The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 25, 2006, 03:41 AM   #1
nkielborn

Turkey Hunting question

My shotgun holds either 2 3/4 or 3 in shells which would you recommend? Magnum or not? steel vs lead? whats yalls opinions. thanks for the help.
Old November 25, 2006, 08:32 AM   #2
Delynn

Shoot the one that patterns well

Turkeys are not the tough guys that they are made out to be, if you shoot them right. Get a load that patterns well and only shoot them when they are in range. Either will work just fine. I have a friend who has a 3 1/2 in 12 gauge and he only shoots 2 3/4 shells through it. The recoil is less and he kills as many turkeys as anyone I know (Besides me) LOL just a joke. I like shot sizes 5's, or 6's. Some of my friends are now shooting 20 gauges. You have to learn the range of your gun. Many people make the mistake of shooting to far. Don't let bragging stories talk you into taking 60 yard shoots. Let people tell there stories and then shoot your bird at 20 yards and go home with your turkey. People who preform don't have to brag. Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help with anything.
Old November 25, 2006, 08:58 AM   #3
Delynn

One more thing. I do like the copper coated lead shot. They pattern very well in my gun.
Old November 25, 2006, 10:38 AM   #4
mete

Far more important is the pattern. You should in any case , always pattern your loads.In NY we must use # 4,5,or 6 shot .Lead is fine .A turkey choke [extra full ] should be used . Hardened , plated or buffered shot will give a more uniform tighter pattern. You are dealing with head shots of course so some type of sights [rifle type] or scope should be used.
Old November 27, 2006, 11:28 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

Yes, choke selection to get a tight and accurate pattern is more important that load weight. Use an extra-full or ultra-full choke if possible. All things being equal, however, I'd prefer a 3" shell with the heavier shot payload. But a 2.75" that patterns good and tight will beat a 3" shell that doesn't.

And lead, definitely. Not steel.
Old November 28, 2006, 04:12 PM   #6
Capp35

I use Winchester's 3" magnum #4 "Turkey Load" with full choke.
It uses copper plated lead. Seems to pattern real well and the lead does not deform.
Old November 28, 2006, 08:28 PM   #7
Twycross

As mentioned, pattern several different loads and find what your barrel likes best. Steel shot is only for waterfowl, use lead on turkeys. I've been shooting Winchester XX Magnum 3" 2oz #5. YMMV.