The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 27, 2011, 09:04 AM   #1
jolly roger

Mauser 1910-14

Looking over this little Mauser 1910-14 right now. Seller wants $350. Sound good? Have no clue about a Mauser 1910-14 value... Thought some of you guys might. Thanks for input. Looks to be in pretty good shape. Photos attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2054.jpg (145.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2055.jpg (131.5 KB, 65 views)
Old October 27, 2011, 03:37 PM   #2
carguychris

I am no great expert on these pistols, but that value is ~30%-40% higher than what I've seen for .25ACP (6.35mm) examples in roughly equivalent condition.

I've spoken to a fellow at a LGS who's quite knowledgeable about older European autos. He told me that Mauser 1910s don't usually fetch more than ~$300 unless they (a) have military proofs, (b) are one of the relatively rare early models, and/or (c) have 90%+ finish. This pistol looks like none of the above to me. These guns generally seem to have thin and fragile bluing, so examples with more than ~80% are rare; most guns that have been carried and/or stored carelessly have no more than 70% finish, like this one.
Old October 27, 2011, 04:33 PM   #3
Winchester_73

Quote:
Looking over this little Mauser 1910-14 right now. Seller wants $350. Sound good? Have no clue about a Mauser 1910-14 value... Thought some of you guys might. Thanks for input. Looks to be in pretty good shape. Photos attached.
I agree with what Carguy said but I want to add something - even if the seller came down to $300 or $250 VERIFY that the gun is matching first. The gun should at least have the SN on the slide, frame, barrel and side plate (on left with the MAUSER banner). IF its mismatched, I'd pass on it even as a shooter because these Mauser autos are not rare.

Also, the "GERMANY" mark denotes a gun made for the US market. US commercial Mausers are probably one of the least sought after subvariations of these Mauser pistols. In my experience, for plain jane or all else being equal Mausers, the 1934 models seem to be most sought after followed by the HSc's IMO.

Even if all matching, the gun is a little high at $350, $250 to $300 is fair. Check out gunbroker's prices and compare. With the current economy and today's technology there is zero reason to over pay - the deals are to be had and found.
Old October 27, 2011, 06:22 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

It depends on how much you want that gun. If its purchase is basically a whim, I would pass or at least try to negotiate the price down. The guns are not uncommon, but they don't turn up at stores very often and buying one "on the net" is taking a risk and involving a local dealer anyway to take delivery. (A dealer probably will not be happy to be asked to take delivery of a gun when he has one like it in the case, but that is another problem.)

Jim