The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 13, 2018, 06:50 AM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

Shooting Yourself As Political Protest

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/...mpression=true

A College of Southern Nevada sociology professor shot himself in the arm with a .22LR in the campus bathroom to protest Donald Trump. I’ve seen performance art taken to ridiculous levels in political protest before; but this is a new low.

I wonder how long beofre the professor’s stunt is used in a statistic to argue for more gun control? The forerunner of a new media strategy to convince people that dangerously mentally ill people are getting their hands on guns?
Old September 13, 2018, 07:53 AM   #2
TXAZ

Well there were severally felonies listed that won’t get prosecuted.
I’d like to hear Glenn’s perspective on this one.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 13, 2018, 10:31 AM   #3
ocharry

Bart.....i would bet this never gets any traction because it is one of their minions

how about a strategy argument that we have DANGEROUS MENTALLY ILL PEOPLE TEACHING OUT YOUTH!!!!

this idiot missed,,,should have been waiting for the flash to go off,,,,,,but im sure it isnt his fault,,,,Trump made him do it

or how about the fact that he had a firearm on the campus???? im sure they have a gun free zone,,,,,so i wonder if he will be charged with anything like all the other nuts that have taken guns to school,,,,,im not a betting man but i would be on the side of NO HE WONT

ocharry
Old September 13, 2018, 10:54 AM   #4
K_Mac

Heaven help us! I am a big believer in the right to protest most anything that tips your boat. I'm also good with peaceful civil disobedience to make your point. Committing several firearms felonies while putting others at risk crosses the line. A fatal self inflicted wound might have made his point better and ended the threat...

If I accidentally shoot self in the bathroom of a local school while using the toilet I am going to prison. We'll see what happens here.
Old September 13, 2018, 10:58 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

That's another "school shooting" for Bloomberg's list.
Old September 13, 2018, 11:17 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
sociology professor shot himself in the arm with a .22LR in the campus bathroom to protest Donald Trump.
Maybe. That's what he told a bystander, but was it the truth??
Maybe it was a suicide attempt, and he just chickened out....

Then decided to claim it was in protest against Trump, so as to not look quite so bad...and to gain sympathy from other Trump haters...

Generally speaking, protests are done in public. Not in the bathroom.

Is he going to claim his act was an expression of free speech???

Which begs the question, do we have the right to injure (or even kill) ourselves as an expression of free speech, and thereby protected under the First Amendment???

Or, does it fall under the "pursuit of happiness" clause??

Either way, or neither, I guarantee you there are lots of people who work in law enforcement, medical, and mental health fields who believe they have a responsibility and an obligation to stop you or I from doing that.

Most people who deliberately injure themselves to make a point, are considered mentally ill.

Most people who do something as a protest against something do it so the public sees it. They do it to bring attention to their cause. They don't go hide in the men's bathroom and do it away from the eyes of the public.

Very thoughtful of him to leave a note and a $100 bill for the janitor, but rather thoughtless (and I suspect criminally negligent) to leave the (loaded?) handgun on the bathroom floor for kids to find it....

To me, claiming he shot himself (in the ARM!) as a political protest doesn't just smell, it reeks...

It's reported a preliminary hearing will be held on the 17th. I think the good Professor ought to be put away, as a danger to himself (and others), but we'll have to see what happens at the hearing...
Old September 13, 2018, 11:19 AM   #7
BarryLee

I suppose the school is lucky he wasn't protesting fossil fuels.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 13, 2018, 12:33 PM   #8
Prof Young

Should have been fired.

Academic freedom and freedom of speech don't protect dangerous wrecklessness. If I was that person's academic dean or college pres they would have been fired.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old September 13, 2018, 01:07 PM   #9
Onward Allusion

I guess he didn't aim high enough.
Old September 13, 2018, 01:26 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Let's do our best to refrain from yielding to the admittedly strong temptation to make comments about his aim, etc., or this thread will go down the drain, rapidly.

As to using this incident as a statistic for more gun control, of course they will. It did happen, after all.

The Professor will have his (first) day in court, soon. We'll hear then, what, if anything he claims as his motivation for breaking multiple laws, and shooting himself.
Old September 13, 2018, 01:26 PM   #11
FITASC

So what was he thinking this protest would accomplish?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 13, 2018, 03:08 PM   #12
zukiphile

Would Martin Fackler count this as a one shot stop?
Old September 13, 2018, 06:07 PM   #13
Glenn E. Meyer

My perspective is that we don't have enough info. We do have folks killing themselves in political protests that also have suicidal and psychopathological causality, as in:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3933598

I'd wait to see more investigations. Shooting yourself by accident is not unknown either.
Old September 13, 2018, 06:11 PM   #14
FITASC

He SHOULD be charged with 3 felonies; so he SHOULD lose his job and spend many years staring out bars of the NV prison in Lovelock, NV
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 13, 2018, 06:15 PM   #15
Glenn E. Meyer

If he was suicidal, then imprisoning him is stupid. Let's wait to see what investigation brings out.

So cursing him out because he said something about Trump isn't productive.

Would you curse out someone who did a suicidal protest against a politician you didn't like?

Close to close, friends.
Old September 13, 2018, 06:42 PM   #16
Mainah

The decision about his academic tenure will be one heck of a faculty senate meeting. Arming teachers has some interesting consequences.
Old September 13, 2018, 06:49 PM   #17
FITASC

If he was suicidal, why did he shoot himself in the arm and not the head? IMO, this was a publicity stunt, AND multiple felonies and he should get to feel the wrath of the NV prison system....
Old September 13, 2018, 06:59 PM   #18
Glenn E. Meyer

So let's wait and see.

I'll close this until we get more info. If you see a legit analysis, PM me or another mod and we can reopen.