The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old September 22, 2019, 03:04 PM   #1
PJHeck

General recreational shooting picts, couple years

Some of these are old hat......We have a handy 100 acres in Se Ohio, more than a few suitable places to unload including a bigger pond to the west....brightly painted short sections of 4x4 are neat water targets. I fenced out a long narrow section of pasture on the east, built a wheeled shooting table, put a garden in the other end of the area. We like casual targets; golf balls, spray paint cans, gallon cans, up to home AC canisters. Shorter ranges allow more target action, and Donna has some vision loss. Cant use scopes or red dots. While she really likes a .22 pump, she makes more hits w/bipod mounted MGs.

Lets see what pictures of our home range I can come up with.

PJH (well that didnt work, I tried to add 4 pictures via manage attachments, didnt happen.)

Donna w/Vickers.....this year.....found several tins of belted 1964 .303.

Earlier BRP/Stemple in 9mm, kinda the best all-around we have.
Old October 10, 2019, 11:02 PM   #2
dyl

Very nice! I'm in SW Ohio myself, no farm land to speak of so believe me I felt very fortunate to have a sort of club nearby. I think that is rare and if you don't have farm land, there is often no place to shoot in rural areas. I hope to someday make a range on some land. What sort of maintenance do you have to do for a home range? Mow the grass? Bush hog? How often?
Old October 11, 2019, 07:08 AM   #3
PJHeck

10-4.....we are in SE,Ohio,....... The area inside the fencing you see is part garden, part shooting area. She mows everything this side the fence about once a week early in the year, twice a week toward fall. Cattle graze everything on the other side. Interesting thing about cattle, they constantly nose in the targets...????????

PJH
Old October 21, 2019, 07:27 PM   #4
44caliberkid

I used to live on three acres and had a good up to 50 yard range, shooting front to rear of the property. I could get 100 yards going side to side, but that was between the house and out buildings, so I only did that a few times when no one was home. Didn't want a kid running out into the yard while I was shooting. It was so great to be able to go out and shoot a few rounds anytime I wanted. Now I go to a club with 25, 50, 100 yard outdoor range with covered stations. It is only about a 10 minute drive. I feel sorry for people who have to drive an hour + to a range that's full of other people. I also know a few farmers who will let me shoot, especially when crops are out. I can get out to 300 - 500 yards there.
Old October 21, 2019, 07:42 PM   #5
PJHeck

We shoot off a table, she is missing a foot, & I am not much of a long ranger. And, I like casual targets, tin cans, AC refill canisters & etc., They usually jump when hit. I took some machine guns to a political rally in WVa. this past Sat. Lots of shooters. They all put their long range rifles away when I showed up. I brought two of the AC canisters. They put them out about 30 yds. They set them back up a bunch of times in 600 or so we shot from MG 42 & another 300 from a Thompson. They also shot at their 100 & 300 yd targets with the MG 42....I never did see anyone go check for hits, but the 100 target flew all to pieces. Two senators & one congress candidate shot along with everyone else.

PJH