The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 30, 2019, 11:04 AM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

Looking for a Youtube Video on chain fire

Where the guy has a blowtorch and is waving the torch flame over the cylinder to prove that chain fires are from loose percussion caps (like Elmer Keith said) and not from the flash jumping from one cylinder to another. Remember, an oversized ball shaves a ring which tells the user that the cylinder is sealed.

Anyway, I couldn't find it but I did find some guy who shot his cold underwater. This is one of those, "Don't try this at home kids."

https://youtu.be/NEGdt9KXcbI
Old December 30, 2019, 08:08 PM   #2
44 Dave

One thing not mentioned is the nipple it's self, some factory and others that are burned out have quite large flash holes that let powder and flame to mix.
My answer to "no worries"is paper cartridges.
Old December 30, 2019, 08:12 PM   #3
Hawg

I know you're tired of hearing it but I've got one that shaves a good ring and will chain every time if you don't use wads or lube. You can't make it chain from the nipples even if you just use one cap at a time.
Old December 30, 2019, 09:05 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Hawg - that sounds like it has YouTube potential. Make a rest.
Old December 30, 2019, 10:36 PM   #5
Hellgate

I'm with Hawg. A shaved ring just means the very edge of the chamber shaves lead but it could have an overhang that has a wider chamber wall just under the edge that allows flame around the ball causing a chainfire. I have never had a chain fire but have had several guns that had "ball creep" (not a venereal disease) which means the shaved ball would migrate forward under recoil and jam the cylinder. If the ball can slide forward it is not well sealed. I ALWAYS either use a wad or a bead of lube around the edge of the ball to prevent chain fires. Flame can bypass balls that are undersized or with wrinkles (I'm talking LEAD not your own. If you have undersized balls or ones with wrinkles, see your urologist or learn how to cast properly). A slight beveling of the chamber mouths should insure better contact of the ball with the chamber wall and remove the overhang.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old December 30, 2019, 11:39 PM   #6
rodwhaincamo

“ I have never had a chain fire but have had several guns that had "ball creep" (not a venereal disease)...”

Where’s the like button when you actually need it?!?!

I’ve never had a chain fire but my father did once and he used wads.
Old January 21, 2020, 03:37 AM   #7
trapper.44shooter

Question

Fellas I am a new greenhorn in the cap & ball thing I am doing all of my research &I have a 50 CVA Optima V2 LR 28" Nitride & it is my favorite rifle but I haven't ever used a cap & ball revolver so I MUST learn I am looking at the Pietta 1858 Buffalo/Bison 12" Brass frame RGC44 is the model can any if ya tell be are they fairly well made anything you can tell me would be a awesome help to me
Old January 21, 2020, 01:34 PM   #8
Hawg

They're well made but that brass won't hold up to full loads. Save your pennies and get a steel fame.