The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Closed Thread

Old December 19, 2005, 10:45 PM   #1
Doug.38PR

Is there a way to make a semi Auto Thompson into a full automatic?

A local gun store I go to sells Semi-Automatic guns that are based on fully automatic submachine guns (Uzzies, Tommy Guns, etc.). My question is, that if I buy a Tommy Gun in Semi-Auto form, is there a way with ease and won't devalue the gun or damage it that I can make it a fully automatic if it should ever be once again legal to own guns (especially machine guns) without state or federal interferance or if there should be a big riot in the city or if my state or even America should be invaded by....Mexico or China....or the Klingons or Cardassians or Martians .
The idea is to get a cool submachine gun for fun at the range while potentially having an effective "chopper" if the need ever arised.
Old December 19, 2005, 11:26 PM   #2
guy sajer

You would be comitting a felony punishable by a maximum of 10yrs in the pen and $10k fine .

Originals run $15k - $30k average .

Please support Crimson Trace Grips , Mossberg and Beretta . They support our troops .
Old December 19, 2005, 11:40 PM   #3
doubleaes2

From what I understand, the internals are totally different between the FA and SA versions.
Old December 20, 2005, 01:07 AM   #4
BillCA

+1 on the different internals. I've not compared them, but what I hear is that the receivers of the SA versions would need a heap o' machining first.

Oh... by the way Doug38... you left out the Mimbari.
Old December 20, 2005, 03:00 AM   #5
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

CAN it be done? Sure.

With something like the same amount of modification it would take to turn the rear end of a '67 Caddie into a machine gun.

Short answer is, "Nope." And even if it could, not legally. And certainly not without changing it past worthlessness for resale.

CLOSED.
Closed Thread