in fact most folks have been very helpful.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:49 PM   #61
Solvo Pium

Location: Where it is normally warm and hot 9 months out of the year.
Don't let it get under your skin.

Hey Dan, I just started reloading, and I mean just started. I asked a simple question the other day , and some goofball pounced on me. But everyone else that read my thread pretty much in a respectful way tore this guy a new one. So I wouldn't let it get uner your skin. I have gotten alot of good info pertaining to reloading and weapon questions. Hang in there. This reloading is addictive and alot of fun, just think of it as a Giant Science Project. Enjoy!!
Old May 3, 2009, 08:56 PM   #62
A/C Guy

Started with the Lee hand loader for my shotgun in 1975. Started reloading rifle and pistol ammo in 1986. Cast my own bullets for a few years.
Old May 3, 2009, 09:03 PM   #63
Colorado Redneck

It is easy for a poster that is protected by the internet to act like a badass. And you have to accept that, and just learn to ignore that kind of post. Sometimes they seem to be looking for an argument. Best thing is to act like they don't even exist.

The answers in this forum are usually spot on. I haven't posted much, but read the forum a lot, and glean lots of good stuff.

I started 6 years ago with an old RCBS rock chucker that belonged to my wife's grampa, and he probably loaded for 20 years with it. I still use his 22-250 dies, and they work great.

My advice is this: If you have any doubts about what you are doing, get on this forum and ask. And if some badass wannabe gets on you, just consider the source and take a 100% discount on it.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:01 PM   #64
flyboy14

Started in 92, when my uncle gave me a pacific 105 shotshell reloader. Got into rifle loading in 00 when my father in law gave me a single stage pacific press, and all of his accy. After asking both of them, it turns out they were
both purchased the same year. 1976. Funny thing, I was born in 76. Even if I do upgrade to bigger better equipment, I'll always want to load on these.

I always keep in mind when either reading, or responding to any questions, or opinions on this forum that as shooters, and reloaders, we need to encourage people to ask questions, and share their knowledge. When it comes to shooting, hunting, and reloading, the more people interested the better.

Egos, and the internet seem to go hand-in-hand, so it will happen, I just take it with a grain of salt. I have learned alot on this forum, and appreciate the experience of everyone here. I remember the day I got my pilots licence, the DE told me you have a licence to learn. The same goes with anything else in life, you will learn more from your own mistakes, than any teacher can ever hope to ingrain in your small and short memory. I tell all of my students the same thing. All you can do is try to share your own mistakes (shrouded in the mystery of someone else did this) and try to give good advice. Those who ignore caution, and take their own path, will either get lucky, and learn, or go the way of the dodo. There are old pilots, but, there are no old, bold pilots. flyboy
Old May 3, 2009, 10:10 PM   #65
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
I remember the day I got my pilots licence, the DE told me you have a licence to learn.
My DME told me the same thing when he handed me my A&P license. Boy, was he ever right...

My experience? Enough to know a thing or two, not enough to ignore even the most basic advice.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 3, 2009, 10:49 PM   #66
Archie

Loading since 1970...

With a Lee hammer powered loader. I still have the hammer. Still use it.

I load metallics. Rifle, pistol, black powder cartridge. I have done some shotgun loading, but very little and only for Cowboy shoots. I really don't know a lot about shotshell loading.

No idea how many rounds I've loaded and shot. I've shot several different types of competition and loaded for all of them.

I am fascinated by interior ballistics and have made an active study of the subject since about 1971 or so. I'm still learning, as should all.

I've never blown up a gun or myself. I have pushed the envelope a couple times, mostly by misadventure and 'it seemed a good idea at the time'. I have a couple rifle cases with very loose primer pockets to remind me about caution.

When I say or write something, I may not be the ultimate authority, but I can explain my thinking and the basis for my statement or claim. If we discuss it, we will figure it out to everyone's best interest.

Hopefully going to retire within the next year. I plan on doing some more research and writing on the subject.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old May 3, 2009, 11:07 PM   #67
plainsman456

Started in 1978 and still learning.Good Luck
Old May 3, 2009, 11:25 PM   #68
Tbone45

I wasn't going to post since I'm really new here but I decided to anyway.
In 1965 my brother got out of the Marines and drove home with a trunk full of ammo. Belts of 30.06 blanks, boxes of .30 carbine, brass hulled 00 buckshot shells and a lot of 30.06 FMJ. We were big duck hunters and he bought a Lyman (I think) shotshell reloader. We shot a lot of the brass 00 and refilled with #6 shot with an overshot wad and we roll crimped the brass and killed ducks with it. We used these brass shells until they started to break at the roll crimp. Then we switched to plastic.
He unloaded a bunch of the 30.06 by pulling the bullets and kept the powder. I can't remember if he used the powder for anything or not.
When I got out of the Marines in 1977, I bought a MEC 600 Jr. shotshell loader. I bought an adjustable powder/shot charge bar and loaded 2 3/4 Win. AA hulls with 39.5 gr. of 571 under a Win. WWAA12R red wad pushing 1 1/4 oz. of # 2's for geese, 5's for ducks and 9's for doves, woodcock and snipe. I don't recommend this load to anyone. My buddy and I shot over/unders and it broke the firing pin on our friends Rem. 1100. It did kill a lot of speckled bellies and ducks, though. Kicked like a mule, too.
I bought a Lee loader for .270 in 1984 and have used it up until now. I load a minimum load of 4350 behind a Speer 130 gr. BTSP. I can shoot my .270 with one hand and it has killed every deer I've shot at. The damage on lung shots is impressive. The longest and only long shot was 150 yds. Most were 40 yds. or less. I tend to hunt deer with a rifle like I'm hunting with a bow. I've killed more than one at the base of my stand with a neck shot. No need for punishing velocities on whitetails. The biggest animal I killed with this load was a pig that I could't move after it died. I didn't bother. I could smell it from where I shot it about 30 yds. away. I've killed a few other pigs that tasted real good.
I'm about to dive into press reloading. That's why I've been reading all of your posts.
Old May 4, 2009, 12:12 AM   #69
snuffy

Lets see----- my first loading was done on my brothers kitchen table with a hammer type lee loader for my M-98 mauser. That was 1963. I hunted for 2 years with those shells. Then upon returning form a tour in the AF, 1969, I started loading shotgun shells for hunting. Plastic wads and shells were just coming out then. 1972 I bought a used RCBS RC from a dumbo at work going through a divorce. I did him a favor, I pulled all his shells apart, there were some that had half charges in them, others apparently full of pistol powder,(30-06).

Oh, to have had a resource like this when I started. You kids now days don't know how good you've got it!

As far as the occasional barb that some throw out there, get over it! I hate the PC crowd that thinks everybody should be wearing flowers! I quit posting on THR because of the over moderating that goes on there.

What bothers me is people that post internet myths and old wives tales. I overlook most of them, but if it could cause problems/ get someone hurt, I'll post a rebuttal to keep newbies from taking it as gospel. I've learned to wait a couple hours if something makes me angry. Even then I may delete my post or I'll offend someone.

Another pet peeve is a question like; my rifle won't shoot accurately, what's wrong? Vague questions like that are impossible to answer,(without writing a book, to include every possible reason). OR my reload won't shoot good groups! What's wrong? No caliber, rifle type, bullet, powder,,,etc. There should be a sticky on how to properly ask a question. If you're looking for a specific answer, you HAVE to provide specific questions.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 4, 2009, 01:09 AM   #70
Crankylove

Started loading with my Dad and Granpa when I was 6-8, been loading on my own for about 12 years now.
Old May 4, 2009, 05:50 AM   #71
darkgael

Experience

Dan: Your question has produced an interesting set of responses.
For the record, I've read all of these posts and have not seen anyone who was overly critical or rude in response.
One of the dangers of communicating by text is the lack of "other" elements in communication - without these (tone of voice, body language, etc.) it is not easy to get an accurate sense of someone's attitude, short of them calling names or being verbally abusive in other ways.
I've been reloading for about twenty years, started late. Started with a Lee Loader in .30-06. Enjoyed that. Got a Lee hand press and added .45 ACP.
Now I handload every thing that I shoot and I shoot a lot of calibers - "playing" with this is a fine hobby. I load pistol calibers from .25 ACP up to .500 S&W (no .41 magnum) and rifle calibers from .223 up to .416. Must be close to thirty cartridges in all. Shotgun gauges 12/20/.410 (I know, not a gauge). Plus BP muzzleloading, rifle, pistol, shotgun, flint and percussion.
I find that there is always something new to learn; that's why I'm here.

Pet peeves for which I may have little patience - threads that have questions that ask for "the best" of something. Absolutely unanswerable.
Posters who have obviously not read through a thread and repeat previously stated info as if it were new.
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; May 4, 2009 at 05:57 AM.
Old May 4, 2009, 06:02 AM   #72
WESHOOT2

all full of poop

As I reread this thread I noticed some 'question' others.

I offer this: If one wishes to test my veracity, I invite them to my home, home on my range, where we together may actually test whatever the 'question' was......

Just e-mail me first so I can confirm my availability: [email protected]

Then there ain't no poop, ay?.
Old May 4, 2009, 09:05 AM   #73
oneounceload

Started in 1980 with a RCBS Jr. press - still use it for all my metallic; use MEC jr.s for my shotguns......all still work just fine
Old May 4, 2009, 12:06 PM   #74
Magnum Wheel Man

I reloaded for about 2-3 years reloading with my father in law as my mentor & loading for 4-5 cartridges, then after my father in law died 14-15 years ago, I reloaded for about 2 more years, added 3-4 more cartridges... ( we inherited his pretty extensive collection, & all the loading stuff )... I had to pull my bench down during remodeling, & it didn't get put up for many years... I begain reloading again last year... pretty hot & heavy, since I'd shot up most everything I had over the years... I now reload for probably pretty close to 50 Calibers... I just added 17 K Hornet last year, & up through 50-70 Gov.... I'm just setting up to go up to 577 Snider right now...

my father in law ( & me in his footsteps ) collected Contenders, so there are lots of unique cartridges that are reload only... & even though I still have several semi autos in both rifle & handgun, I mostly shoot single shots, bolt actions, & revolvers, because I'm too "old" to be crawling around picking up reloadable brass... I find my 10-22 & my SKS ( with steel cased ammo )are my most used semi autos any more...

I do all my reloading off of 2 single stage presses, one Rock Chucker, & one RCBS Junior... I have 2 different shot shell loaders, but I never got exposed to loading shot shells... I also helped my father in law cast ingots of lead ( I mostly did the carrying ), so I have quite a few bullet molds & a "lifetime" supply of lead... but I have no expirience with the lubrisizer... yet... I have a good buddy that was also my father in laws buddy, that has been mentoring me in gunsmithing, & any reloading questions I might have & he's a retired tool & die guy, & casts all his own bullets, often making his own molds... so I hope he hangs around long enough for me to gleen as much info as I can from him...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; May 4, 2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old May 4, 2009, 12:37 PM   #75
onthejon55

I just started this year with .30-06 and havent progressed to the point where im working up an accurate load for it. I plan on reloading .223 as soon is i can find the dies